Market chat

Books 7 & 9 on your list

This will give you a feel for the mentality of a trader which you definitely need to grasp.

I'll take a copy of 10 if you got one going spare!

bigblue,
Thanks! I'll buy them, or at least one of them, too. So far I ordered the book from Van Tharp.

Anyone know the margin requirements for the FTSE 100 futures contract ?

It's £10 pp but I'm not sure what the margin is for intraday positions.

Thanks, I'm planning to use IB.

Should be OK with £5000 in the account I guess (1 contract).

It does vary, believe it or not Mo. I know it is set by the exchange, but brokers can impose their own criteria.
Have found IB to have the lowest limits at the moment.

Options.

Whilst it depends on who you use, I believe that generally speaking it is 5%, or 10% for positions held overnight. So with the FTSE at 4000, the exposure at £10 per point will be £40,000. So 10% will require £4000 margin for positions held overnight, and £2,000 for intraday positions. Some brokers require an additional 25% tho' - e.g. £5,000/£2,500.

Hello Options, thanks for that.

I have tried the Easy2Trade demo (I think you use them ?) but I was put off by the charges.

I plan to trade IB for a few weeks, since I can make money on the FTSE with CMC, but the spread is a bit steep (4 points, mounts up over several hundred trades).

If you use Easy2Trade, how have you found them ?

All the best,

mo

Hi Mo.

Your right. I used to use Easy2.

But now use IB extensively. Certainly cheaper.

Currently using the IB feed to power Sierra charts rt and trading off that.

Average 2 point spread. Instant fills at market
Back up rubbish though. and the site is hard going.

Should be easy to find intraday margin spec. It's not.
I know it's there somewhere. Acc min though is very low.
5G is enough m8.

Watch on first set up as you may be set for overnight margin. You may have to give 'em a kick to get 'em to change it.

Pet hate? No one seems to know what's going on. Ask a question and when you do get a reply a few hours later; they miss the point entirely. Damn yanks. LOL. No offence Naz.

All the best Mo.

Options

Bit more on that average 2 point spread. Mostly it is 1 point and at times even half a point. Though of course if things take off suddenly it can be as much as 3 to 4 points for a short while before it falls back in line.
But always inside sb spreads, and no bias. ie. it is always either side of the true price.

Options.

Yeah, sorry m8, I click on it every day, should have realised.

Have both installed; the desktop, and through their site.

Supposed to be no difference according to one of their guys.

Yet, another one of their blokes said that the desktop may be more stable.

Need to know anything else. Just ask.

Options.

Hi Morris,

Just to back up what Options has already said really.....I also opened an account with Easy2Trade and IB. I find Easy2's software much more user friendly, and there's no comparision in terms of customer service ie Easy2 actually offer some! But the fact is IBs commissions are about half the price.

Just make sure if you trade with IB you get your stop in as soon as you trade because if you lose access to the platform, you've got little chance of getting through to them on the phone to close the trade (BracketTrader or AutoTrader can help here). With Easy2, if there's a problem they answer the phone very quickly and will exit your position for you.

Good luck.

H.

Hi Henry.
Have you tried the bracket trader or auto trader at all.
If so I'd like to know your views.

Placing a stop at the same time as entering a trade is a sound idea. (most times.)

Any idea if they would work as intended, as stops are held with IB (for liffe) and not in the market?

Options.

Opts,

Be careful of both AT and BT of them is my advice. I have tried both and each has let me down at times. It could have been VERY bad for me. Get used to using TWS direct. It's easy enough to place stops quickly, you just have the line ready as soon as you have placed your trade, or even set it before you trade. You can also use OCO orders, that are easy to set up too.

HTH