Manipulating small markets

issi1206

Hi there
I´m kind of new in the stock market. I am just wondering whether you can manipulate a small market.
I live in Iceland and most of the companies on the ICEX(Icelandic stock exchange) have little volume. For example, for one company, a volume of about 500.000$ makes the stock price go up 3%.
So isn´t there a way for people with good money to manipulate the market. Like buying for 500.000$ 5 times a day and sell it at the end of the day, wouldn´t tha be profitable or something like that?

Regards, Asgeir

Asgeir, have you read "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre?

It would be a good place to start to answer that question.

issi1206 said:
Hi there
I´m kind of new in the stock market. I am just wondering whether you can manipulate a small market.
I live in Iceland and most of the companies on the ICEX(Icelandic stock exchange) have little volume. For example, for one company, a volume of about 500.000$ makes the stock price go up 3%.
So isn´t there a way for people with good money to manipulate the market. Like buying for 500.000$ 5 times a day and sell it at the end of the day, wouldn´t tha be profitable or something like that?

Regards, Asgeir

Hello Asgeir,

Presumably an equivalent sale would have the opposite effect - so effectively no gain?

UTB

issi1206 said:
Hi there

Regards, Asgeir

I would guess that if you can buy stock, you'll be in for a fcking shock when you try and sell it! in the words of The Eagles.. " you can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave..."

I beleive one of the ways is to manipulate the price of the underlying stock in conjunction with buying puts or calls