MA Cross-Over Strategy for the Newbie

Does that mean if one likes the names mentioned, is he\she an @sshole lover ;)

Funny, how in every thread that I've looked at thus far, you follow in TheRamble's footsteps, with a Robin-like "agreement" follow-up to anything TheRamble has to say. Are you sure you are not TheRamble II. :sleep:

Check out the opening thread and follow the directions, if you wish to get my reply on the topic. Otherwise, you can hang out and wait for someone else to. How this thread will proceed is pretty much spelled out inside the first post.

Do u need the 2 mas to fully cross or will a touch do?

This is TradeVector., Ha ha ha....

Apparently, this all you are good for on this forum - useless drivel. This is how you have obtained 7+ thousand posts on the internet. You are a four (4) year old with too much internet privilege on his hands.

A Spotlight Queen, no doubt. Yeah, I got your number, pal. You just keep watching this thread, because it is crystal clear that you are not a valued contributor in this one - as you already know that trading the cross just can't be done. Oh, no - impossible, says TheRambler. You've calculated the Quadratic Equation that tells you it just can't be done, and you've even written a White Paper on the subject of: It Can't Be Done. You are the master of it can't be done, so we should all just give up now and settle for our 10% trading accuracy to a target that is so astronomical that all the magnitude in all the markets of the world combined, can't bail us out of our **** poor trading habits.

Yeah, I've got your number, alright. Spotlight Queen. ;) (but, that will just be our little secret. we won't tell anyone.)

TheRambler, Queen Bee. Not to worry. Nobody is going to steal your theatrical role in Gone With the Trend, so don't get your g-string in a knot. You will still have 9,000 posts to your credit here on T2W before 2012, guaranteed. ;)

In the meantime, get out of my thread, Juliet. And, take Romeo with you as you exit stage left.

Do u need the 2 mas to fully cross or will a touch do?

Good question:

Fast > Slow = Long
Slow < Fast = Short

Thanks for getting me to clarify.

Later, we will add some things this overly simplistic entry trigger, but for now - this is quite fine to get started with. I'll post what my chart looks like tomorrow, just to make sure we are all on the same page.

Irony. Rambling.

Check out my post above regarding using one MA and the price.

Be careful. I can detect a Quebecois accent in your typing. LOL.

As for forker, I can't remeber if he's one of my multi nicks or not. If he's also posting drivel, chances are, he is/I am.

I quite like the approach you suggest, but I do have a few concerns about the strategy.

The direction of the monthly bar has no statistical significance on the outcome of a trade on a 1 minute chart utilising a 5 pip stop (and if this where a trading site rather than a zoo, I'd happily post the research that proves this) I'd argue that determining which trend(s) you are trying to exploit is a key stage in strategy development, suggesting the monthly chart has any sort of bearing is misleading.

Whilst I advocate the use of MAE/MFE, surely a lagging entry signal based on lagging MA's coupled with a 5 pip hard stop kind of invalidates any meaningful MAE analysis. I'd be more inclined for training purposes to use a larger stop, or no stop at all and a time based exit. If you really want to get any meningful MAE/MFE data you need to take away arbitary constraints that are influencing the outcome.

Good question:

Fast > Slow = Long
Slow < Fast = Short

Thanks for getting me to clarify.

Later, we will add some things this overly simplistic entry trigger, but for now - this is quite fine to get started with. I'll post what my chart looks like tomorrow, just to make sure we are all on the same page.

You've not really answered my question. Touch or full cross and how much does it have to cross by?

I think that to get the best out of this method a newbie will need some of TRO s indicators:devilish:

*** Google the terms: MFE and MAE as they relate to trading. For each trade, note the respective MFE/MAE in absolute value and in Ratio form, where you divide MFE by MAE to obtain the ratio. The smaller the ratio, the more your skills are improving and the more you are learning about Real Magnitude. Keep a log of this data - Excel is preferable as you can do analysis on the data later.

Good advice. This is one of my most valuable metrics. Excellent for setting stops/targets and assessing quality of trades.

I quite like the approach you suggest, but I do have a few concerns about the strategy.

LOL, you better! That's the point of this exercise. :)

The direction of the monthly bar has no statistical significance on the outcome of a trade on a 1 minute chart utilising a 5 pip stop (and if this where a trading site rather than a zoo, I'd happily post the research that proves this)

Oh, you better believe it does. Why? Because hidden inside of each "bar," is that bar's Volatility Footprint, which is composed of five (5) distinct vegas - or five distinct volatility dimensions. This is why being able to think outside the box to arrive at derivatives for price, is so important. However, this is way beyond the scope of this thread and I don't want to start confusing the Newbies with talk of Distinct Vega in Five Dimensions to map the Footprint of a bar. We just don't need to go that far, here.

Suffice it to say that there's more to a bar of data than meets the eye. Just know that each bar as five (5) distinct dimensions that yield its footprint. I have an indicator that maps this footprint and it tells me the statistical probability for a certain degree of price action within each dimension of the footprint.

I'd argue that determining which trend(s) you are trying to exploit is a key stage in strategy development, suggesting the monthly chart has any sort of bearing is misleading.

When you learn more, you'll understand more. For now, try to be the student working his way through training. Clearly, you did not know about Distinct Vega within each bar of data, nor did you know that there were five (5) dimensions of price action within each bar of data, so try to visualize that concept before casting dispersions about something being misleading, when you really don't have enough knowledge about the subject to make such a declaration.

Whilst I advocate the use of MAE/MFE, surely a lagging entry signal based on lagging MA's coupled with a 5 pip hard stop kind of invalidates any meaningful MAE analysis.

If the point was to make every trade a success, yes. But, the point here is to teach a principle and a concept, from which a new trader can more quickly understand the necessity to get their head out of the box of convention. I believe I've also included additional statements about the 5 pip Stop level, that should make it clear that it is there for a different purpose for now and it will get modified as more is understood by the Newbie.

I'd be more inclined for training purposes to use a larger stop, or no stop at all and a time based exit.

You are free to use whatever stop you want to use. However, if the point is lost, I'd appreciate you allowing the others who did use the correct stop for the assignment to move on without hindering them with additional questions that would have been answered, had the 5 pip stop been used at the outset.

At anytime, if you have a better way of teaching this material, then by all means, go for it!

If you really want to get any meningful MAE/MFE data you need to take away arbitary constraints that are influencing the outcome.

There are no constraints on the MFE (read the exit logic for each trade above). The MAE is constrained for a purpose that will be revealed later. Re-read the post - especially that portion that indicates this exercise to have a psychological component as well as a skills development component.

Thanks for posting. I'll see you guys tomorrow. :)

Often times, we see a post that reads something like this:

Hello T2W!

I'm a total Newbie and I'm ready to learn how to trade successfully. I want to know how I can use a simple Moving Average Cross over System, to consistently make profits. I'm open to suggestions and I am ready, able and willing to learn. What MA periods should I use and what time-frame is best to trade?

Thanks,

You moved on from your 'holy grail' of psar + dmi (adjusted and displayed as a histogram) then?

You've not really answered my question. Touch or full cross and how much does it have to cross by?

What does > mean in the context of Fast line and Slow line?
What does < mean in the context of Fast line and Slow line?

I am going to expect at least a basic understanding of elemental mathematics, here.

If > then cross from below is by definition full.
If < then cross fro above is by definition full.

Do you want to say "Oh! My bad" now or later - :D

You moved on from your 'holy grail' of psar + dmi (adjusted and displayed as a histogram) then?

What does your post have to do with the title of this thread? Are you a Newbie trader, or a successful trader? And, what is it exactly that you successfully trade?

Good advice. This is one of my most valuable metrics. Excellent for setting stops/targets and assessing quality of trades.
Erm..knowing how far your trade went against you and how much potential profit you gave back before exiting are only useful within the context of each event. Determination of 'why' they went where they went before ending up where they ended up is an extremely useful exercise, but those data in isolation are meaningless.

What does > mean in the context of Fast line and Slow line?
What does < mean in the context of Fast line and Slow line?

I am going to expect at least a basic understanding of elemental mathematics, here.

If > then cross from below is by definition full.
If < then cross fro above is by definition full.

Do you want to say "Oh! My bad" now or later - :D

Nope. Wot i do want to say is that your system is a slappers gusset. Reason: You are waffling too much about it.

Now go and sort ya head out.

Erm..knowing how far your trade went against you and how much potential profit you gave back before exiting are only useful within the context of each event. Determination of 'why' they went where they went before ending up where they ended up is an extremely useful exercise, but those data in isolation are meaningless.

That would be wrong, not to mention redundant and useless.

Stating that the context "of the event" (hyperbole) is the only thing that makes MFE/MAE data useful, is like stating that the lift coefficient is the only thing that makes the glide ratio of an aircraft useful. Why not tell us something we don't already know.

Of course, it is important within the context of "the event" because the entire purpose of the event is to net a profit. And, if no net profit was realized, then by definition it was because the trader exited the position closer to the MAE than the MFE. In which case, not knowing where both extremes were, robs the trader of any useful post-trade analysis parameters (data) within which they can derive possible changes to the either the Limit or Stop level(s).

Stop pretending to know what you are talking about here, please. At each turn, when I correct you, it becomes rather clear that you really don't trade for a living.

Nope. Wot i do want to say is that your system is a slappers gusset. Reason: You are waffling too much about it.

Now go and sort ya head out.

You mean, you don't know what Greater Than (>), and Less Than (<), mean?

I would say that if you are struggling with the concept of > and/or <, then this thread might not be for you. When someone repeats the same thing to you twice, that's called repeating, not waffling. If I had changed what I said to you the second time, then that would be waffling, not repeating.

It would seem to me that you might want to go find another thread that's a bit slower.

Such clueless people.