Lycos free charts

mercury7

Anybody else using the Lycos free Live charts?

If so, have you had increasing problems with the page disappearing,ie being cut off, with the message that the server has been reset. This has been getting worse, and today in particular was very bad.

From what I can make out, it seems the goalposts may have been changed, as at the top of the charts it says, this is a demo. And further states it is only for 14 days.

Up till now have had no probs. with free live charts, but am wondering if they are trying to get everyone to pay for one of their packages instead.
Any views appreciated.
Kevin

I subscribed to livecharts for about a year (1999-2000). Back then, the only technical difference between subscribing and not subscribing was that you had 3 sizes of chart to choose from.

Reliability did not improve with a subscription. It would still frequently disconnect/lag.

I expect nothing's changed. I still like the quick & easy access of livecharts. If only they could make it reliable.

I haven't used Livecharts in a long time so can't comment on its reliability, but I have just received an email informining I only have 14 days left of my free trial :confused:

I'm not one to moan at others penny pinching, but,........ surely the low cost of Sierra Charts can be afforded by all to get reliable professional charts? It has to be worth it just to relieve the aggrovation of unreliability.Surely you want something you can rely on? What if your trading platform behaved this way?

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are prepared to throw hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds into the stock market, yet appear far too stingy to pay for the tools needed to trade, ie a feed!

LiveCharts costs $9.95 per month (yes, just £6.33) plus real time exchange fees ($1 per month for each US stock exchange, ie 65p).

If you want to do a job, you need tools. As ChartMan says, you can always go for Sierra charts from www.sierrachart.com and that will cost you around £36 per month.

If anyone cannot afford to buy the tools for the job, perhaps they shouldn't be trading?

Lycos -Thanks for help

Thanks AC1 for your positive comments regarding Lycos, much apprreciated. Am thinking of going for their $20 p,m option, and see if it is more reliable.
As you say mmillar, if you have received an e-mail telling you that your 14 days is up, it confirms what I thought, that their system has changed.

Thanks skimbleshanks-NOT- for your unhelpful and rude contribution, my question was simple and to the point, and directed at people who use this Lycos service.
I trust that when I reach the dizzy heights of being able to afford direct access trading or perhaps understand Level2 trading, I will not put people down who know less than myself.
I have found so far all the members on this board most helpful - excluding you.
If I shouldn't be trading, perhaps you should not be writing messages!

OH !!!!!!!! I Think that last post was uncalled for KEVIN ( would it not have been better for you to ask Skim to give the details of the $9.95 feed instead of the $20 one that you are thinking of going for ) :rolleyes:

Not a personal dig from either of us I don't think, just that it makes sense to invest in something "professional". Note AC1 says that even subscribing didn't improve matters. BullishBear has just subscribed to lycos, I'll let you know how he gets on.... or maybe he'll post himself. The difference between Lycos and Sierra is about as far apart as you can get in terms of features etc.

Lycos charts

Many thanks Chartman, I would like to know how BullishBear gets on with his subscription, that will influence my decision.

I realize that the system I am using at present is not ideal, but in the circumstances, and the reliability so far, it has not been too bad, together with using prophet finance's charts on the screen at the same time, which may not be state of the art, admittedly, but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

I take your point re-Sierra, and this may be the answer.

Thanks Kevin

I'd go along with that- we all started with nothing, scratching freebies as we went along.
I'll keep you informed re BB and Lycos.

mercury7 said:
Thanks skimbleshanks-NOT- for your unhelpful and rude contribution, my question was simple and to the point, and directed at people who use this Lycos service.
I trust that when I reach the dizzy heights of being able to afford direct access trading or perhaps understand Level2 trading, I will not put people down who know less than myself.

I have found so far all the members on this board most helpful - excluding you.
If I shouldn't be trading, perhaps you should not be writing messages!

Mercury7

I am astounded that you feel my comments were unhelpful and rude. If you took the time to read, you will notice that I did not refer to you, but it was a comment about new traders in general.

I use the Lycos service and that is why I replied.

Hi Skim. I'm sure that you can look after yourself but I'd just like to say that it would be hard to find anyone more helpful and the same can be said of many others on the Board. Some of us, including me, need firm guidance. Keep up the good work. :cheesy:

Romun, thank you very much for your nice comment!

As you know, there are many full-time traders here who feel that it would be nice to share our knowledge and experience with others, particularly those starting out on this long and winding road to become successful traders. I had no help when I started out and made loads of expensive mistakes; I would therefore hate to see others needlessly make the same mistakes I did, and that is why we all try and tell it 'as it really is', and not the flowery version you see in books and courses written by people who can't and don't trade. If anyone takes exception at hearing the truth, then so be it.

I have to second that Skim. No sucking up of course, you know I could never do that. I learnt the hard way, like you. Lostalottadosh and vowed never again. You are quite correct, information and advice is given here is, in the most, from people that have all learnt the hard way. You will not get this advice from books, lectures, get rich overnight schemes and so on. Take on board what you find here and you will surely benefit. If you chose to ignore it, at least make a mental note of it. One day you may see the light and realise that it wasn't just someone having a pop or talking bull****. I'm not having a pop at anyone,it's against my nature, and peeps don't need to pop back. Read, learn and inwardly digest. You won't believe just how much torment I went through when others tried to persuade me to switch from AIQ charts to Sierra charts. I thought AIQ was the Bees Knees and had spent 2 years getting to know it. When I suggest using Sierra, it's not out of some kind of ego trip, just the opposite. It's something that I believe in as being an invaluable tool in the trading kit. I too have had to cut my cloth according to my width and I'm skinny! Take a parallel from the DIY market- if you want to buy a tool that will do a good job and last a long time, buy something that is substantial, not the cheapest one on the shelf.
At the end of the day, a Lycos subscription may well be the answer for some. I used it for a while for tick and trin and found it very useful, and I admit I used the freebie version because I was too tight to pay for it as well as the AIQ subscription.I appreciate that there are some , like myself, that don't have bottomless pockets to invest in all the goodies. :(
I had a nice day too, but we won't talk about that. :)

lycos charts

skimble,

I can only say that it is best when answering a question from us newbies, to be aware of how the phrases look to the person receiving that message, in other words be in their boots.
You quote, "I don't think I have ever been so taken aback by a posting". But that is exactly the feeling I had when you said to me,
"It never ceases to amaze me how some people are prepared to throw hundreds, if not thousands of pounds into the stock market, yet appear far too stingy to pay for the tools needed to pay for the tools needed to trade ie. a feed.Then further, "if anyone cannot afford to pay for the tools for the job,perhaps they shouldn't be trading! Hardly encouraging, not specifically for me but others who are hoping to glean some encouragement from senior members.

If it is a comment to new traders in general, as you say, that makes matters even worse.

As for giving you a bad vote, does that mean that even if we think that should be the case in our opinion, we should give everyone a very good vote. That would be a nonsense.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but in my jobs that I have had as a manager, my first consideration in addressing to someone I have never conversed with before, is to give them encouragement, and be positive. I would not dream of calling a person stingy, and to state it may be a good idea for them not to trade.
To finish, you do not know my position, and in my posting nowhere did I say that I would not pay for a feed. In fact I am following BullishBear's experience with the Lycos paid feed, whether it be $9 or $20 per month.
To be honest, I wish I'd never asked a question.