Lost Data From Floppy

bracke

Experienced member
I have an Excel file on a floppy disk from which I have lost all the data. Is it possible to regain the data?

When the file is opened the title is shown at the top but all data and formulae have gone, I don't know what I did to cause it to happen. Is there a method of undeleting the data from the floppy?

Your replies would be much appreciated.

Regards

bracke

Brackie,

I think that youv'e lost it , you can try to use a third party file recovery like norton utilities, maybe try to run a search for the file not on drive C:............................good luck

wheezergeezer & dc2000

Thank you for your suggestions

It is not on the c drive

I have down loaded magic undelete from ondata but so far have had no success in finding the data.
I will attempt to contact ondata to enquire if they can tell me how to use magic undelete as it is not very clear.

I know that I have not overwritten it as I have not entered any data on the disk since I lost the data from the file

Thank you both for your help

Regards

bracke

have you checked for any temp files. I have lost information before then found I could recover it from a ~tmp file.

adrianallen99

Thanks for suggestion, looked in temp files but not there.

Regards

bracke

Bracke

What happens if you try to copy the file from the floppy disk to the C: drive? If you get an error then you have bad sector(s) on the floppy disk, and you may be able to recover this using an undelete tool as previously mentioned. Another thing well worth trying in this case is reading the file on another computer.

If however the file copies OK then it's likely that the file contents are corrupt, but you may be able to recover it. Do a search on Google for something like 'recover corrupt excel file', 'excel data recovery' etc. and you'll see lots of shareware tools for trying to fix such damaged files, try them out.

Good luck
KenN

knorrie

Thanks for your reply I will try your suggestions and post the result

Regards

bracke

I have used goggle to search for assistance.

There are a large number of companies offering their services either to recover the data from the disk or to sell software. I have not taken up any of the offers.

Still looking for free software as the lost data is not worth paying for but it would be nice to recover it

Regards

bracke

oatman

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have registered and posted my problem and will await events.

Regards

bracke

It's a great site. If ever you get a problem, look in.
There is a lot of knowledge there and friendly people. :D

Other sites that deal with technical computer issues are www.experts-exchange.com

Also file scavenger 2.1 is good for recovering lost/corrupt files, not sure if it works on floppy disks. It can be used to recover small files for free, but large files require you to register.

adrianallen99

Thank you for your reply.

Where can I obtain file scavenger 2.1 please.

Regards

bracke

www.quetek.com

Ive used it before and it seems to work pretty well. You can check to see what it can recover first and then if it does what you want but files are too large to recover it cost $40.

Like I said, I dont know if it works on Floppy disks, you would need to check this out.

adrianallen99

Thank you for the quetek site, unfortunately file scavenger 2.1 does not operate with windows98 which is the version I use.

Regards

bracke

Offer Of Help

Hi Bracket,
Have you run a virus scanner over it?
If you make a copy of the floppy in DOS.
Then send it to me.
I'll have a look at it for you.
Contact me off list
Badd.

badd boi

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have run a virus checker over it but none detected.

Thank you for your offer to look at it for me but I must regretably decline as it contains personal data.

Regards

bracke