Looking to get more serious

Hello

I have been spread betting for 3 months with a free £100 that InterTrader gave me for opening an account. I have managed to turn that into £380 and I'm now looking to get more serious with trading this year.

I mainly trade FTSE, DAX N' BUNDS each day, but the InterTrader spread on BUNDS is 3 points and IG are only 2 points, so I will probably be opening an account with them next week as its cheaper for my trading style.

I first heard about spread betting about a year ago, but I never followed it up, then after receiving some emails about it from brokers I had signed up to newsletters for, I decided to look more into it. I have been busy reading books on the subject and really trading in general, so the offer from InterTrader for a free £100 was a great start for me with the only risk being the books I bought to learn from.

These are the books I have read so far -

• The Financial Spread Betting Handbook: The definitive guide to making money trading spread bets: A Guide to Making Money Trading Spread Bets
  • Financial Spread Betting For Dummies
  • The Naked Trader's Guide to Spread Betting: A guide to making money from shares in up or down markets
  • 7 Charting Tools for Spread Betting: A practical guide to making money from spread betting with technical analysis
  • Bets and the City: Sally Nicoll's spread betting diary
  • Come into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • A Beginner's Guide to Short Term Trading: Maximize Your Profits in 3 Days to 3 Weeks
  • The Market Maker's Edge: Day Trading Tactics From a Wall Street Insider

Some of these books are great IMO and some are rubbish, so if anyone can recommend any books that would be great.

Hello

I mainly trade FTSE, DAX N' BUNDS each day, but the InterTrader spread on BUNDS is 3 points and IG are only 2 points, so I will probably be opening an account with them next week as its cheaper for my trading style.

Hi there, Im guessing you only trade £1 or £2 per point going by the size of your account, You have got to ask yourself, Will 1 point difference in spread make a vast difference to my p/l ? Over a long period then possibly, On the other hand, how have intertrader managed your trades, have you had much slippage ? re-quotes ? etc..
You may save on spread with IG but lose it many other ways. food for thought..

I trade with intertrader and think they are spot on, imo..

Hello

I have been spread betting for 3 months with a free £100 that InterTrader gave me for opening an account. I have managed to turn that into £380 and I'm now looking to get more serious with trading this year.

I first heard about spread betting about a year ago, but I never followed it up, then after receiving some emails about it from brokers I had signed up to newsletters for, I decided to look more into it. I have been busy reading books on the subject and really trading in general, so the offer from InterTrader for a free £100 was a great start for me with the only risk being the books I bought to learn from.

These are the books I have read so far -

• The Financial Spread Betting Handbook: The definitive guide to making money trading spread bets: A Guide to Making Money Trading Spread Bets
  • Financial Spread Betting For Dummies
  • The Naked Trader's Guide to Spread Betting: A guide to making money from shares in up or down markets
  • 7 Charting Tools for Spread Betting: A practical guide to making money from spread betting with technical analysis
  • Bets and the City: Sally Nicoll's spread betting diary
  • Come into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • A Beginner's Guide to Short Term Trading: Maximize Your Profits in 3 Days to 3 Weeks
  • The Market Maker's Edge: Day Trading Tactics From a Wall Street Insider

Some of these books are great IMO and some are rubbish, so if anyone can recommend any books that would be great.

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
Pit Bull
Market Wizards
New Market Wizards
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy

Pit Bull is narcissistic, self agrandising ego driven drivel. The other stuff is good background reading.

Hi there, Im guessing you only trade £1 or £2 per point going by the size of your account, You have got to ask yourself, Will 1 point difference in spread make a vast difference to my p/l ? Over a long period then possibly, On the other hand, how have intertrader managed your trades, have you had much slippage ? re-quotes ? etc..
You may save on spread with IG but lose it many other ways. food for thought..

I trade with intertrader and think they are spot on, imo..

Hi,

Yeah I just do £1/£2 pp at the moment, I do have a fair bit of cash to put into this, but I will only do that if I can prove myself successful over the longer term and I find a spread betting company that I'm really happy and satisfied with.

I'm likely to go with IG with the research I have done so far.

Last edited:
If you have turned £100 into £380 in three months, well, thats pretty successful to me.

What is it about intertrader you dont like ? just the platform ?

If you have turned £100 into £380 in three months, well, thats pretty successful to me.

What is it about intertrader you dont like ? just the platform ?

Yeah the platform is not really great IMO and the charts are a bit fluff. Also I have read a lot of bad press about them.

I just get a vibe that things would change if I started trading a £15,000 account with them. Whereas IG seem to have a lot of good press and seem to be the #1 company for spread betting.

This is just based on my research so far!

keep us posted on the transition then, be interesting to see how they compare (y)

read Wilder and particularly the Adam theory ............

sure many would consider the Adam theory should be considered cr*p..... until you then realise the guy wrote some phenomenal indicators that he then happily derides in his Adam thesis

N

With a small account it is useful to compound and grow your stake size incrementally whilst still complying with your money management rules.

IG will facilitate this as you'll be able to trade at say £2.12 rather than have to make a 50% increase to £3.00.