Laptop systems

Do you use an external Mouse with your Laptop ?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trader333,
No clear idea as I'm not e "techie" but I think it basically switches the CPU up and down in a more opportunistic way.
The description on the download site is all I have to go on but there may be some notes that come with the dowload.

DowDog,
Keep me posted on how well it works because I might need to try it too. :D

I have now downloaded CPUIdle and will see if it makes any difference to both temperature and computer speed.

So far so good. Hasn't cut out yet and laptop doesn't seem as hot as usual. CPU speed absolutely ok. Fingers crossed.

Only drawback is that I won't be able to cook dinner on top of my Dell whilst trading.

I'll leave it a week just in case a heavy day on the Dow floors it :cheesy:
Keep me posted, possibly by pm since this is drifting OT to the thread.
Regards

N.

Anyone else using Cpuidle? I just bunged it on to have a look and my temp dropped from 41 to 30. Now 31.

Yes Oatman. I downloaded it yesterday becos my laptop was seriously overheating and kept cutting out. Since yesterday my laptop has been much cooler and has not cut out at all. There is no discernible effect on CPU speed - if anything it seems faster now.

How do you measure the temperature ? Do you stick a thermometer in one of its USB ports ??!!

Yes I saw you were putting it on so I thought I'd have a look, being nosey :cheesy:
If you download aida32 http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php it will tell you more about your computer than you ever wanted to know.
Good luck, let us know what it's running at.

I think cpuidle is an excellent utility. I have added it to the utility section of the Software Guide and thanks to Nildes for the information.

Nildes
I have no problem with you using this thread for Lap top issues.

a good a place as any ?

especially as I am thinking of buying a lap top

or was !

don't like the idea of cooking my lunch on the keyboard
couldn't cope with the gravy !

lol

Ok Oatman. I downloaded Aida32 and I have got a huge report about my computer. Where can I find temperature ?

Glad to be of service. I'm no expert hardware wise but have bashed my head against a few of the issues that have arisen.
I used Rain on my Dell for about three years to keep it cool and it was fine.
I gave the Dell to my son because the HDD was too small and the processor too slow to keep up with the demands I was placing on it. He's taken it off to Uni to write essays on and is well pleased...its still reliable.

I'm pleased that the Rain successor Cpuidle's feedback is good and will install it on my Tosahiba next week if you are all still happy with it. :D

I'm not sure that I would buy a Laptop as a prime machine. For all the utility, the upgrade paths are expensive compared to a desktop.
Also, in terms of battery life, I only get an hours productive use away from a power supply. HDD, CDR, processor and cooling fans chew through the batteries and the less you use the power hungry components the better. :(

Clicking on Sensor yields no data I'm afraid. Maybe my laptop doesn't have a temperature !

Could be, or maybe disabled. Don't know where to look. I'll try and find out.

I sent an email to the Support guy Oatman. Maybe they can give me an answer.

What model have you got?
I'm being told it probably hasn't got a sensor.

Message from AIDA32 support...

AIDA32 cannot support all the different motherboard sensors, so if you don't
receive any information on the page Computer / Sensor, it means the sensor
chip on your motherboard is not supported by AIDA32.

Now where's my thermometer ?!