Laptop systems

Do you use an external Mouse with your Laptop ?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bonsai

Veteren member
The built in mouse thingies look and feel 'messy' to me. I know that may not sound very technical

but maybe they are something you get used to ?

Built-in mouses ( mice ) require a lot of fingering. I prefer the mouse that you can hold properly in your hand - got a much mousier feel to it.

Built in mice are fine for a lot of functions but drag and drop can be a bit tricky since you've got to hold down one button with your thumb whilst using your finger to make the move...requiring the hand to do fairly awkward stuff since the index finger and thumb are so close.
I use a Toshiba bought from e-buyer.
It works fine but the battery life is very short.
Sometimes its not worth the hassle for a half hours work and easier to stick your stuff on a memory stick and take it home. :(

Yep, but that requires a flat surface to roll on....and when you're lying back on the sofa, or sitting on the train with laptop on your knees playing Spider Solitaire..erm I mean working, where d'you put the little crittur? :LOL:

I've just bought the ' Targus cordless optical mouse' ( model No
PAWM20 ) designed especially for laptops. Love it! Wouldn't be without it now.
hampy

I've got the Logitech optical cordless mouse.
Nice but eats batteries every fortnight.

I've got a Packard Bell optical mouse plugged into my PS2 port - cant have it in the USB port because then the fingermouse thing still works and causes me all sorts of "oops I didnt mean to sell that" problems. Works like a charm, anyway.

Thank you to everyone for letting me have your views and comments.
at the moment the count is 13 externals out of 17.

Can I conclude that the "on board" mouse is therefore not ideal ?

My existing and somewhat antique laptop does not have an on board mouse and , in view of the reponse, I think I would prefer a new system without one.
I prefer a keyboard that comes up to the edge of the case.

Are such systems available anymore ? Or do we all have to succumb to the modern fashion?

I would appreciate any recommendations.

(It will only be used for working on a desk)

Last edited:
Bonsai, I think they all have the mousepadthingummybob.

FYI, I've got a Fujitsu "Amilo" lappie, 2.4Gig, 512mb ram, 40GB drive etc etc. Apart from the slightly noisy, almost constant fan, its brill.

However, I'd highly recommend Toshiba (used to use one in my work - silent and bulletproof) and of course Sony.

I use the built-in touchpad - it's wonderful! Never gets clogged up with fluff, and is much easier to use than those darn mousies.

Dragging is easy - just double tap and drag, or hold the shift key down and drag.

A woman's touch is everything...... sigh.
But technology has mooved on, dear. We now have optical mice with no balls. Still, no good for you, I guess. :cheesy:

I prefer a keyboard that comes up to the edge of the case.

Bonsai, stick an optical mouse into the back of your laptop.

Stick an external keyboard into the back of your laptop.

It's a lot cheaper than a docking-station and if you're mostly going to use it desk-based...who cares about the wires!

Bramble

:LOL:

that is actually very funny.

and I could go the whole hog and plug in a remote monitor as well ?

Hi Bonsai- Built in touchpads are brill-but would recommend disabling touch tap- I am for ever deleting or opening utils I dont want- cheers ed

My previous laptop, a Dell, came with a very good docking station.
I had the network connection, monitor, mouse, keyboard and printer all plugged into this.
Advantage?
When you want to go, one flick of the lever and the laptop was ejected forwards without ten minutes unplugging all the peripherals. :LOL: