Laptop shopping

On the subject of Vista, I have already seen laptops advertising that they are vista compatible so if you decided you had to purchase before it's launch you could cover yourself that way.
Personally I'd be inclined to wait, I have been looking at a laptop update for a few months now and decided I'd wait to see what the initial reaction to vista is like. The trouble with computers, is that somebody is always just about to release something new and faster, and if you waited for them to stand still you'd never buy one :):

I hapilly admit my tech knowledge is limited but wouldn't this (Xtreme CTX Pro) be too game orientated for trading purposes alone? I don't want something that'll make me feel like I'm really flying a plane if, when it comes to trading, my speed is let down because the technology is based moreso on the amazing colours instead of whats important (for a trading ONLY machine) :eek:

Most of the notebooks I have looked at come vista ready so I'll be more than content with that for the time being. Once Vista is launched I'll then see how it performs and decide from there.

Flicking through it definately finds itself on the list. I'm always a tad dubious with not so common brands as I have not, nor anyone I know, used an acer, but like trading, sometimes the lesser travelled road is the better route.

I have a short, well, sort of shortlist now and as good as some of the gaming machines sound, I don't think they are really what I need.

Maybe if some of you slightly more computer whizz guys could post what you think is important for a trading laptop I can set on reducing my list a bit further!

All I really know at the moment is it should be 'Dual core' and ideally vista ready, although not neccessary....

All I really know at the moment is it should be 'Dual core' and ideally vista ready, although not neccessary....
Yeah, I'd say even the dual core is a luxury, but I like to stay fairly up to date with processor technology, a good centrino would be adequate, the only other thing is RAM 1gig min and I say that's about it. Trading is really not that demanding of a computer, the setups we get are more a symptom of our thirst for the latest gadgets than any real trading need

I think there is a very good life left in XP Pro/Home yet
Interestingly I was reading somewhere the other day there is a Sp3 release planned for 2008 so yes I would say a fair bit of life left in that.

wasp said:
Flicking through it definately finds itself on the list. I'm always a tad dubious with not so common brands as I have not, nor anyone I know, used an acer, but like trading, sometimes the lesser travelled road is the better route.

I use an Acer laptop which has now just passed its 3rd birthday and am on the lookout for something new. (I did add an extra 1024MB of RAM to the 512 MB suppied which made it go some!) That said, it's served me very well and I'm v. happy with it.

This thread prompted me to have a look round to see what was about. I quite fancy the newish 20 inch Acer monster, but at nearly 7kg it's portability is questionable! We'll see.

Dual core.......is at present the new pc buzz word, you can see Intel's new tv campaign do more with less or whatever the slogan is, its not that new, Ive been been using a AMD dual core processor for nearly 18 months, its good, but how much faster it is than an ordinal CPU I'll never know, I should add at this point that I use a desktop pc NOT a laptop, but IMHO its not going to change your life that much, see past the sales pitch, I to want to buy a laptop/notebook so these posts are very welcome, the only advantage a laptop will give me is portability, NOT performance...
good luck with your search...........

Cheers for that wheezergeezer but with the neccessity and luxury bought with a laptop, this is no reason you should sacrifice the quality and performance...

I'm down to about 5 now, just weighing up the pros and cons and seeing how much I can configure to get the best I can...

I know i'm off the subject a little, but save me opening a new thread.

Im not much good with tech :eek: .. my question is, can a 15" TFT FLAT PANEL MONITOR work off a ACER1670 laptop, I want to work of two screens. if so, is it easy to fit?

Cheers guy's

Good question. I want to know as well.

By the way, I just got a Vaio laptop with top configuration weighing only 1,7 kg. Bought it in Bangkok for about £1400. It did not look like I got a huge bargain though.

laptop1 said:
I know i'm off the subject a little, but save me opening a new thread.

Im not much good with tech :eek: .. my question is, can a 15" TFT FLAT PANEL MONITOR work off a ACER1670 laptop, I want to work of two screens. if so, is it easy to fit?

Cheers guy's

If you have windows xp it is easy,

just plug in the screen and activate it in the control panel display settings .

Ian

CYOF said:
May be of interest to some:

http://www.nexus.com.cy/newnexusindex.php?f=notebooks&x=tos

I have bought the Tosh Satellite L30-134 for €599 in PC World - Ireland.

Superb machine and performs just as good as my Sony Vaio - also less than1/2 price of the Sony.
Hi CYOF, how much cr*p was pre-installed on that machine, it seems things have changed since the days when I bought my Thinkpad a few years ago, clean OS and Thinkpad utilities, nothing else. Seems nowadays most vendors I hear pre-instal varying degrees of trial software and all sorts of AOL stuff (bit of a pet hate with me) I don't see why I should have to spend hours removing the damn stuff ona new machine, I am unfamiliar with what Toshiba put on