Joey's MP Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late GBPUSD trade

I was just starting to nod off when I got filled on a breakout from balance, with the congestion forming around the Overnight Low.

Breakeven target 1 and ATR target 2 are pretty close, since a big move has already occurred from the intraday highs.

Attachments

• cable15min.gif
    cable15min.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 165
Cable Swing Bracket (My view)

I'm finding that the ranges don't tend to neatly shoehorn into calendar weeks / months or whatever. Rather, this side of the methodology is a bit arty-farty, with the best I can come up with being scruntching up the charts and defining the bracket limits as a range contained within previous support (high) and resistance (low).

With this in mind, I reckon the current swing bracket for GBPUSD is roughly:

Bracket Upper Limit: 1.4364
Bracket Lower Limit: 1.4036

Pattern breakout targets for these limits are:

Upper Breakout Target: 1.4692
Lower Brekaout Target: 1.3708

So, it looks like a visual method to determine the extremes, followed by a mechanical aproach for targets, stops and trade management.

Attachments

• currentcablebracket.gif
    currentcablebracket.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
GBP/USD (Rolling Spread)

I decided over the weekend to go "live" with my bracket method for GBPUSD, the only difference being I've decided to use an all-in/all-out approach, rather than scaling out.

Bracket Breakout 9th March

Sold @ 1.3951
Bought @ 1.3747

P/L = +204 pips.

Attachments

• Cable Bracket.jpg
    Cable Bracket.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 163
  • ticket.jpg
    ticket.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 139
Poor day yesterday on ES, losing a total of 14 points, attempting to fade the value area which had built up over several sessions with a mean at around 684.00.

Attachments

• TryToLearnFromLosers.jpg
    TryToLearnFromLosers.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
EURUSD Trade Setup

I wanted to post this setup which I originally put in the Potential Setups thread, as it illustrates quite a few of the principles I'm working on:

(1) Trade the breakouts out of balance

(2) Resist the urge to go with the first break as more often than not these are false.

(3) Use the pullback for stop placement or confirmation of the fakeout.

Attachments

• eurodollardaily.gif
    eurodollardaily.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 175
  • eurodollarh4.gif
    eurodollarh4.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 169
USDCAD setup

The price action in USDCAD this week has been:

(1) A failure to breach the key resistance levels on the daily earlier in the week.

(2) A rotation back through the recent balance area

(3) The formation of an inside bar on Wednesday, and a false break of this inside bar on Thursday.

Everything other than the intermediate trend (!) is pointing to a move down.

Two charts attached, the first showing the bigger picture, the second zooming in on the inside bar formation and subsequent action + price target.

Attachments

• usdcad.gif
    usdcad.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 173
  • usdcadzoom.gif
    usdcadzoom.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 171
USDJPY setup

This one is using the usual pinbar / fib retracement material, however with the added twist that the nose of the pin has found support in an area of minus development between the big breakout bar of the 24th Feb and the small area of congestion below it.

Scrolling to the left, the support area is found in an area of consolidation from Nov '08.

It's also a run-pause-continuation pattern, going with the general trend.

Attachments

• usdjpy.gif
    usdjpy.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 163
Audusd

Finally, looking for the upside breakout of a very balanced situation in AUDUSD, trying to avoid the false breaks at first, then going with the move.

Attachments

• audusd.gif
    audusd.gif
    9 KB · Views: 129
Result of the EURUSD breakout trade from post #207

Bought @ 1.2875 on the 12th March
Sold @ 1.2862 on the 13th March

P/L = -13 pips.

Attachments

• eurusdexit.gif
    eurusdexit.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 151
Have look at AUDJPY (Daily)

Haven't got that on either of my charting packages :(

Correction, got it on the spreadbet platform - yes that's the kind of pattern I'm after. Very difficult to use the spreadbet charts unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thoughts at the end of the week

Apart from being upset at being stopped out prematurely on the EURUSD trade, otherwise a very productive week.

I'm using 4 setups:

1) For the S&P only, pullback and reverse from the mean (short side only)

The others are for currencies (long or short):

2) Breakout from balance, but with the proviso of a pullback first to add strength to the move.

3) Inside bar fakeouts, again adding momentum to the move as traders get caught offside.

4) Pin-bar retracements in the direction of the general trend.

Entries and targets I'm happy with, but stop trailing is the biggest headache.

Last edited:
Cable channel

After the excitement of Monday's breakout, GBPUSD spent the rest of the week testing the series of Daily Lows which had been broken.

It's now in quite a balanced state, with the top of the channel and the Weekly High coming in line early next week.

Also, that Weekly High of 1.4181 looks to be an important pivot level.

Attachments

• gbpusd.gif
    gbpusd.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 148
you've given me great ideas joey, keep up the good work and good luck.

Thanks miskec,

It's certainly helping me to improve. Up until Christmas I was just doing it in Microsoft Word and it just didn't work.

Good trading,
Joey

USDCHF trade setup

Bullish behaviour around the inside bar on the daily.

Flag formation on the H4.

Both would suggest that price had got ahead of itself, and now there is a platform forming for continued Swiss Franc weakness.

Attachments

• usdchfdailygif.gif
    usdchfdailygif.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 161
  • usdchfh4.gif
    usdchfh4.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.