J. Christoph Amberger

Never catch a falling knife.

Note from TheBramble: Yeah, often pithily quoted, but very few realise they they're doing it - until they've done it. An advance of experience brings you to realise that you are doing it. Until finally, you recognise that you have done it, and know what to do/not to do to not do it again.

I was tempted to copy&paste the 55 tips onto here for lulz but i'm in a good mood so... Continue.

Use stock screens.

Note from TheBramble: Screen as in filter. Why this is particularly important is that a lot of newbie traders will try and take on too much, hoping that quantity will yield more profits than quality. There are numerous ways to screen off stocks, FX and all other instruments. They change over time. One of the skills of the consistently successful trader is in recognising what criteria to use to evaluate their instrument classes and to recognise that these criteria also change over time.

Reducing noise/traffic/information flow to only that which is essential is, erm, essential.

[Which is why you (and I) should be spending less time on sites like this rather than more when we’re actively trading]

BBQ-ing them on a grille would result in a lot of flesh sticking to the wire.
On the other hand a grill should work quite well, though that's not an experience I've had the dubious pleasure of partaking in, especially with their accompanying sauce.

Draw trend lines. If a stock is in a downtrend, don’t go long, and vice versa.

note from TheBramble: O, how we all laughed at that one.

BBQ-ing them on a grille would result in a lot of flesh sticking to the wire.
On the other hand a grill should work quite well, though that's not an experience I've had the dubious pleasure of partaking in, especially with their accompanying sauce.

Come on Richard, how about you allowing me a little 'prose licence' too?

The market is a ravenous beast. It wants to take your life savings, chew them up, and laugh at you as you squirm in the dirt.

note from TheBramble: I told you he was a little different. Psychotic, deranged, unstable, dangerous - I like him.

Better to learn inverted hammer at the top of a trend......sorry I won't destroy any more of cheesyburger's work. Promise.
Just the sort of feedback and comment I was hoping for Richard. Destroy, attack, rape and pillage away - I have no ego investment in JCA's comments, just found them (largely) thought provoking.

Contrarians are correct at turning points in the market, but wrong the rest of the time.

Insider trading is the most lucrative, though illegal.

note from TheBramble: This seems a bit lame being fairly obvious, but then I go tto thinking, if you're smart enough to be in a position to trasact a little inside information, you're smart enough not for it to come up on the radar. This is were a suitably dispositioned network goes a long way...

Momentum traders are correct most of the time but wrong during turning points.

Note from TheBramble: Another genuine LOL. This belongs with the Contrarian rule and is as self evident as it is obvious. But then I realised the zebra is two colours.

It is against self-interest for technical traders to reveal their buys and sells.

note from TheBramble: Note this well live callers, (which may of course indicate quite other issues) and ties in with the stupidity of extracting public 'opinion' for any trade.