Which stocks / indices to trade?

sumo99

What a great site! Just new to trading, though have worked with financial products for years. This seems really useful in terms of practical advice for getting going though.

Actually found this site doing a search on the notorious Shiraz A Lakhi and his Champion Trader - wish I'd found T2W before SAL's marketing had come my way, and I might have had a bit more cash to spare.

Just by following the links and ideas in these posts over the last couple of days I've found more out about practical advice than in one 'guru' book.

Any other advice from pros / starters alike on the best way to get going? I've read a lot of the TA and trading strategy stuff - but would welcome advice on which are the best stocks / indices to trade.

Obviously everyone has a preference - but should there be a certain volume or volatility of stocks traded? I'd like to start off with industries I know - but not if they've got characteristics that lessen my chances of being profitable with them. Any constructive comments welcome!

Ian

It all depends on how you want to trade intraday looking for small 20 to 30 point movement or longer term looking for 100+ points, also the size of the initial pot as you require a larger amount to trade individual shares effectively. My personal fav is the US indices you can achieve large point movements intraday and over longer periods A good starting point for indices would be the FTSE and Dax with these you can trade and practice TA setups to find what works best for you. If you want seat of your pants hi adrenalin stuff try Forex £/$ Eu/$.