Is Trade2win as lifeless as it seems to me?

Is Trade2win as lifeless as it seems?

• Yes, activity has definitely declined.

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Maybe, I’m not here often enough to notice.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • No, it is as active as it has always been.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
would be traders at the more experienced end of the spectrum.

LOL @ experienced , i guess a couple of names as an example would be helpful ?! not necessarily from banned members !

I believe the stats lump in guests, search spiders and members together, guests are usually the largest group. these spikes in the figures could likely be an over zealous infestation of search spiders, baidu usually the most prevalent.

uh, you mean between 6,000-7,000 of them on at the same time? I don't think so. Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

Peter

Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

Not definitively but it is possible a lot of guests were on site at that time from normal Google searches. There is no reason to doubt that the figures were correct from the standpoint of how the forum software works.

uh, you mean between 6,000-7,000 of them on at the same time? I don't think so. Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

Peter

my money is on the spider.

i did mention the baidu spider in my post and that there are always more of those than any other spider crawling t2w, it is not uncommon to see 4 or 5 of them per page, compare to say a google spider crawling at the rate of 1 every 2 to 3 pages it is quite likely that baidu is the culprit. once they've crawled and recorded it is alleged they then just sit there doing nothing. whether they are doing anything or not, they'll be recorded in the count up to an hour of their doing nothing.

the Baidu Spider starting to take up more of your site resources by indexing up to 90 pages every 15 minutes often leaving connections open or failing to close them properly

the baidu spider is Chinese and from the most popular search engine in china. the Chinese are obviously attracted to the trading part of "trade"2win, you surely haven't missed them in their droves trying to sell their trinkets and tat. the latest fella, plastic box man, he's probably still running around happily and without fear of being pulled up in the introduce yourself thread, linking merrily away.

the truth of it is that we'll not know unless someone bothers to take a look when the combined live viewing figures are in high numbers. it's currently 1031, of which 900 guests and spiders are slurping the content.

my money is on the spider.

i did mention the baidu spider in my post and that there are always more of those than any other spider crawling t2w, it is not uncommon to see 4 or 5 of them per page, compare to say a google spider crawling at the rate of 1 every 2 to 3 pages it is quite likely that baidu is the culprit. once they've crawled and recorded it is alleged they then just sit there doing nothing. whether they are doing anything or not, they'll be recorded in the count up to an hour of their doing nothing.

the baidu spider is Chinese and from the most popular search engine in china. the Chinese are obviously attracted to the trading part of "trade"2win, you surely haven't missed them in their droves trying to sell their trinkets and tat. the latest fella, plastic box man, he's probably still running around happily and without fear of being pulled up in the introduce yourself thread, linking merrily away.

the truth of it is that we'll not know unless someone bothers to take a look when the combined live viewing figures are in high numbers. it's currently 1031, of which 900 guests and spiders are slurping the content.

Thanks LMcQ this is really helpful.

Please forgive me if I'm being naive here, this is not my area of expertise so I have a couple of questions.

You mention the plastic box man running around without fear of being pulled up, I assume you mean pulled up by us? If this is the display on acrylic thing I know I have spotted and reported some of these and others may also have taken this action. But f I understand you correctly, you are saying we should be finding all of these and dealing with them as a matter of course?

You have also said that we will not know unless someone looks at the figures. In your opinion how often should this be done and by who? Am I right that you used to deal with much of this technical stuff when you were moderating?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Thanks LMcQ this is really helpful.

Please forgive me if I'm being naive here, this is not my area of expertise so I have a couple of questions.

You mention the plastic box man running around without fear of being pulled up, I assume you mean pulled up by us? If this is the display on acrylic thing I know I have spotted and reported some of these and others may also have taken this action. But f I understand you correctly, you are saying we should be finding all of these and dealing with them as a matter of course?

You have also said that we will not know unless someone looks at the figures. In your opinion how often should this be done and by who? Am I right that you used to deal with much of this technical stuff when you were moderating?

Thanks in advance

Steve

yes that's the chap, mr acrylic. yes surely somebody in the team has the wherewithal to gently contact these poor lost fellows and inform them they are on the wrong boards, and as such are posting off topic. else the boards can look a little bit strange with their discussions off at a tangent from core forum chit chats, no. of course if they link and generally ignore site guidelines then obviously there's no need to be gentle and polite, they should be removed forthwith :D

as these high figures appear to be infrequent i don't know a plan of action to suggest in catching the cause. perhaps when someone notices that it is high, head straight to see who is online and skip quickly through the pages to gauge the issue? anyway that's what i'd do, i know of no other tool in the box to do it. as to who, well you're the boss, delegate it to one of the team, sweeten the bitter pill with a nice title or something, how about membership czar.

yes that's the chap, mr acrylic. yes surely somebody in the team has the wherewithal to gently contact these poor lost fellows and inform them they are on the wrong boards, and as such are posting off topic. else the boards can look a little bit strange with their discussions off at a tangent from core forum chit chats, no. of course if they link and generally ignore site guidelines then obviously there's no need to be gentle and polite, they should be removed forthwith :D

as these high figures appear to be infrequent i don't know a plan of action to suggest in catching the cause. perhaps when someone notices that it is high, head straight to see who is online and skip quickly through the pages to gauge the issue? anyway that's what i'd do, i know of no other tool in the box to do it. as to who, well you're the boss, delegate it to one of the team, sweeten the bitter pill with a nice title or something, how about membership czar.

That's great thank you, it is now clear that it is a manpower issue and there is no fancy technical solution that I was missing.

I suppose in an ideal world we would rely on the reported post system but that places it all on the members and that's not right. We'll have to beef up our side and hopefully between the two we can at least make a severe dent in the issue.

I think I've got rid of the guy LM was talking about now - correct me if wrong LM.

The real reason ? Or the published reason ?

Would that be The Hidden Secret Agenda? Probably I'm way off....

There do seem to be quite a few experienced and informative traders who were banned. Most likely they were abusive at some point, but I don't really see the problem with a bit of verbal abuse :) especially if it's deserved. Much worse things are allowed to continue.

Some might even say these things are proactively encouraged :LOL:

I've generally found the mods to be decent in any dealings I've had with them, even if I disagree with how lenient they are, so I wouldn't assume that, but you may know more than me about these things.

The point you made somewhere on the site that nobody seems to know what the rules are, seems correct. Or I should say, I don't know what the rules are anymore.

There is a guy jcl365 who presents a recent example. He turned up without a vendor badge. He was obviously selling, I asked him if he was. He said he sells, but not for money (a lie, that was easily checked to be a lie). He was also posting links. I reported that he should probably have a vendor badge, and that he was advertising with the links. Links taken down, vendor badge applied, albeit the mods were a little slow that day.

So he should be essentially on 'probation' and assumed suspicious at this point. Now he has about 90 posts or so, and he claims to run a site, and he needlessly mentions the name in a large number of his posts (which to me is advertising), and it is even written on the top of some of his charts etc. (again more advertising).

Why is this allowed to continue? I think about reporting, but I don't really know if this is actually allowed. It certainly seems to be. If DionysusToast mentioned his site needlessly say 50 times in about 90 posts, I think there would be a lot of people complaining.

Then there's people using images and/or signatures to advertise. So this is against the rules isn't it? But perhaps they pay to have this. Either way, it creates confusion.

It's at the point now, where I can't be bothered to report any posts, since the rules are unclear, and there is so much flouting of what I perceived to be the rules, that I can only assume it is allowed. And even if I do report it, and something is done temporarily, the attitude will still be to give the person another chance, and another warning and so on.

If you think someone is doing something against the rules (especially if related to advertising), report it regardless. We'll deal with it. :)

If that jcl365 guy is at again, then he's about to be perma-banned. Blatant advertising like that means instant forum death. There is no provision that protects vendors on T2W, really. They advertise their wares at their own risk.

EDIT: Actually, looking up jcl365 he's already received the Ban and Clean treatment, so his account's been wiped off T2W. We don't tend to show much in the way of mercy with spammers. :LOL:

Last edited: