TOTW Is it possible to feel no emotion when you win or lose a trade?

Let me help you out here.
No one who has studied psychology quotes Freud anymore, its akin to suggesting drilling holes in the head releases harmful demons, plus it highlights your lack of knowledge on the subject.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-freud-still-matters-when-he-was-wrong-about-almost-1055800815

"An Outdated Paradigm

But his legacy is a shaky one. Freud has, for the most part, fallen completely out of favor in academia. Virtually no institution in any discipline would dare use him as a credible source. In 1996, Psychological Science reached the conclusion that “[T]here is literally nothing to be said, scientifically or therapeutically, to the advantage of the entire Freudian system or any of its component dogmas." As a research paradigm, it’s pretty much dead.
Many of Freud’s methodologies, techniques, and conclusions have been put into question. Moreover, his theories have even proved damaging — and even dangerous — to certain segments of the population. "

And just to be clear, in 100 years time people will look back on our current understanding of human psychology and laugh as much as we now laugh at Freud and people who quote him. :)

Thanks for doing the research for me.

Many of Freud’s methodologies, techniques, and conclusions have been put into question. Moreover, his theories have even proved damaging — and even dangerous — to certain segments of the population. His perspectives on female sexuality and homosexuality are reviled, causing many feminists to refer to him by a different kind of ‘F’ word. Some even argue that his name should be spelled “Fraud” and not Freud.

If gamblers could control their minds , you would not get compulsive gamblers .

Search google"part of brain linked to gambling emotions" https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...l#q=part+of+brain+linked+to+gambling+emotions

Trading is gambling:the activity or practice of playing at a game of chance for money or other stakes.

Yeah thats right, all those algo's out there are hitting the tables as soon as the markets close. :rolleyes:

84% of All Stock Trades Are By High-Frequency Computers … Only 16% Are Done By Human Traders

http://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...quency-computers-…-only-16-are-done-human-tra

Attachments

• GambRob.jpg
    GambRob.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 387
Yeah thats right, all those algo's out there are hitting the tables as soon as the markets close. :rolleyes:

84% of All Stock Trades Are By High-Frequency Computers … Only 16% Are Done By Human Traders

http://www.zerohedge.com/contribute...quency-computers-…-only-16-are-done-human-tra

I think Most traders should automate their execution of trades , because of mind traps .Only the execution side needs automation.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psy...ment/223300-mind-traps-affecting-traders.html

no human is devoid of emotional responses to external influences or actions

to be truly devoid of emotion on a losing trade you would have to be either :-

1) Dead
2) Trading at a level so low regarding financial loss that it really is like losing 5 cents on a bus
3) So Stupid that you think youve won
4) Have total control and full understandng of your emotions , your Trading system and of mathematics, Statistics and especially the law of probabilty over extended sample range

ive been to 3 of these at various times so far ......one i'd like to stay at and one i'd deffinately like to avoid for many years to come ! :)

N

Its not about being devoid of emotions per say, you can view use your emotions / how you feel as a hint that something is going on for you.
When alls said and done, if youre getting the feels when trading, you havent accepted the financial and or physical (Inc psych) reality of what youre doing on some level.

Find a quiet place, thats free of distractions. Sit and relax for a few and take in the surroundings.
Close your eyes and focus as best you can on your breathing, at some you will notice a thought come.
Ex:-
"what the feck am I gona do with that losing position I bought at the top!?"
"that stupid feck that cut me off at the roundabout, next time im gona......"
"WTF am I sitting here doing this BS for, darkies a ****!"

Congratulations, YOU have just observed your mind. Now YOU can explore things further or dismiss it in a heartbeat and get back in the passenger seat.

Find a quiet place, thats free of distractions. Sit and relax for a few and take in the surroundings.
Close your eyes and focus as best you can on your breathing, at some you will notice a thought come.
Ex:-
"what the feck am I gona do with that losing position I bought at the top!?"Write it off as loss and hold position forevever until it turns positive and then quickly sell it for £10 profit.
"that stupid feck that cut me off at the roundabout, next time im gona......" Hoot my horn incase he didn't see me.
"WTF am I sitting here doing this BS for, darkies a ****!" I should be washing the dishes otherwise no nookie tonight.

Congratulations, YOU have just observed your mind. Now YOU can explore things further or dismiss it in a heartbeat and get back in the passenger seat.

:whistling

Faster emotional brain is active in live trading , it blocks rational brain , sometimes they are conflicting in trading , when trying to control emotions

Trading is stressful mental activity , it arouses emotions and stress responses , Your emotional brain is faster than your rational , it calls all the shots in live trading.

Our emotions have helped us immeasurably over the course of human evolution. Emotional responses are milliseconds faster than cognitive (thinking) responses; the lightning-fast reactions that bypass the rational brain centers were often survival responses for our distant ancestors. The limbic brain sends us the warning of a crisis before the rational brain can even process the incoming signal: the body has been alerted and is ready to act on our behalf.

http://www.hrdpress.com/site/html/includes/items/SBEI.html

Faster emotional brain is active in live trading , it blocks rational brain , sometimes they are conflicting in trading , when trying to control emotions

Trading is stressful mental activity , it arouses emotions and stress responses , Your emotional brain is faster than your rational , it calls all the shots in live trading.

Our emotions have helped us immeasurably over the course of human evolution. Emotional responses are milliseconds faster than cognitive (thinking) responses; the lightning-fast reactions that bypass the rational brain centers were often survival responses for our distant ancestors. The limbic brain sends us the warning of a crisis before the rational brain can even process the incoming signal: the body has been alerted and is ready to act on our behalf.

http://www.hrdpress.com/site/html/includes/items/SBEI.html

For YOU maybe.

o If you have spent a lot of time learning about how the markets work dont you think its worth expending some effort into learning how your emotions work? Saying 'your emotions are in control and thats the end of it' is a very lazy attitude and dooms YOU to failure! Investing in knowledge (especially of yourself) is always worth it.

o If your trading relies on millisecond response times you need to worry about your internet connection (40 ms lag) and your monitor (60 ms lag) not your brain.

So instead of doing your best 'Fraser' impression telling everyone were doomed try to bring solutions to the community here. If you have a problem with emotions during trading - learn how to deal with them, get into 'the flow' and neutralise them.

"What is also interesting in flow is the almost total absence of emotions during the actual process..."
http://positivepsychology.org.uk/living-in-flow/

For YOU maybe.

o If you have spent a lot of time learning about how the markets work dont you think its worth expending some effort into learning how your emotions work? Saying 'your emotions are in control and thats the end of it' is a very lazy attitude and dooms YOU to failure! Investing in knowledge (especially of yourself) is always worth it.

There is more to the solutions than just controlling emotions .What are these other changes required , other than mindfullness and meditation?:smart:

Ive plenty of emotions, just i dont get emotionally involved in trading, like some people on here :D

Youll get there one day bud, keep pluggin (y)

behold, the Jimmy, maybe he lies to himself too :sneaky: