Is 2% return per week realistic?

Dubai, you didn't. That's why I made the correction, and showed it was simple interest.
I don't know about the average trader, but at 10% margining on simple interest, 400 pips equals 40%. Not a problem!
I have a AUD/USD position up about 150 pips right now. That is 15%, and it is not finished.

Where did I mention compounding?:confused:

I know you said most days hence why I said 30-40%. Hell, lets call it 20-30% over a month.

You still think an average trader should be making 30-40% a month? Lets even say 15-20%!!!!

I know you said most days hence why I said 30-40%. Hell, lets call it 20-30% over a month.

You still think an average trader should be making 30-40% a month? Lets even say 15-20%!!!!

I'm not trying to be pedantic here but, I assume you mean the average successful trader. The really successful traders, who have developed a genuine edge, will make 80-100% per month

I'm not trying to be pedantic here but, I assume you mean the average successful trader. The really successful traders, who have developed a genuine edge, will make 80-100% per month

A month? Then why are the most famous, successful traders averaging 80-100% a year?!

Yes retail traders can pull in 100% a month no problem but a trader operating with a 7 figure acc will not be making 100% a month.

I would also add, GBPJPY volatility did not peak in 2008 and infact peaked in July 2009. Current volatility is higher now than 2008.

GBPUSD volatility is still increasing before August began. Volatility is rising, not dropping.

If the margining is the same, the mathematics will also be the same.
There are cases people get more conservative with the margining as the account grows.

A month? Then why are the most famous, successful traders averaging 80-100% a year?!

Yes retail traders can pull in 100% a month no problem but a trader operating with a 7 figure acc will not be making 100% a month.

Forgot something. The more famous traders may get that per year, but they are not the better traders. Big difference. 100% is not a big deal in one month.

Okay then, how do you define volatility?

I would also add, GBPJPY volatility did not peak in 2008 and infact peaked in July 2009. Current volatility is higher now than 2008.

GBPUSD volatility is still increasing before August began. Volatility is rising, not dropping.

Okay then, how do you define volatility?

Volatility is the high-low, or the daily range.

100% a month is not a big deal? Let's get serious here, shall we? 100% a month is not sustainable. I've managed it a couple of months but it would get harder and harder as equity increased. You'd eventually come across having the problem of orders being too large.

Not if the margin principle is consistent. I margin 10% every trade everytime. I do not veer away from that. Therefore, 100% is only 250 pips per week or 1,000 pips per month. That is not a big deal.

Volatility is the high-low, or the daily range.

100% a month is not a big deal? Let's get serious here, shall we? 100% a month is not sustainable. I've managed it a couple of months but it would get harder and harder as equity increased. You'd eventually come across having the problem of orders being too large.

Only a 1,000 a month! lol. Why not put your trading acc on myfxbook and then we can see?

Why don't you come over to my thread and see? Or, amybe I should just post an earnings chart in this forum and then you won't write "lol" anymore.
It's not necessary for me to post on your fxbook or anyone else's. You follow my thread, and the ones on there have benn with me the last 3 years.

Only a 1,000 a month! lol. Why not put your trading acc on myfxbook and then we can see?

The only way I'll believe you make 100% a month 'easy' will be by verification. Thanks.

We seem to have digressed. My point is two fold:

1) 100% a month is not easy.

2) Volatity did not peak in 2008 as suggested.

I am aware that 100% in one month is not easy. I hardly like bringing it up, because I am perfectly aware of how the market will bring you to your knees if you get too cocky. I did have a losing week about 4 weeks ago.
I asked in another post for volatility to be defined. Within my definition, I would say the markets are more volatile today than in 2007 or 2008 or whatever, because the higher timeframes were so OB or OS that a blind squirrel could have traded it. Now it takes a little more discernment. And that is okay, because that will still bring in the pips, if the methodology is right.
If volatility is described as huge daily, weekly, and monthly gains, then 2007 and 2008 are the more volatile.
This is why I thought it was important to define "volatility".
Others describe it as the opposite of predictable. Then again, today the markets are more volatile than 2007 and 2008. But again, a prope methodology will still find the opportunities and make the pips.
As an example, there must be a reason I know the GBP/CAD is going to have a huge breakout going south in the near future. Hmmm?

We seem to have digressed. My point is two fold:

1) 100% a month is not easy.

2) Volatity did not peak in 2008 as suggested.

It depends on your definition of volatility. To me, volatility is when the normal daily range of a pair is around 230 and, suddenly, moves to more than 600. I referred to my GBP/JPY trading previously, when the moves were wild. Up 300 in 5 mins and then drop 200 a minute later. One day the range was 1,100 pts and swings of more than 200 pts during that day totalled 3,000 pts. Now THAT'S volatility.

It depends on your definition of volatility. To me, volatility is when the normal daily range of a pair is around 230 and, suddenly, moves to more than 600. I referred to my GBP/JPY trading previously, when the moves were wild. Up 300 in 5 mins and then drop 200 a minute later. One day the range was 1,100 pts and swings of more than 200 pts during that day totalled 3,000 pts. Now THAT'S volatility.

Yes that is volatility but statistically, GY is more volatile in terms of daily range than it was in 2008.

An average trader? No idea what that is...sorry...but allow me to repeat myself, IMO if you are not making 200 quid a day (most days) from combined £10 grand accounts, employed in the market at any one time, then get a different job..If that exposes yours, or anyone else's limitations as to what is very achievable, then deal with your issues..not my problem....not interested...

An average trader? No idea what that is...sorry...but allow me to repeat myself, IMO if you are not making 200 quid a day (most days) from combined £10 grand accounts, employed in the market at any one time, then get a different job..If that exposes yours, or anyone else's limitations as to what is very achievable, then deal with your issues..not my problem....not interested...

Doesn't concern me in the slightest, what does bother me is that you're giving the impression it is standard fare to achieve 2% or they shouldn't be trading which is utter ********, but there you go.

Doesn't concern me in the slightest, what does bother me is that you're giving the impression it is standard fare to achieve 2% or they shouldn't be trading which is utter ********, but there you go.

You're twisting my melon man...and attempting to twist my words in order to suit your pre-conceptions of what is and what isn't good/excellent performance..You keep insisting on using the phrases "average trader", or "standard fare" and alluding that I'm suggesting this as the norm...I repeat..for the last fookin time..if you can't pull 200 quid out of the market a day, with ten grand in play, then find another job...