Iraq & Afghanistan and US & UK

I think that they are being sent with democratic beliefs, but that it is a no win situation in the short term. Maybe, the seeds are being sewn. Girls going to school and women witrhout veils. It's a slow, painful process, but it's a start, the same as it was, and still is, in Turkey.

One thing, it was easier to get in there than it will be to get out! I can't see how we can leave those people to the mercy of the Taliban, now. Can you?

Last edited:
I think that they are, but that it is a no win situation in the short term. Maybe, the seeds are being sewn. Girls going to school and women witrhout veils. It's a slow, painful process, but it's a start, the same as it was, and still is, in Turkey.

One thing, it was easier to get in there than it will be to get out! I can't see how we can leave those people to the mercy of the Taliban, now. Can you?

The great forces of democracy seem to be able to come and go as they see financially fit to do so.

Atilla, I do believe that you are getting a bit bolshy. :)

Well someone has to call out the lies and hold deceitful politicians to account.

I'm not bolshy I just want justice. If I fraud Inland Revenue or HM Customs and Excise they will hound me from here to thy kingdom come. (Just doing my end of year accounts and VAT returns so it is a topical interest close to my heart seeing all the tax I'm paying for these thieving stealing *******ly politicians who lie and cheat.)

If I decline to pay my taxes demanding transparacy and accountability of its usage - what will happen to me? What reply am I likely to receive.

There are families sending duvets for their sons because it gets very cold at night.

On the other hand policitians building duck ponds. :mad::mad::mad:

How can anyone send out rifleman out on walk abouts on those potsy un-armoured range rovers because it is their duty to patrol foot paths is beyond me.

This is what I'm finding so difficult to stomach. IT IS PURE MURDER. The army is not a police force. How is it that after 6 years these people do not have their own police or army. Both countries falling apart with no reliable infrastructure. Elections were a fiasco.

To top it all off we have subjected literally millions of people to death and destruction and people like DD are living on cloud cuckoo land. I'm sure he is not alone either.

I reckon the whole popullation has been stunned into dorment vegetation state.

What is the house of lords doing about all this?

Perhaps the Monarchy can save us?

Every facet of society is riddled by government mismanagement and ridicule. Drugs, GM foods, expenses, banking, wars, knife and gun crime, nationalised industry, no manufacturing. Schools full. Prisons full.

I would simply like the army to go into parliament and kick politicians arses. Is that too much to ask???

Ok, my weekend rant is over... :mad::mad::mad:

Have a great weekend everyone...

I meant fighting against anti democratic beliefs, it isn't the same as to fight for democracy.
If anything, I said they are out there to fight islamic fundamentalism, but really I do not know
if that is the aim either. Not in Iraw. Maybe more in Afghanistan.
My understanding of going to war is going to win.
I can't see how we get a genuine win in Afghanistan. I don;t kow the real final objective, politicians don't seem to have one, not one that doesn't morph from month to month anyway. If AQ had not been in afghanistan we'd never have gone to fight taliban. They were too insular in a dry dusty mountainous land.The Taliban are an unpleasant bunch but so have other afghan rulers been, Taliban never really had any extraterritorial ambitions outside that country, well perhaps certain areas of Pakistan, but not against the west. But that seems to be who the fight is now against rather than AQ. . So, if we beat the Taliban and even bring a democracy to afghanistan ( I see it as unlikely) the thing is will it matter? taliban does not = AQ. AQ are well funded and can move to somalia, algeria or sudan. They may have done so already.

Well someone has to call out the lies and hold deceitful politicians to account.

Perhaps the Monarchy can save us?

Attila
I'd like to think so.
There are sufficient powers available.
I often feel we are getting to a point where something has to give
in this country. And it'll 99% likely to be solved at the next election.

But If the monarchy butted in it would be constitutional dynamite.
Ancient dormant powers setting new precedents.
And, if the monarchy dismissed the govt, your 'army march on parliament' scenario is all the more realistic, as the army's pledge if to queen and country. Not to politicians or government.
I know this is a cuckooland, but it would be so interesting to see it happen.

I meant fighting against anti democratic beliefs, it isn't the same as to fight for democracy.
If anything, I said they are out there to fight islamic fundamentalism, but really I do not know
if that is the aim either. Not in Iraw. Maybe more in Afghanistan.
My understanding of going to war is going to win.
I can't see how we get a genuine win in Afghanistan. I don;t kow the real final objective, politicians don't seem to have one, not one that doesn't morph from month to month anyway. If AQ had not been in afghanistan we'd never have gone to fight taliban. They were too insular in a dry dusty mountainous land.The Taliban are an unpleasant bunch but so have other afghan rulers been, Taliban never really had any extraterritorial ambitions outside that country, well perhaps certain areas of Pakistan, but not against the west. But that seems to be who the fight is now against rather than AQ. . So, if we beat the Taliban and even bring a democracy to afghanistan ( I see it as unlikely) the thing is will it matter? taliban does not = AQ. AQ are well funded and can move to somalia, algeria or sudan. They may have done so already.

Just asked a question mate. Wasnt having a go at you.
Personally I reckon the US and any so called allies are there for financial gain. Afghanistan to control the drugs traffic, supply/demand situation and Iraq for oil. The US supplied the Taliban with arms and expertise not long ago. If Saddam had played ball with the US they would have built a couple of army bases in his backyard to keep him in power.

I would simply like the army to go into parliament and kick politicians arses. Is that too much to ask???

With the exception of any country that has no army, the UK is probably the last place on Earth where this would happen in my view. The history is such that institutionally this is very difficult to do.

Paul

Just asked a question mate. Wasnt having a go at you.
Personally I reckon the US and any so called allies are there for financial gain. Afghanistan to control the drugs traffic, supply/demand situation and Iraq for oil. The US supplied the Taliban with arms and expertise not long ago. If Saddam had played ball with the US they would have built a couple of army bases in his backyard to keep him in power.

Sorry if i was a bit blunt in my response. didn't meanit.
I think life might have been better all round for Iraqis if Saddam had played ball with the US. One thing the US discovered is regime change is not easy and government systems are even harder to change.
As democracy at its best is so flawed despite being better than all the other systems, its hard to explain to those who are not used to it thats its the best of all possible options, esp when they the example we set is we vote for one muppet and get another unelected (as PM) one who brings his even less elected henchman to run the governemnt and country because he is so clueless. This is in the UK, the cradle of democracy with the mother of parliaments. Selling our system i to people who solve problems with guns and korans is a tough job.

Selling our system to people who solve problems with guns and korans is a tough job.

The west has to sell its arms to someone. How would the arms companies make profits to pay political party contributions otherwise?

Attila
I'd like to think so.
There are sufficient powers available.
I often feel we are getting to a point where something has to give
in this country. And it'll 99% likely to be solved at the next election.

But If the monarchy butted in it would be constitutional dynamite.
Ancient dormant powers setting new precedents.
And, if the monarchy dismissed the govt, your 'army march on parliament' scenario is all the more realistic, as the army's pledge if to queen and country. Not to politicians or government.
I know this is a cuckooland, but it would be so interesting to see it happen.

I don't get why people expect the monarchy to step in.

The queen is NEVER going to step in. The royal family only exist for tourists and to sell newspapers when one of them does drugs or has a tampon fetish. Like the queen even gives a **** anyway, not like she's ever going to worry about paying the bills or any problems normal people have.

With the exception of any country that has no army, the UK is probably the last place on Earth where this would happen in my view. The history is such that institutionally this is very difficult to do.

Paul

...How about Carry on Parliament....!...After all it's a slapstick..1

I don't get why people expect the monarchy to step in.

The queen is NEVER going to step in. The royal family only exist for tourists and to sell newspapers when one of them does drugs or has a tampon fetish. Like the queen even gives a **** anyway, not like she's ever going to worry about paying the bills or any problems normal people have.

Hi Cloud,
I think the queen does give a ****, but I doubt very much she would step in,
but the power is there if things ever get bad....at the most basic level no law can be passed without the queens assent, She can posibly dissolve parliament at will...this is open to question I know, by convention Parliament is dissolved only at request of the PM. Although I can't envisage a scenario (who can>?) where these powers would be used, I think her advisors would probably not want to allow intervention even in extremis because there is no plan for what happens next....but that is is why I like the idea of the scenario. Its fascinated me ever since I learnt the monarchy has these ancient powers, which are theoretically not used due to convention, but what if they were.... The Constitutional drama would be great entertainment, .Anti royalists saying unelected head of state should keep their nose out, others supportive of it. And all future govt's very wary to watch their step, knowing they are being watched that bit more closely than previously.

queen cannot dissolve parliament thats aload of ****, she can only do it at the request of the PM, which would result in a general election

Last edited:
Hi Cloud,
I think the queen does give a ****, but I doubt very much she would step in,
but the power is there if things ever get bad....at the most basic level no law can be passed without the queens assent, She can posibly dissolve parliament at will...this is open to question I know, by convention Parliament is dissolved only at request of the PM. Although I can't envisage a scenario (who can>?) where these powers would be used, I think her advisors would probably not want to allow intervention even in extremis because there is no plan for what happens next....but that is is why I like the idea of the scenario. Its fascinated me ever since I learnt the monarchy has these ancient powers, which are theoretically not used due to convention, but what if they were.... The Constitutional drama would be great entertainment, .Anti royalists saying unelected head of state should keep their nose out, others supportive of it. And all future govt's very wary to watch their step, knowing they are being watched that bit more closely than previously.

The monarchy in Spain played a great role in reigning control from the military after Franco's death and averting civil war.

I reckon our parliament will get worse not better. There is no incentive to improve the system. Why should they? Who is going to make them? They even have the audacity to feel victimised by the ungrateful public who does not recognise their hard work.

Oh don't be such a pessimist Split.

When we eventually concede we've lost the war in Afganistan and pull out the Taliban will take over again. Maybe Atilla could spend his retirement there, I'm sure he'd love it. From his perspective it would be a paradise.

dd

....Can Queen dissolve a Parliament....Apparently she can do it.....read on...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6329207.ece

Great post Zambuck...

I love the last paragraph...

Yet that is the difficulty with the present crisis. The mounting public anger at the lack of transparent and accountable self-regulation by MPs cries out for the exercise of discretionary sovereign power. The last thing the public wants is a Parliament-driven solution to a problem created by the very MPs who constitute Parliament and many of whom have the strongest possible interest in a “solution” that will not serve the public interest.

might aswell have the monarchy in power, least it wouldn't be kidding people they have a say in how this **** hole is run into the ground