Sticky Introduce Yourself

Hello There Folks

Hi

My name is Christian Gross and I just joined the forum. Actually because I wanted to get in contact with somebody. Though I perused the forum and its actually quite interesting. What do I do? I invest and write financial software for big and small clients alike. Typically using Excel. Yes I have competitive rates, but I don't want to advertise.

I blog on financials at BloggerJacks, and InvestorGeeks.

Do I day trade? No, not really... Do I dislike day traders? No. Its a free market, right folks! I just like to hear about other people, and maybe help if I can.

Gday

hey, Jim here. i stumbled across this site earlier today (had the pleasure of being entertained by an old thread on delta hedging that went a little off topic - bulldozer v profits!). im currently working for a large US bank in Sydney, Australia. im relatively new to the world of options. no, scratch that, im very green to it all. im hoping to progress in my career and eventually do some options prop MM trading.

Ever since deciding the world of derivs, and in particular options were for me ive been studying everything i can get my hands on. Im trying to get my head around what is essentially a completely new language, but im really relishing the challenge and enjoying every minute of study. Im currently working my way through natenbergs option pricing... and will be having a go at hulls book shortly (although the math content is a little daunting to say the least).

im really excited about the opportunity to become a member of a forum like this and learn through a little more of an interactive medium than text books. i dont know why i didnt think to check for a forum beforehand. i hope there are some patient people around that dont mind answering inevitably obvious questions??:confused:

anyway, great to be onboard. hello to all(y)

jim

hi everyone,
i'm new here and would like to ask few questions if that's ok
as u will see from my questions my knowledge is a bit limited so appologises for that
many thanks in advance
ill answer what i can

*can u make a profit of £100/day easily (when trading at home)?
coyotmo, its possible to earn that, to lose that and to earn and lose much much more than that. the question is far too loaded for anyone to be able to respond with anything like the reasoning you might be hoping for. sorry
*do u know if it is possible to visit the london stock exchange ?
i would imagine so - it is easy to visit the ASX here in Syd
*what is the difference between trader & stockbroker ?
the main difference - a trader (assuming prop trader and not sales trader) takes on risk - be it personal risk or that of his employer. a stockbroker makes money taking tickets from clients. although there are many differences i would say the most fundamental is traders take risk, brokers do not.
*what is the name/profession of the guys u normally see shouting on tv or newspaper ?
i presume you are referring to the floor traders in the all but dead open outcry system of trading. most trading floors now consist of a endless sea of computer screens. in the open outcry system, orders were executed when one trader would yell a sell (buy) order and that order would be matched by another trader who agreed to buy (sell) on the other side of the trade .

HI everybody,

My name is matfx ( real name Syamil) from Malaysia. Just start my trading last 2 years. still got a lot of things to learn and hopefully this site can help me. Thanks for accepting me as part of this community member here.

Good day and good luck in trading to all members.

Hi everyone,
My name's Andy, i'm 17 and will be going to uni in september. I've been interested in trading for about a year now but am just getting seriously interested.

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so I thought I'll briefly introduce myself. I have traded before and I have had a long term interest of nearly 10 years into financial markets. Currently I am doing a PhD in Computer Science within financial trading strategies and trading systems. So thats all really.

best of luck to all with their trading..!

Hi,

My name is as above and I'm from another forum that I've been with since sept 07.
This site seems to be very active on a regular basis so thought I'd come across and have a look. Hope you dont mind?

fresh

Hello all!

I am new here. This looks a fantastic place to learn and to contribute sensibly (been to other palces which were a waste of time).
I am also very new to trading. Not to the idea but to the practical application. I fisrt tasted the markets last year, in September 07, by dabbling with Northern Rock shares. I jumped in on the 17th September after the weekend drop, and made bout 100quid (beginners luck??! :clap:).
Now I'm hooked and aim to learn this art/science.

Cheers for now.

Hey Members

I am an elderly female from Finland, retired from communal services. As a change of life I have developed a keen interest in stock markets, day trading and technical analysis, reading a number of books on those topics during the last two years.

For more than a year I have also carried out some day trading, mainly with warrants of the DAX index. For the first 3 months I was nicely profitable with the capricious DAX, but after that I have suffered severe losses. So I am studying and searching to improve my trading system. That is how I found this forum, first reading Martin Shoebridge´s fine article about day trading Dow Jones. I think chart reading is fascinating.

To me, this is an admirable forum with many, many intelligent writers and interesting views. Have a nice day everybody!

Hi,

My name is Mark. I am a student in Chicago presently studying economics. I've been invested in ETF's for the last few years, but I have since gained an interest in trading after I read Victor Niederhoffer's book "Practical Speculation". I then started to scour all the material that I could, and I have made my way through several books thus far "How to Trade Like a Hedge Fund", "Security Analysis" (Graham and Dodd), "The Hedge Fund Edge", and "The New Market Wizards". I have leafed through many more. I am now keen to begin applying what I have read to see if I can play the market. I have been recently looking for ways to cost effectively back test my ideas and the things that I have been presented, so hopefully I can engage in lots of tests and tweaks so that I can start using the money I saved from last year's summer job.

My name is Ray 27M, I am a NYC Ironworker. I climb and walk the beams on those tall buildings adding what I can to the skyline. I have always had a good attitude toward working and overcoming obsticles. Determination is one of my better qualities, I am relentless when I set out to do something. So I became facinated with the stock market almost three years ago. After 4pm I feel unproductive so I set out to learn. I'm not afraid to take risks but that didn't mean that I was going to dump all my money in equities without some education. I don't gamble unless the probability is on my side. So I started listening to bloomberg radio, watching cnbc, reading books, wall st journal, investors business daily etc. I did some paper trading, then finally opened up an account with Fidelity in november '07. I wasn't sure whether I was going make money or not but I knew I'd pay alot more attention to the market. Since mutual funds usually can't beat the market on a regular basis I put 20K into ishares S&P fund. When I started taking a hit I knew I couldn't let it sit so I started to place some shorts and made SOME money back. Then I finally pulled out. By now I had studied charts alot more and did some back testing. I began using trendlines, moving averages, and general price action along with strick risk managment. Opened an account with IB and downloaded quotetracker. Been making some intraday trades and so far I've been profitable. Every single day is a learning experience. In the mean time I am taking an economics class which I find very helpful. I plan on making some trader friends and sharing ideas. I don't beleive in stock tips, get rich quick, yadayada... hard work pays off! Nice to meet you all.

I'm a newbie interested in trading the spot forex and the fx options markets; any information anyone can refer me to that will help me to climb the learning curve will be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post.

John
Wannabe Forex Trader

Hello all.

I'm 24 and want to trade full time. I have never worked with a real quote system, but I hope to soon be active. I live in NYC and am thinking about joining a hedge fund with my own capital. I had an etrade account when I was about 20, bought market orders and lost money... so I'm here now to try to learn from more successful traders.

thanks,
John

Mynd66,

I can't even watch you guys on TV - I get the butterflies.

Despite being up in the air most of time, sounds like you've got your feet firmly on the ground. I really admire your attitude. Respect.

Keep learning.

Good Trading,

Grant

Introduction

This is a new sticky thread in the General Trading Chat forum which provides everyone an opportunity both old members and new an opportunity to introduce themselves to the community.

If you're a new member, or maybe just a lurker who hasn't yet taken the plunge, then this is as good a place as any to start. Tell us a bit about yourself, perhaps your trading history and interests, and what you hope to gain from the site.

I'm doing research on trading in European Union countries and the relatively new EU regulation thereof. It, and many other sources, will be used for my further education and a masters thesis. The regulation takes the form of some EC directives, called the Lamfalussy directives, setting forth uniform laws and rules for all EU 27 countries. I need to find out how they operate in practice, as well as information for my work in arbitration and my own use when I feel confident enough to start trading.:| Thanks for the opportunity. ArbCons.

Hi,
I am new to this site. My name is -well, as it says, top left.

I live in London, and work in the field law and commercial management. I am 47 years old, with loads of grey hair.
I am relatively new to trading, although not to other financial speculative ventures, (namely, where the markets revolve around races of 5 furlongs and upwards). :LOL:

I find T2W fascinating, and want to thank those who have given a great deal of their time and knowledge in creating it.

Hello, my name is Justin. I was recommended to this site by a friend of mine. I am a day trader, and am going onto my 3rd year of it. My favorite day stock is AAPL, how can you not love those swings?! I am a technical minded trader, but I am not afraid to swing in the fundies for a swing trade. I would love to chat with any of you and look forward to learning and growing with each of you.

Hello

Let's see,

A little about me, I'm a 31 yr trader thats been trading FT since Feb 2003. Started investing back in 1998 via mutual funds while I was in the Navy. I wanted to learn a better way to do things and I slowly walked away from the JOB, ever since. Trading can be a very lonely job (I Thank God for my wife daily, she keeps me sane lol) So I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from other traders out there. Well thats about it. See ya around.