Internet services.

cecja

Hi,

Here in my country (Bulgary) we have only dial-up internet and is really slow (25 kbps) & it cost me $2 per hour, please can someone help me with some ideas to what should I do?

Have a Happy Easter all of you at t2w.

what should you do? heck, who knows!

What alternatives have you got over there? Satellite broadband? ISDN? Cable? If you havent got any of these then you havent got a lot of choice really imo, regardless of what your budget may be.

Unless anyone else knows different???

RR

Thank you so much for your reply.

Here were I leave we apart from the slow dial-up haven’t got any other service, however I’m aware that in UK are some companies that offer two way satellite, but I’m not able to find them.

Please can you give some more info about the Cable services (I have no idea how they
Work)

Thank you

Onspeed or the like

Companies like onspeed claim to be able to speed up dial up connection. They work by routing all webpage through them, compressing them, then sending them onto you where you uncompress them . Or something like that.

There is a link on my webpage for onspeed - or you could just go to www.onspeed.com.

I don't how well it work, if it works in your country, but it may be worth a look.

oatman

Tell me more if you will.

I have seen Onspeed advert and interested............how may one increase (dial-up) speed? My temprement is not really suited to computers etc. but would be interested to know more.

I'm almost begging........:)

xs

900XS.... move to the Isle of Lewis... they have 10Mbit pipes courtesy of the university. :)

Chartman

Wow! 10Mbits..........Mmm lovely! have been there, nice beaches, no trees, good (i.e. free) trout fishing etc.

I going :)......pack the laptops, oh and a few T-shirts.........."over the sea to sky"

How come you know? will you be there to meet me?

Chartman

ooops!........sorry, that should be: "Skye"

Any Daytraders out there in the shadow of the (red/black) cullins..........ooops! spelt that wrong too. (maybe)

xs

Chartman

Have you a berth near fleet? ............get going, with a sou' westerely, you could be in stornoway by the weekend.........come on, I'll show you the big pipe at the university.

nice thought.........kinda got me going! :)

cecja said:
Hi,

Here in my country (Bulgary) we have only dial-up internet and is really slow (25 kbps) & it cost me $2 per hour, please can someone help me with some ideas to what should I do?

Have a Happy Easter all of you at t2w.

Have a look at www.ehotspot.co.uk. I understand it covers most of europe and its 2 way, yurrah!

Enzo

oatman

Thanks for your help today. I tried and read (er. skimmed :)) the sites you suggested. Connection feels faster :) but stubborn at 31.2 kbps...........asked BT to run: a "gain" line check. That helped with readings up to 33.6 kbps but only for a short while. The "headline" figure is the same but the upload may have improved. I ran the PC pitstop but comp crashed. Cautious about doing alts to my system as I easly get into the deep water and I hate computers, software etc. aarrgghhh! trading is easy compared to computer stuff!

I will have saved the ONSPEED price anyway. good man, oatman you are :)

xs

You shouldn't crash on pitstop. It might be your firewall.
I think they say Zonealarm plays up and Symantec reports a troj.
You can turn off the firewall while you're testing. It's worth testing to find out if your basics are set up OK. Your crashing could be something else.
Any combination of wrong settings can slow things down.
Have another try.

I don't use Zonealarm but I've never crashed on it either.
It mentions that some firewalls can cause problems.