1. Which is the least expensive way :
a. keep the account in EUR and incur in the EUR/USD bid-ask spread
every time I buy and sell.
b. keep a part of the account in USD. In this case I pay the bid/ask
only once at conversion (plus there is a small commission). However
I incur in currency risk.

2. If I have, say, 20k EUR and 30k USD in the account, do I get hit
twice by the zero-interest threshold? I mean, it seems to me that I will not
be earning interest neither on the first 8k EUR nor on the first 10k USD.
Is this correct?

Thanks.

does anyone know what the spread will be typically? On CMC the spread is 50 points, and there's no chance i'm paying that...

do i want bundled or unbundled:?: i just wanna trade mini futures in the dow, s&p italy and the nikkei 225. I'm opening an account the min deposit...

Unbundled is almost always better if you do not keep positions overnight. If you keep positions, then go bundled. In any case, it will not make a big difference with a small account.

Ninja Trader

Apoligies if this has been covered before.

Can you use the Ninja Trader platform with its charting on the IB TWS. Are the two compatable? If so has anybody got experiance with this combination or any views on the matter?

many thanks

Would like to know how to remove the reminder about updates to TWS everytime I boot up my PC.

Ta

Would like to know how to remove the reminder about updates to TWS everytime I boot up my PC.

Ta
Rols

I was getting the same, except it was not just trying to run the TWS update programme automatically, but a programme looking for updates to the TWS update programme.

I simply removed the file from the start menu directory. TWS itself will warn you when it is not the latest version, at which point, you can run the search for updates manually

Charlton

Rols

I was getting the same, except it was not just trying to run the TWS update programme automatically, but a programme looking for updates to the TWS update programme.

I simply removed the file from the start menu directory. TWS itself will warn you when it is not the latest version, at which point, you can run the search for updates manually

Charlton

In PC For Dummies style please. how do I do this?

Ta

For windows XP
  • Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG
  • Click Startup tab and view the listings there
  • Uncheck the corresponding entry for the application which you want to disable from startup
  • Click OK
Charlton

Many thanks Charlton.

There isn't a tab for losing trades by any chance?

:cheesy:

current account with citybank

I'm looking at opening an account with IB. Given IB recieve client funds through citybank, would anybody recommend opening a UK current account with citybank to speed up transfers/minimise charges etc?

Margin restriction

Chaps,

I have a margin account with IB but prefer to keep my leverage at 1:1, special situations aside.

I place lot's of buy orders at the weekends (around 20 - 30) but only want around 10 - 15 to hit. Can I control this by restricting the leverage on the account, and by some other way that reducing the credit limit which would just allow me to buy the shares then force me to sell them at the days end.

I'm wanting to avoid having to monitor my orders too closely, without letting my securities value grow too large.

Any help appreciated,
UTB

I'm a SierraChart & IB user.

I noticed a problem with backfill when I upgraded last month and downgraded on the basis that IB might fix it. The problem was that the timestamps on backfill bars had changed and the 30 second bars were marked as being 30 seconds later than they had been previously.

So backfill data no longer lines up with live data.

I went back to 872.6 but this week I've tried 874.3 and its got the same problem. I have compared 872.6 java 511 api 9.20 with 874.4 and 873.3 using the same java and api.

The 872.6 backfill lines up perfectly with real time data.

The 874.4 backfill is 30 seconds out on 30 second backfill bars and 5 seconds out on 5 second backfill bars. With 874.4 the bars are labelled respectively 30 seconds and 5 seconds later than they are on 872.6.

I've asked SC to compare the labeling on the bars but my question is: are other people experiencing the same problem. What about ensign ib backfill? What about quotetracker backfill?

Other threads on this topic:
http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1536524#post1536524
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth.pl?file=/2/42406.html&lm=1184811133

And not wishing to be negative.

Congratulations to Interactive Brokers on their new True Data feed. Sierra Chart has just added it (using a -TD suffix) and its nice to be sure of the highs and lows of any period.

For Sierra Chart users I've just completed a dll that combines True Data with Live Data so that you get the best of both worlds (live data gives bid and ask, current close and high or low extensions beyond that yet shown on the true data bars; true data ensures that OHLC of prior bars and the current bar include the current high and low ticks).

What will happen to the E-mini Russell 2000 contract on IB when it moves over to ICE?
When will IB offer the new contracts on the InterContinental Exchange (ticker symbols TO & TF) and what will the margin/spread be? Tick size & value should remain the same as far as I can read on the reports, right?

in the tws is there a quicker way to buy and sell then having to right click on the instrument, then click on T on the main screen, then hitting the trasmit button on the window pops up? All seems a bit long winded to me, especially when you wanna get filled quickly.....