Best Thread Interactive Brokers

I have three IB accounts, all linked to one Alpine Device. The first account as the original owner of the alpine device is the one I want to close. I also have another Alpine device as the original device on the last account opened. I was going to set up this device for the remaining 2 accounts. But see no way of achieving this.

Regards

Technical Updates
Efforts over the last quarter have resulted in many enhancements to our trading technology. Some of the major enhancements include:

TWS

Quote Details Data Window - A small but comprehensive data analysis window packed with critical data including the NBBO and last traded price, a daily and 52- week candlestick that illustrates the high/low/open/last, and a volume indicator that shows the Average Daily Volume (ADV) against both the current Volume (V) and the Average Daily Volume right now (ADVn).

Group Header Subtotals – The Group Header row now provides subtotals for tickers in the group for the Market Value, P&L, Realized P&L and - --- Unrealized P&L columns, with the subtotal values displayed on the Group Header Row.

Right-click Action Menu - The new right-click menu from a ticker line has been modified to include a small action toolbar that will open the following windows/tools for the selected ticker: Quote Details, Chart, News, Company Fundamentals, Time & Sales, OptionTrader, and Alerts. In addition, the right-click tools menu has been cleaned out, and will display a limited number of selections that updates automatically to provide access to the tool you have recently used.

Position-specific Margin Requirements - You can now view the margin requirements for a specific position by selecting Show Margin Requirements from the right-click Contract Details menu, and from the Portfolio section of the Account window.

Create FX Pair Presets - You can now add an FX pair in the Forex section of the Order Presets and define default order values for the pair.

Display Native Index Prices - By default, TWS displays the calculated index price. You can now elect to indicate that an exchange offers a native index price, or elect to show exchange-native index prices whenever available by defining the feature from the Display > Ticker Row page of Global Configuration.

Standard Commissions for API Orders - We now support native relative, pegged-to-market and pegged-to-midpoint orders via the API and now charge standard commissions for these order types.

This is only a small sampling of the many TWS upgrades and enhancements that we added over the last several months. For a complete listing and more details, please see the TWS Release Notes .

Account Management
Enhancements to Partial ACATS Transfers - You can now include non-US stocks, warrants and options in a partial ACATS position transfer. In addition, you can now specify the strike, right and expiry for warrants that you intend to transfer using a partial ACATS transfer.

Trading Limits for Proprietary Trading Group Single Trading Limit Accounts - Proprietary Trading Group Master users (Single Trading Limit accounts only) can set trading limits on individual sub accounts based on order size and value. Access the Trading Limits page from the Account Administration menu in Account Management.

Enhanced Account Selector - The account selector, used on many pages in Account Management to select a client or sub account, has been enhanced. You can now quickly search for client/sub accounts by Account ID, Account Title or Account Alias by clicking radio buttons; accounts matching your search criteria appear below the account selector controls. Previously, you used drop-down lists and buttons to search for client/sub accounts in the account selector.

Re-Open Account Changes - When you request a closed account to be re-opened, the series of screens that appears now includes updates to your trading permissions and market data subscriptions, as well as some ease-of-use visual enhancements.
Mutual Funds Trading Permissions for US Virgin Islands Residents - Residents of the US Virgin Islands can now request trading permissions for Mutual Funds. You request trading permissions on the Trading Configuration page in the Trading Access menu.

I have three IB accounts, all linked to one Alpine Device. The first account as the original owner of the alpine device is the one I want to close. I also have another Alpine device as the original device on the last account opened. I was going to set up this device for the remaining 2 accounts. But see no way of achieving this.

Regards

I have been trying to close the first account for a long time now, including ringing IB. I was told to rationalise the Alpine Devices. However, this is proving a problem, witness no responses to this problem

Another question if I may...

Does IB throttle their charts at all? I have a group set up that includes T&S, Charttrader, Market Depth and a portfolio page. If I click about 5 symbols, one after another in under about 1 minute, the last chart page is blank for about 1-2 minutes. I'm looking at 3 minute bars.

Cheers,

Adrian

I posted this question to IB helpdesk, here is their response, should anyone be interested:

Thank you for your web ticket. When requesting charts in TWS you are limited as follows:
6 requests per minute
or
60 requests per 10 minutes (which ever occurs first).
Once the limitations have been reached, the request will take several minutes to load. These limitations cannot be changed. Keep in mind that each chart can have multiple requests for market data so the limitation can be reached in fewer than 6 charts.

Pretty sucky imo.
Adrian

I am interested in a broker for international equities. (I'm a buy/hold type investor)

With IB-
Should i use a cash account for international equities or reg margin a/c?
Can i purchase Japanese small caps?
Can i hold the stock certificates myself or is it only a nominee system

Thanks

I’ve been hesitating over opening an account with IB because I need to trade certain small cap shares (cash) via DMA. I was informed that IB wouldn't facilitate trading the shares in question via DMA because they’re on Plus and that market isn’t offered.

In fact, the shares are on SETS and are all offered via DMA (cash) on iDealing, so I'm hoping that my informant at IB was mistaken, as IB is otherwise my preferred platform.

Please confirm the availability or not of the following three UK shares - availability to trade via DMA cash, that is (i.e. not CFD or margined):

1. Matrix European Real Estate Investment Trust (MERE.L - ISIN: GB00B1460W25)
2. Invista European Real Estate Trust (IERE.L - ISIN: LU0273211432)
3. Axa Property Trust (APT.L - ISIN: GB00B06T2607)

Thanks,

Leon

I would love to see them provide tick historical data and unfiltered as well. I have live account with them but I am thinking of changing my broker because of the above. Anyone know of good futures brokers meeting these requirements. Thanks in advance.
UK based or at least have an office in UK.
Unfiltered tick historical data
And option to have British pound account.
I think IB r too big to listen to cutovers like us. I doubt that they will ever provide the above. I would like to know if someone has chased them about this matter.
Sorry guys if I have blabbered a lot off topic.
Happy trading all.

Yes they are huge and their primary business is broking, not data provision - which makes them no money. Plus being huge means that any changes require massive investment in programming, testing and rolling out, so they wouldn't do it unless everyone started going elsewhere.

I have chased them, I told them I was willing to pay good money to get their data, but they just said no.

I would love to see them provide tick historical data and unfiltered as well. I have live account with them but I am thinking of changing my broker because of the above. Anyone know of good futures brokers meeting these requirements. Thanks in advance.
UK based or at least have an office in UK.
Unfiltered tick historical data
And option to have British pound account.
I think IB r too big to listen to cutovers like us. I doubt that they will ever provide the above. I would like to know if someone has chased them about this matter.
Sorry guys if I have blabbered a lot off topic.
Happy trading all.

Dear Yusaf,

Per your comments:

1. Unfiltered tick historical data - sorry but our data comes from the exchanges which charge a large fee for us to become redistributors of tick data and etc. Hence, we have decided not to offer historical data (tick by tick).

2"...And option to have British pound account." We do support a GBP account.

Interactive Brokers, please answer my very straightforward question posted yesterday about the availability of trading three particular LSE SETS shares on a cash DMA basis.

I'm finding it incredibly frustrating getting an answer to this, having phoned and messaged IB directly, in addition to posting on this dedicated thread. Interestingly, iDealing (who, having no phone number, would appear more difficult to communicate with) have replied with long and detailed emails to this very query within a couple of hours.

This is something so basic to ascertain that anyone signed up could answer it for me. IB has come back to answer Yusaf, who posted after me, pretty quickly, but ignored my query. If the answer is "no, it can't be done on IB", then please just say it so I can move on!

Dear Mr. Leon Michael

Respectfully, I reaffirm we do not support the three symbols you are inquiring about. We only support the FTSE 100, 250, and 350 shares and some select shares on SETS.

Interactive Brokers, please answer my very straightforward question posted yesterday about the availability of trading three particular LSE SETS shares on a cash DMA basis.

I'm finding it incredibly frustrating getting an answer to this, having phoned and messaged IB directly, in addition to posting on this dedicated thread. Interestingly, iDealing (who, having no phone number, would appear more difficult to communicate with) have replied with long and detailed emails to this very query within a couple of hours.

This is something so basic to ascertain that anyone signed up could answer it for me. IB has come back to answer Yusaf, who posted after me, pretty quickly, but ignored my query. If the answer is "no, it can't be done on IB", then please just say it so I can move on!

Dear

Prospective client:

Answers to your questions -

1. Refer to out website for details about our Cash and Margin account. Terms and conditions apply.

2. We do not support all of the low cap stocks in Japan. Please refer to our contract database in our website for more details.

3. You can only hold electronic certificates with IB.

I am interested in a broker for international equities. (I'm a buy/hold type investor)

With IB-
Should i use a cash account for international equities or reg margin a/c?
Can i purchase Japanese small caps?
Can i hold the stock certificates myself or is it only a nominee system

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been trying to close the first account for a long time now, including ringing IB. I was told to rationalise the Alpine Devices. However, this is proving a problem, witness no responses to this problem

If you are having a problem closing an account contact our help desk or send in a ticket with our web ticketing system.

Your first reply today confirmed that MERE & IERE were not tradeable via cash DMA. On reading that I opened an acount with iDealing. Now it seems you do offer these stocks. Could you please confirm the amount possible to post to the order book for MERE & IERE - is it unlimited, or a factor of the shares' EMS.

I may now end up opening an account with you too, comparing you to iDealing, and then closing one down. Any relevant points of comparison between iDealing & IB would help in this regard.

Thanks,

Leon

Dear Sir

You can buy as many shares in our cash account contingent you have enough cash to cover the purchase.

We denote all of our services, terms and etc., on our website for you to transparently compare us to our competition.

Hi, would anyone verify if this example correctly illustrates Soft Edge Margining (SEM)? The IB website states that SEM allows a Margin Deficit (MD) to be within 10% (read: <= 10%) of Net Liquidation Value (NLV). However, I can't find a definition of what "Margin Deficit" means anywhere.

Let's say you have $10,000 and want to use full 4:1 margin and buy $40,000 of a security. NLV = $10,000, MM = $10,000, Excess Liquidity (EL) is now $0 (EL = NLV - MM).

Some scenarios (assume all action occurs intraday):

The security drops 1%. This is a 4% loss in NLV, which is now $9,600. MM = $9,900. Liquidation will occur with an MD of $960.
Guess 1: MD = (NLV - original MM) = $9,600 - $10,000 = -$400, therefore MD = $400. No liquidation
Guess 2: MD = (NLV - new MM) = $9,600 - $9,900, therefore MD = $300. No liquidation.

The security drops 2.5%. This is a 10% loss in NLV, which is now $9,000. MM = $9750. Liquidation occurs with an MD of $900.
Guess 1: MD = (NLV - original MM) = $9,000 - $10,000, therefore MD = $1,000. Liquidation.
Guess 2: MD = (NLV - new MM) = $9,000 - $9,750, therefore MD = $750. No liquidation.

Is either of these scenarios right? If not, can anyone provide an example?

Thanks for the help.