Best Thread Interactive Brokers

just tried TWS demo to trade ES.. why are the commissions 2.40 USD per contract per side ? is this the actual fee or its just some setting on the demo version?

thanks in advance!

I believe ES, NQ etc., are a touch over $4 round turn on live accounts (until volume goes over 1,000 a month). Interactive brokers have never been particularly competitive on futures commissions.

Hi - also using TWS demo version for a few days - but am noticing disparities in prices quoted there and elsewhere. Eg historical charts, intra day lows and highs being quite different from those found on google and elsewhere. Am i missing something?

Hi - also using TWS demo version for a few days - but am noticing disparities in prices quoted there and elsewhere. Eg historical charts, intra day lows and highs being quite different from those found on google and elsewhere. Am i missing something?

FYI The source of our realtime market data for exchange traded products are the exchanges. When products are offered on more than one exchange we provide best execution by aggregating the prices (best bid and offer).

For our online TWS demo we offer delayed market data as the source of the data are the exchanges that want to charge for realtime data. Hence, there will always be a discrepancy compared to other delayed market data sources.

FYI The source of our realtime market data for exchange traded products are the exchanges. When products are offered on more than one exchange we provide best execution by aggregating the prices (best bid and offer).

For our online TWS demo we offer delayed market data as the source of the data are the exchanges that want to charge for realtime data. Hence, there will always be a discrepancy compared to other delayed market data sources.

thanks for the reply. how long is the delay? i'm looking at a stock that opened at 40 and hasn't dropped below 34 all day according to every chart i cant find. the IB chart doesn't have it above 34 all day?!

I'm from the UK and looking to open an account initially with £10k. I'm just about ready to go with IB, but one thing i can't seem to verify is what they charge for fx conversion when buying us/foreign stocks? I'd want to keep all funds in sterling until buying the stock.

barclays is 1.5% above spread, saxo 0.5%, neither of which is ideal!

thanks,

andy

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. how long is the delay? i'm looking at a stock that opened at 40 and hasn't dropped below 34 all day according to every chart i cant find. the IB chart doesn't have it above 34 all day?!

I'm from the UK and looking to open an account initially with £10k. I'm just about ready to go with IB, but one thing i can't seem to verify is what they charge for fx conversion when buying us/foreign stocks? I'd want to keep all funds in sterling until buying the stock.

barclays is 1.5% above spread, saxo 0.5%, neither of which is ideal!

thanks,

andy

What was the stock? Let me have a look.
I think they convert currencies at a particular rate on the day. I have seen the cross rates on a sheet before. They are as you'd expect from a professional broker.

What was the stock? Let me have a look.
I think they convert currencies at a particular rate on the day. I have seen the cross rates on a sheet before. They are as you'd expect from a professional broker.

quite a few of them - eg Microsoft traded between 30.4 and 30.8 but my TWS chart says it's went from 22 to 39 settling at 33? obviously this isn't right but is it taken from some time in the past or made up? or am i being a total idiot?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-13 at 9.49.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-13 at 9.49.50 PM.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 403
You are looking at a demo account which is nothing more than a demo. For live or delayed data you need to use the paper trader which is only available once you open an account.

You are looking at a demo account which is nothing more than a demo. For live or delayed data you need to use the paper trader which is only available once you open an account.

right - gotchya. sorry for asking a dumb question just didn't see any mention of that and it does seem weird to me - but i guess i'm fairly new to the game so a lot of stuff is weird.

still can't find exact info about fx rates for buying foreign stocks but i think i'll go ahead and open the account as i certainly can't find any complaints about it.

There are no any automatic conversion rates. You either buy the currency on IDEALPRO with a very narrow spread or borrow it and pay interest rates.

IB,

I just looked over your website for info about the volume data that you provide for forex ticks, e.g. EUR/USD.

I couldn't find anything - please could you give a quick overview of where that data comes from?

Thanks

IB,

I have just made an API conection with TWS in an attempt to start automated trading, only to find that you have an Auto Logoff Timer that close the TWS once a day.

All I need is the ability to trade around the clock. I don't likethat I need to start the TWS again and again at the same time everyday to get everything work. It would mean I have to wait in front of the computer or else the trading strategies would be less profitable.

Is there anyway to stop the Auto Logoff? Or anyway for auto restart is this is inevitable?

Hello IB and IB users..

Is there a way to create the parent order and the stop order together (via a DOM or somewhere that i dont have to key in the numbers..) so that they sit on IB's server at the same time? Either through TWS or 3rd party platform?

Hello IB and IB users.. again..
For initial account funding, is it a must to transfer the 10K lump sum at one go?

Can I participate in opening auctions on European exchanges using IB?

When I trade US stocks I simply choose “OPG” under “Time in Force” in order to participate in the opening auction.

That feature is not available for the European exchanges.

For the European exchanges:
1) If I put in my order before the opening acution, will the order automatically be included in the opening auction or
2) Is it not possible to participate in the opening auctions on the European exchanges?

Thank you.

Maverick

Thinking of opening an IB account, is it possible to get a streaming feed of multiple prices to excel from which i can decide to trade and then send the order via excel to trade?

IB,

I have just made an API conection with TWS in an attempt to start automated trading, only to find that you have an Auto Logoff Timer that close the TWS once a day.

All I need is the ability to trade around the clock. I don't likethat I need to start the TWS again and again at the same time everyday to get everything work. It would mean I have to wait in front of the computer or else the trading strategies would be less profitable.

Is there anyway to stop the Auto Logoff? Or anyway for auto restart is this is inevitable?

you could try to connect via IB gateway instead of TWS

Hello
I'm looking for a professional platform for trading stocks, forex, ... and also cheap.
I think with Interactive Brokers I found what I needed. But I have some questions.
I will start with some simple questions.

How much is the minimum start deposit in € to trade stocks (CFD's ?) ?
How much is the minimum start deposit in € to trade forex ?
Will there be problems with opening an account from Belgium, Europe (where I live)?
I don't really understand the extra costs other than the spread, please explain.

Kind regards

I've heard that IB manipulates the margins of naked options positions. Can anybody confirm that? I believe IB is owned my Timberhill which is an options market maker, so IB has conflict of interest with the clients whos main strategy is to write naked options.