Im an Englishman Get Me Out Of Here

What about Ireland. Small population, yet decent size country, lots of scenery & greenery. Big drinking culture/nightlife available to join in with if thats your thing. Close to home, same language.....although English are not always made that welcome in the celtic nations.....:confused::eek:

Despite only being in my mid twenties i just cant stand living in the UK anymore. Crumbling health service, bad weather, dirty, polluted, bad food, a society that generally likes to drag the ambitious/successful down into mediocrity, immigration etc etc ok rant over.

Trading is the best job in the world, not just because of its potential financial gains but you are totally free to move around the world and i want to make the most of that.

So, lets focus on the positive, can anyone suggest somewhere that is a great country to live? Basically i would like to be in Europe purely because my family are in the UK and just couldnt move to the otherside of the world from them. As long as the weather is good and im not completely stranded from civilisation has anyone found their paradise?

I've lived overseas for over 10 years. Now live in Surrey. You, my friend, not to be mean but are a typical Brit. You are a moaner/whinger. You'll be a moaner when you live overseas also. Trust me on this - I've seen both sides of the fence.(y)

You are making me laugh. So, you are prepared to go and join them and leave outside your culture in order to avoid them impose their culture on you? That certainly is a strange way of thinking. I hate all these foreigners coming here imposing their culture on me so I will go and live there. Hmmm.

Are you saying immigrants don't work hard and pay taxes? You should see my polish cleaner. Don't even get me started on the plumbers. :D

I'm sure the polish do a roaring trade undercutting everybody

I'm sure the polish do a roaring trade undercutting everybody

...AND they are MUCH better than the typical Brit rip-offing tradesmen who want to change all the parts around the problem, without tackling the problem itself, plus take as long as they want {coming tomorrow, day after, next week etc goes on!} effectively holding you to ransom until the job completes {if you are lucky}!!

...AND they are MUCH better than the typical Brit rip-offing tradesmen who want to change all the parts around the problem, without tackling the problem itself, plus take as long as they want {coming tomorrow, day after, next week etc goes on!} effectively holding you to ransom until the job completes {if you are lucky}!!

hey I'm not knocking them, sounds like you've had some bad experiences

we talking about all British tradesman here or just plumbers?

Despite only being in my mid twenties i just cant stand living in the UK anymore. Crumbling health service, bad weather, dirty, polluted, bad food, a society that generally likes to drag the ambitious/successful down into mediocrity, immigration etc etc ok rant over.

Trading is the best job in the world, not just because of its potential financial gains but you are totally free to move around the world and i want to make the most of that.

So, lets focus on the positive, can anyone suggest somewhere that is a great country to live? Basically i would like to be in Europe purely because my family are in the UK and just couldnt move to the otherside of the world from them. As long as the weather is good and im not completely stranded from civilisation has anyone found their paradise?

How did your experience in the UK get to be so off-putting? Please give us a clue by running over the following -
Do you own your own house?
Do you live in London / the SE?
What's happening to your neighbourhood?
Have you had a good further (beyond 18) education?
Do you read the Daily Mail?
Do you spend a lot of your free time in pubs?
Do you seek out places to eat cheaply?
Do you have a lot of 'mates', whose opinions on the world you respect?
Do you learn much about what's 'really happening in the real world' from black cab drivers?
What have you done?
Are you successful? (ambitous but unsuccessful doesn't cut it)
Do you think Premier League footballers are successful?
Do you have you a steady relationship?
Do you have a lot of speeding / parking tickets?
Would you rather have 2 £3 bottles of wine or 1 £6 bottle?

Many thanks

we talking about all British tradesman here or just plumbers?

I can "safely" vouch for at least the Brit plumbers and electricians.
They are really rubbish.

The only Brit tradesmen species {I think} worth its salt is the "gardener".

I would never allow anybody but a Brit gardener near my patch :D
and vice versa for the boiler, central heating, electricals, carpentry, painting, decorating etc....

I have a 28 year old mate who only went outside of the UK for the first time last year - to Cuba.
He has always been a big footy fan, wearing an England shirt etc. & always used to say that he wasn't interested in going abroad. He rarely leaves his own county. Yet you couldn't meet a more cheerful, easy-going, rounded person.

I don't know if any place really is any better or worse than any other.
Thanks to good trading and a income from other investments I have been lucky enough to spend quite a lot of time abroad three years in south east Asia, 2 in the U.S and now Europe. I have found good and bad in all of them (tradesmen, minor politicians, the police will all rip you off just simply because u r a foreigner)
That utopian society does not exist or I have not found it yet.
But life is for experiencing look for the positive
So I get ripped of sometimes I can take it.
I live in Transylvania 3 hours from London.
Skiing in the winter, summer activities life is great, good food pretty girls,
Healthy life I invite you here tommog.
But no whinging or moaning!

Reactions: BSD
tomorton;393067Do you learn much about what's 'really happening in the real world' from black cab drivers? [/QUOTE said:
why should they know any better than white people who drive cabs ?

:innocent:

Cab drivers

why should they know any better than white people who drive cabs ?

:innocent:

I've found there're only 2 types (in London at least): those that talk and won't shut up; those that don't say anything. Of course, you always get the opposite one for your mood.

Hi mate.

Well, I spend 6 to 8 months of my year over here in Canada. Consistantly voted Number 1 country in the world to live in. Imagine a place with HALF the UK population in a country beginner than Australia, or China, or the US.

Pure heaven.

I come back to see my folks a couple of times a year, it's only around £350 return in economy or £1200 in first.

It's a great reminder of why we trade, and why money isn't everything.

Cheers,
Dave

Oh gosh, I really love the UK and London, one of my absolutely favourite places to visit.

But then I also totally believe that there is nothing that is more fun in life than living in foreign countries.

Have a look at Scandinavia, also up there in my most favourite list, eg Finland, the worlds most competitive country:

"WASHINGTON POST

Finland just might be the world�s most interesting country that Americans know least about. It has the best school system in the world, some of the most liberated women (the president is female), more cell phones per capita than anyone else, one of the world�s best high-tech companies (Nokia), remarkable information technology of many kinds, great music from rock and jazz to classical. The Finns are proud of their generous welfare state, which provides, among much else, free health care and free education at every level.

Finland is quite big, the size of Kansas and Iowa combined, but sparsely populated -- 5.2 million souls, or about 10 percent smaller than metropolitan Washington, D.C. For three weeks, Lucian Perkins and I will be traveling around the country to try to figure it out. Lucian takes pictures and occasionally writes about what he sees; I will concentrate on words. We will try to figure out how the Finns have been so successful in so many different ways and why Finland appears to be one of the most modern and most adaptable societies anywhere. We'll also see if we can find some chinks in their armor, on the old but reliable theory that nothing is perfect.

Finland has largely reinvented itself over the last generation. Its educational system, economy, technology and sense of itself have all been transformed. This is change on a scale rarely seen in the world; only China, perhaps, has undergone a similar transformation in such a short period of time.

Superb schools symbolize the modern transformation of Finland, a poor and agrarian nation half a century ago, and today one of the world's most prosperous, modern and adaptable countries.

Finland finishes first in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) exams that test 15-year-olds in all of the world's industrial democracies. Finland also finishes at or near the top in many global comparisons of economic competitiveness: Internet usage, environmental practices and more. Finland, where the modern cell phone was largely invented, has more cell phones per capita than any other nation -- nearly 85 per 100 citizens.��

The Finnish Report Card

Finland has largely remade itself over the last 35 years, revamping its education system, transforming its medical care structure and creating a new high-tech sector that, thanks to cell phone manufacturer Nokia, has become an international player.

Today Finland is regularly cited as among the world's best in a variety of indexes and comparisons.

For example:
· The World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, ranks Finland's the most competitive economy in the world.

· Yale and Columbia universities rank the nations of the world in a "sustainability index" that measures a country's ability to "protect the natural environment over the next several decades." Finland is first in the rankings.

· Statistics kept by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development show that Finland invests more of its gross domestic product in research and development than any country but Sweden.

· Finnish 15-year-olds score first in the industrial world on comparative tests of their academic abilities.

· According to a global survey by Transparency International, Finland is perceived as the least corrupt country in the world. (The United States is tied for 17th.)

· Finns read newspapers and take books out of libraries at rates as high or higher than all other countries.

· Finland trains more musicians, per capita, than any other country.
-- Robert G. Kaiser"

LINK: Washington Post - Finland Diary

Not only is the quality of living up there pretty as high as it gets on this planet, but Helsinki and Stockholm are also two of the most incredible party towns on this planet !
:)

I spent part of my studies in Helsinki, living up there several years, which included lots of regular trips to Stockholm on those great ferries they have there.

Go visit.

I promise you won't regret it !

LOL..I was there on business for a week, quite a few years ago...some Finnish colleague had put it about that I was a player for Inter Milan (who said the Fins are dour)..so there I was minding my own business at this mid year celebration thing they do for longest day of the year when up rolls this Finnish lass young enough to be my daughter and obviously blind to boot who invites me to play football with her in the woods....no more shall be said....anyway I had a bad back and my timing hasn't improved in the years since.
By the way their biggest "chink" is their suicide rate probably something to do with living in the dark for half the year.

Reactions: BSD
You know you can try before you buy right?

Make the most of what our living provides us with, mobility.

I started in Canada by simply buying a £300 return ticket with Zoom airlines - straight into Toronto. You can get 6 months on your visa without having to prove anything - you fill it in on the plane. You wont be able to work in Canada, and customs will ask you how you mean to support yourself. You simply say "I have a business in the UK which I will be in contact with and it provides me with income".

Go and rent a house somewhere, or cut a deal with a small hotel with Internet access for long term rates. Tell them you dont need your room tidying every day, you dont need fresh bedding / towels every day. Lots of motels over here provide a fridge / cooker / microwave.

Just live there and see how it feels - travel around a bit, get to know some locals down at the bar if you're into the drinking/social scene.

If you want to come back earlier, you call Zoom, pay £25 to change your return flight, and try somewhere else.

Best of luck.
Dave

LOL..I was there on business for a week, quite a few years ago...some Finnish colleague had put it about that I was a player for Inter Milan (who said the Fins are dour)..so there I was minding my own business at this mid year celebration thing they do for longest day of the year when up rolls this Finnish lass young enough to be my daughter and obviously blind to boot who invites me to play football with her in the woods....no more shall be said....anyway I had a bad back and my timing hasn't improved in the years since.

haha, lovely stuff Chump :)

You should try going up there for Vappu at some point, first of May celebrations, and see the entire nation going absolutely and completely nuts.

Probably wouldn't help your back much though.

:D

"Walpurgis Night
Walpurgis, the 30th of April, marks the end of the winter in Sweden and Finland, and is the most important festive celebration of the year alongside of Christmas and Midsummer"

Nordic Culture > Walpurgis Night in Sweden and Finland: Valborg and Vappu

"Helsinki, May 1: it’s Finland, alright, but not Finland as we know it. Usually a reserved nation, the Finns like to celebrate the beginning of spring in style, and Vappu is when they do it best. The festivities actually start the night before, on April 30, when Havis Amanda, a statue of a mermaid near Helsinki’s market square, is sprayed with champagne and given a white cap to wear – an endearing ritual which is repeated with statues all over the country. From there, it’s pretty much anything goes as a nation parties on into the night.

If you can match the Finns drink for drink, you might regret it the next morning, but the fun hasn’t stopped yet. On May 1 itself – come rain, snow or sleet – the entire population gather in the parks and restaurants for an almighty nosh-up. Mead is the traditional drink, fritters the traditional food. You and your friends won’t have experienced anything like it. And you’ll never look at Finland in the same light again."

Vappu National Day - Finland

"The beautiful north
These once-forbidding cities have woken up after a long hibernation, Andrew Spooner selects the five coolest spots.

Helsinki

In summer, the city is a joyful mix of parks, open-air bars/ cafés, public art, great architecture and almost endless sunshine. And, at any time of year, you'll be greeted by one of the hardest drinking and partying cities in Europe."

The beautiful north | Travel | The Guardian

Every weekend gets pretty wild up there in Stockholm and Helsinki, but Walpurgis / Vappu is a class of its own all together again.

:D

Last edited:
I've spent time living in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and now Stockholm.
The first and last are easy choices for quality of life. The two in the middle are great to visit - preferrably with wads of cash, an eye for curry and plenty of time for lunch.