Im an Englishman Get Me Out Of Here

Actually India is very good...Good weather....Decent people....All speak vey good and proper English....Will treat you with respect....They drink proper Tea....Won't call you Honky or bloody immigrant....There is place for all is their Biblical Phlosophy....Great food and women....For mere half a million you can live like a king....

Just don't mention Clive of India...!

why use words to divide and conquer when they've got a caste system already in place to put people down:p

UTB

Yes, they could even use Class system to put down rather than Caste system....and call themselves 'Modern' or 'Westernised'....

...Yes indeed...

Yes, they could even use Class system to put down rather than Caste system....and call themselves 'Modern' or 'Westernised'....

...Yes indeed...

aye, far be it from me to suggest racism isn't just a British problem. What with India being such an example of racial harmony and a true beacon of how the little man can make it to the top.

UTB

aye, far be it from me to suggest racism isn't just a British problem. What with India being such an example of racial harmony and a true beacon of how the little man can make it to the top.

I think the substantive point is that if India can survive - and there's no more ethnically and culturally diverse country on the planet - then, anywhere can survive; at least that was and is the hope as told to me by some Iranian friends many years ago. And, I haven't been pursuaded otherwise since I first heard that argument - although it seems to me that the growth in global population strongly militates against that argument. So for example, look what's happening in Kenya?

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Careful the blades, don't let the cat out of the bag or they'll all be moving up here.

You should be telling them how hard life is up here and how we eat hot gravel for breakfast.

Liverpool ! City of Culture ! Why, there's more culture in a tub of yogurt !

dd

Yes i know what you mean tommog....

they said on the news this morning that the government estimates the increase in UK population to be 10 million in the next 20 years.

The only thing that bothers me about England - the expense, the overcrowdedness, the excessive number of cars on the road, and the celebrity worshipping culture. I'm not too keen on the tyranny either, but you get that in most countries these days.

bunch of whingers!

I stopped living in the country a long time ago, and now live in my head.
best place to be. take it everywhere I go.

you should try it. (living in your own head, that is, not in mine.)

FXSCALPER " You are making me laugh, so you are prepared to go and join them and leave outside your culture in order to avoid them impose their culture on you..... Are you saying immigrants dont work hard and pay taxes"

Firstly, it depends what culture you are talking about imposing on people. Ihave no problem with a multicultural society exceptsthere are some cultures imposing themself on britain that i dont agree with, not saying what is right or wrong but just not to my liking.

Ok maybe i should have said illegal immigrants and theres enough of them in this country. Im sure they do work hard, but they certainly dont pay taxes.

But this is all a little off topic, yes by going to another country i will be putting myself in an entirely alien culture. But from my limited travel experiences i find other countries have a strong identity and i respect that, the UK just seems to be a wishy washy political correct soft touch, i dont claim my views are correct but this is my experience and i'm actively seeking another way of life, i feel you are assuming im some arrogant englishman. Quite the opposite I see all of englands flaws and want to embrace another cultures' strengths. Just the predominant cultures forcing themselves on Britain are not to my liking

bunch of whingers!

I stopped living in the country a long time ago, and now live in my head.
best place to be. take it everywhere I go.

you should try it. (living in your own head, that is, not in mine.)

Yes, retreating into ones own little world can have its uses. But its not a place to stay if you ask me, as it can get quite boring!

I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. (someone said it in The Departed).

Very interesting read, boys :) Quality of life is always the question.

Every country has advantages and as well disadvantages, I think. Some outlier countries not included :)

One has decide, what is really important.

Language? Wheather? Security? Nightlife? Landscape? And so much more :)

I lived in Germany, Spain, Switzerland and Cyprus. I tried as well Colombia and the USA.

At the end, your wife and the children take control of that issue ;)

A mixture would be the best, but school times prevent me, living it :rolleyes:

The perfect solution were :

Colombian lifestyle with a Miami climate, Swiss schools, Cyprus security, German IT infrastructure and Spanish food :)

And an English neighbour to watch footy :clap::clap::clap:

Switzerland is super in my opinion. Superb outdoor oppportunities, well organised country with good technologies, good infrastructure etc. It is expensive for the ouside visitor though.
Also, its ouside the EU which is a bonus, but that would probably harm an outsiders chances of living there. But in terms of mainland Europe, switzerland would be very near the top of my list.
Swedens in the EU. Big country, outdoor lifestyle etc. (if you don't mind freezing your tits off for 6+ months of the year!)

cool, i reckon summer house in switzerland winter house in spain it is then

cool, i reckon summer house in switzerland winter house in spain it is then

Or, visa-versa. Skiing in winter in Switzerland, summer in Spain :idea:

However, you can ski in Spain, but not go to the sea in Switzerland (its land-locked ;)). However, switzerland has some nice lakes ;).

Or visa versa. Skiing in winter in Switzerland, summer in Spain

My only experience of skiing was spending 3 days crawling down a mountain on my **** so im happy with summer house in switzerland perhaps we coul oganise a time share? ;)

Oh gosh, I really love the UK and London, one of my absolutely favourite places to visit.

But then I also totally believe that there is nothing that is more fun in life than living in foreign countries.

Have a look at Scandinavia, also up there in my most favourite list, eg Finland, the worlds most competitive country:

"WASHINGTON POST

Finland just might be the world�s most interesting country that Americans know least about. It has the best school system in the world, some of the most liberated women (the president is female), more cell phones per capita than anyone else, one of the world�s best high-tech companies (Nokia), remarkable information technology of many kinds, great music from rock and jazz to classical. The Finns are proud of their generous welfare state, which provides, among much else, free health care and free education at every level.

Finland is quite big, the size of Kansas and Iowa combined, but sparsely populated -- 5.2 million souls, or about 10 percent smaller than metropolitan Washington, D.C. For three weeks, Lucian Perkins and I will be traveling around the country to try to figure it out. Lucian takes pictures and occasionally writes about what he sees; I will concentrate on words. We will try to figure out how the Finns have been so successful in so many different ways and why Finland appears to be one of the most modern and most adaptable societies anywhere. We'll also see if we can find some chinks in their armor, on the old but reliable theory that nothing is perfect.

Finland has largely reinvented itself over the last generation. Its educational system, economy, technology and sense of itself have all been transformed. This is change on a scale rarely seen in the world; only China, perhaps, has undergone a similar transformation in such a short period of time.

Superb schools symbolize the modern transformation of Finland, a poor and agrarian nation half a century ago, and today one of the world's most prosperous, modern and adaptable countries.

Finland finishes first in the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) exams that test 15-year-olds in all of the world's industrial democracies. Finland also finishes at or near the top in many global comparisons of economic competitiveness: Internet usage, environmental practices and more. Finland, where the modern cell phone was largely invented, has more cell phones per capita than any other nation -- nearly 85 per 100 citizens.��

The Finnish Report Card

Finland has largely remade itself over the last 35 years, revamping its education system, transforming its medical care structure and creating a new high-tech sector that, thanks to cell phone manufacturer Nokia, has become an international player.

Today Finland is regularly cited as among the world's best in a variety of indexes and comparisons.

For example:
· The World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, ranks Finland's the most competitive economy in the world.

· Yale and Columbia universities rank the nations of the world in a "sustainability index" that measures a country's ability to "protect the natural environment over the next several decades." Finland is first in the rankings.

· Statistics kept by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development show that Finland invests more of its gross domestic product in research and development than any country but Sweden.

· Finnish 15-year-olds score first in the industrial world on comparative tests of their academic abilities.

· According to a global survey by Transparency International, Finland is perceived as the least corrupt country in the world. (The United States is tied for 17th.)

· Finns read newspapers and take books out of libraries at rates as high or higher than all other countries.

· Finland trains more musicians, per capita, than any other country.
-- Robert G. Kaiser"

LINK: Washington Post - Finland Diary

Not only is the quality of living up there pretty as high as it gets on this planet, but Helsinki and Stockholm are also two of the most incredible party towns on this planet !
:)

I spent part of my studies in Helsinki, living up there several years, which included lots of regular trips to Stockholm on those great ferries they have there.

Go visit.

I promise you won't regret it !

why, what DO you eat, like?

UTB

;)

Hey I was made in the North matey (y)

My body was designed to run on pies, chips and stuff like that. I also run on kebabs sometimes :cheers:

Non of these fancy green pasta salads for me :sick:

that would be the equivalent of putting unleaded in a diesel :cry:

dd