IG Index java-based real-time financial charts won't work at work!!

MitchT

I have an account with IG Index which offers the excellent 'IT Finance' charting service via its trading platform... but there's a problem when trying to access the charts at work!

First I need to explain something. When you initially access the charts a .jnlp file is downloaded to the PC and this acts as a stand-alone java application which runs the charts. Data is streamed to the java application from IT Finance so that the charts can display live price information.

So... I downloaded the .jnlp file without problem, but when I try to access the charts all I get is a window with 'loading' written in it. Nothing more happens. I'm pretty sure that this is because the live data which needs to be streamed to the .jnlp file to make the charts work can't get through the firewall. The question then, is this... Is there a way of either A: Getting the information through the firewall without involving the IT department, or B: Putting the .jnlp file on a web page somewhere so that the whole process of streaming the data to the .jnlp file can take place without anything ever having to pass through the firewall?

If it were a work issue I could simply ask the IT department to fix it for me, but as it's a non-work 'hobby' that I like to do during my lunch hour (and at home where it works perfectly) they are under no obligation to help.

I used to have free access to the carts on the IFX Markets web site but they've recently changed their set-up so that you have to be an account-holder to access the charts, so I'm now relying on being able to get access via my IG Index account... unless there's somewhere else that offers free access to IT Finance charts.

I have an account with IG Index which offers the excellent 'IT Finance' charting service via its trading platform... but there's a problem when trying to access the charts at work!

First I need to explain something. When you initially access the charts a .jnlp file is downloaded to the PC and this acts as a stand-alone java application which runs the charts. Data is streamed to the java application from IT Finance so that the charts can display live price information.

So... I downloaded the .jnlp file without problem, but when I try to access the charts all I get is a window with 'loading' written in it. Nothing more happens. I'm pretty sure that this is because the live data which needs to be streamed to the .jnlp file to make the charts work can't get through the firewall. The question then, is this... Is there a way of either A: Getting the information through the firewall without involving the IT department, or B: Putting the .jnlp file on a web page somewhere so that the whole process of streaming the data to the .jnlp file can take place without anything ever having to pass through the firewall?

If it were a work issue I could simply ask the IT department to fix it for me, but as it's a non-work 'hobby' that I like to do during my lunch hour (and at home where it works perfectly) they are under no obligation to help.

I used to have free access to the carts on the IFX Markets web site but they've recently changed their set-up so that you have to be an account-holder to access the charts, so I'm now relying on being able to get access via my IG Index account... unless there's somewhere else that offers free access to IT Finance charts.

If you only require EOD data then you could use it finance's own application http://www.prorealtime.com/en/ it's free to use and is practically identical to the IG charts.

You will probably have to launch the MS Java compatible version to get it to work if the IG charts don't.

I can get EOD data from numerous sources. What I really want is to be able to access IG Index's advanced live charts at work the way that I can at home. I make quite a lot of use of various indicators that I can't find elsewhere.

A.Are you going through a proxy or if so get a DMZ Ip address.
B.Make sure you have the latest version of Java...

If you have any other errors let me know

A.Are you going through a proxy or if so get a DMZ Ip address.
B.Make sure you have the latest version of Java...

If you have any other errors let me know
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to these things and I have no control over them. I work for a company that employs about 200 people and has a fairly 'nanny-state' approach to its IT policy, so I don't stand much chance of finding out what it causing the problem or changing it... I just wondered if there was a way around it.

Well to be honest there is only one way to find out just go to playboy.com...joke...
Go to your internet options and see if there is a tick in the proxy settings if there is then I am sorry but there is not much of a way round it ....unless you worked for my company where I would sort you out.....first of all is there a problem with the data feed mate or the application ?

So... I downloaded the .jnlp file without problem, but when I try to access the charts all I get is a window with 'loading' written in it. Nothing more happens..

Hi Mitch

This sounds so like the workstation you are on at work is not configured correctly.

Try the faq at prorealtime to help get you going on IG

http://www.prorealtime.com/en/

(cut & paste job :cheesy: )

My workstation will not launch. What might be the problem ?

First, click on this link to check your configuration (a window might open asking you to execute the diagnostic tool) :
ProRealTime Diagnostic Tool

If the diagnostic is OK and you still cannot launch the workstation, the problem may be due to an incorrect Java version installed on your computer. If your PC is running on Windows 2000 or XP, you can set up the correct Java configuration by following the process below (please refer to next question if you use a PC running on Windows98):

To ensure a correct configuration of the JAVA console, please follow every single step of the procedure described below.

1. Close all your programs and active browsers (except this window).

2. Now you need to uninstall all existing Java versions.
To do so, go to Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs and check for programs starting with the word JAVA or J2RE or JDK or J2ME (usually these programs are represented by a coffee cup icon).
If there is one or several of these programs, uninstall them after closing the current browser window.
Once the uninstallation process is complete, please come back to this page and continue with the following steps.

3. Install Java Sun from the following link (make sure to click on the 'OPEN' button to install the file. If you can only click on the 'SAVE' button, make sure to install the file after the download) :
http://www.java.com/download

4. Reinstall Microsoft Java version from the following link (make sure to click on the 'OPEN' button to install the file. If you can only click on the 'SAVE' button, make sure to install the file after the download) :
http://www.microsoft.com/java/download

5. From an Internet Explorer browser window, click on Tools/Internet Options/Security. Check that the Internet Explorer security level is set to "Medium". If this option is not visible, click on 'Customize the level' and select "Medium" in the drop-down list at the bottom of that new window.

6. From Internet Explorer, click on Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. Check that the box 'Use Java 2' or 'Use JRE' is NOT ticked. Tick all three boxes on the section 'Microsoft VM'. Press all 'OK' buttons until all dialog windows are closed.

7. Launch the Java Memory Optimizer from the following link (make sure to click on the 'Execute' button to install the file. If you can only click on the 'SAVE' button, make sure to install the file after the download) :
Java Memory Optimizer

8. Click on this link to check your configuration (a window might open asking you to execute the diagnostic tool) :
ProRealTime Diagnostic Tool

9. Right-click on the Java icon (looks like a coffee cup) located in the right-hand side of the Taskbar (the blue bar commonly located at the bottom of the screen). Choose 'Open Configuration Panels'. Click on the 'Updates' tab and make sure that the 'Automatically look for available updates' is NOT ticked. Then click on 'Apply'.

10. Close down all active windows of your browser. Open it again, log onto our website at www.prorealtime.com and launch your preferred version of the platform.

I hope that is of help to you.

Lightning

Last edited:
Problem solved! The friendly guy from IT knew what was wrong straight away - I needed Java 2 Runtime Environment installing.

You could connect to your PC at home using www.logmein.com

That's what I use. Works great and keeps all your trading windows within a single browser window to hide when the boss arrives!

Hallo!!!
IG group is thinking about: To cancel all charts for the binaries.! Finspreads and capitalspreads has already do so.! What is the sense. I dont know.! This are hard times for all, I think!
Greetings m.