If You Can Draw A Straight Line (You Can Become A Successful Trader)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,926 1,229
These threads aren't going to do anyone much good. Most of the charts are gone, so many of the comments refer to stuff that is no longer there. Plus one has to elbow his way through all the trolls.

I suggest just skipping all that and focusing on what I uploaded to post #1. Plus spending a lot of time away from T2 isn't exactly fair to T2.

BSD

Veteren member
3,819 984
Hey DB kudos for a job well done !!!

That should help some people along on their path to financial freedom.

I seem to recall that we had our altercations in the past, but that musta been down to semantics or web ego or whatever, as we certainly seem to trade in a similar style, buying the first dip in a new uptrend, selling the first rally in a new downtrend.

Where you use trend lines I use moving averages, plus stochastics to gauge pullbacks, but essentialy the price action on what we're doing is based on is the same.

Good stuff that always has worked, and always will, because it's simply aligned with the way price moves in never ending cycles.

On a different topic.

I really owe an enormous amount to good old Buffy (and Nqoos excellent site as well), and all her outstanding teachings and common sense lectures on trading, money management, price action etc.

Unfortunately when I was starting out in the late 90's I never actually got in contact with her, just read all the stuff she wrote over on her site.

Now trying to put that to rights I sent her an email a couple of weeks ago to give her a heart felt Thank You for all she did for me.

She really is a fantastic person !!!

Unfortunately I never got a reply, and also haven't seen her post anything new in ages.

Do you have any idea if she's OK ?

Thanks mate and all the best to ya.

:)

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,926 1,229
Quite honestly, except for Albert, I really don't remember the altercations, much less what they were about. I hope that by a certain age one gets past all that. And a number of people have died, which leads me to believe that many of us are older than we appear to be. That as much as anything else led me to put this book together. I suspect that many younger people think the internet is forever, but those past middle age know quite well that many sites simply blink out, never to be heard from again. And what happens to everything one has written? Some sites, like The Motley Fool, become an industry, and will likely be going strong when we're all been scattered over the Grand Canyon.

As for Buffy et al, once I got past patterns and indicators, I lost track of a lot of people. I get emails occasionally from people I haven't heard from for years, but the internet isn't what it used to be, and a lot of sites have become toxic, and one begins to forget why he/she began posting in the first place. God knows how old NQoos is, or what arrangements he's made, if any, for someone to take over his site when the time comes.

You were right, though, to at least try to contact Buffy. Another bit the dust just a few months ago, and I hope he understood how grateful his fans were. As nobody writes letters anymore (what's a "letter", Daddy?), it takes only a few minutes to email someone and let them know they're appreciated. Even though they might not respond, the emails are nonetheless appreciated, even if only by those who are left behind.

BSD

Veteren member
3,819 984
Well said DB.

And great karma to you for having put that really excellent book together.

That's what Buffy and Nqoos did for me in the day, and that's what you're doing for the next generation and you, like them, put a lot of time and effort for free into that really great project, giving others the tools to get to where they want to go !!!

That book of yours really has everything anyone could ever need to make it as a net profitable trader.

And before that disappears in the depths of T2W at some point I think it would be an excellent idea to add it to the sticky threads or the article section here where it can always be found with ease.

Not quite sure who else passed away recently you're alluding to, but I was aware that Judy wasn't exactly young anymore when I discovered here some 15 odd years ago, but you may remember our TheBrambles here who has passed away far too early.

Anyway, it's great there are people like you willing to give so much to others out of sheer kindness.

Best,

Markus

tar

Legendary member
10,441 1,309
Anyway, it's great there are people like you willing to give so much to others out of sheer kindness.

Best,

Markus
Not sure about that he's still a commercial member here and in other forums as well - nothing wrong with that - .

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,926 1,229
While I appreciate the accolade, it is at least partly undeserved as the book in its entirety is not free, but I don't want to go on with that as we're getting into advertising. The precis that I uploaded to post #1, however, ought to provide enough information for someone who's interested in trading price to get started. Those who take to it easily may well need nothing else, except possibly the Developing A Plan pdf which I've also posted (there's also Tim's work on trading plans; as I remember, we each began these efforts at about the same time, and there are a lot of similarities). Unfortunately, few want to go through the plan process until they've lost considerable amounts of money. But that's always been the case. Aside from that, God knows I've made plenty of posts over the years. At this point, it's a way of paying it forward.

Sorry to hear about Brambles. He was sharp. Somebody ought to collect and consolidate his posts. Look at how the Phantom's work has circulated so widely. Now that's karma.

BSD

Veteren member
3,819 984
Oh and pehaps re books, didn't know DB was a commercial member here, but another trader I hugely admire and whom I learned a tonne from is Marty Schwartz, he wrote a great book, Pit Bull, and also sold that.

That's quite ok in my, err, book.

BSD

Veteren member
3,819 984
Haha no haven't written one.

:LOL:

Thing is it is true.

There is so much stuff that has disappeared from the web since I started out, and that's a mere 15 years ago, which isn't all thaaaaat much.

Entire websites gone forever, and not to be found via web archive either.

Web sites where you can't see the charts any more.

That's why it really is nice to have sites like this where more or less often you can have a chart with people who also go back quite a bit.

I really would have loved to be able to tell some people who aren't reachable any more how grateful I am to them for all they've given me.

I took bits and pieces from here and there and put them together in a way I felt comfortable with, but I can't deny that I have huge debts of gratitude to some extremely generous people without whom I wouldn't be where I am today, or without whom things would have taken way longer.

Buffy is definitely one of them, that's why I sent her a heartfelt Thank You email.

dacharts.com

Don't be deterred by the colourful charts of her's you'll find there.

;-)

Basically all she did was this:

http://www.trading-naked.com/MOF.htm

But essentially based on pure and simple price action:

http://www.trading-naked.com/Buffy_Price_Action.htm

dbphoenix

Legendary member
6,926 1,229
Right you are, POP's work was also among the very first things I read starting out.

There is a thread about Tony.

First guy I talked to here.

Real pity and very sad end.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foyer/202868-what-ever-happend-bramble.html
The older one gets, the more difficult it becomes to ignore the fact that there's an expiration date. And pulling one's own stuff together is hard enough. Pulling together somebody else's requires an exceptional devotion. But without that, many of these people will be forgotten entirely (does anybody remember the Plastic Tortoise?), and that's the real shame.

This thread is getting depressing. Time to get back to the topic :)

counter_violent

Legendary member
9,398 2,376
The older one gets, the more difficult it becomes to ignore the fact that there's an expiration date. And pulling one's own stuff together is hard enough. Pulling together somebody else's requires an exceptional devotion. But without that, many of these people will be forgotten entirely (does anybody remember the Plastic Tortoise?), and that's the real shame.

This thread is getting depressing. Time to get back to the topic :)
Actually DB, it does make you think about all the material that becomes lost over time.
Also, some of the exchanges between members was priceless.
Not to mention some of the admin, mod, legals and member "deleted exchanges" :LOL:

I often look over the old deleted materials, some trading related and some just pure comedy genius.

barjon

Legendary member
10,226 1,533
While I appreciate the accolade, it is at least partly undeserved as the book in its entirety is not free, but I don't want to go on with that as we're getting into advertising. The precis that I uploaded to post #1, however, ought to provide enough information for someone who's interested in trading price to get started. Those who take to it easily may well need nothing else, except possibly the Developing A Plan pdf which I've also posted (there's also Tim's work on trading plans; as I remember, we each began these efforts at about the same time, and there are a lot of similarities). Unfortunately, few want to go through the plan process until they've lost considerable amounts of money. But that's always been the case. Aside from that, God knows I've made plenty of posts over the years. At this point, it's a way of paying it forward.

Sorry to hear about Brambles. He was sharp. Somebody ought to collect and consolidate his posts. Look at how the Phantom's work has circulated so widely. Now that's karma.
I know you fight shy of "advertising" your book, db, but the trouble is that it won't be long before your post #1 is lost in the archives - like many other nuggets (including your earlier stuff) - and quite difficult for people to unearth. Great for those who come across the thread whilst it's active, but not so good for those who come along in some months time. There's only a book, really, that gives some lasting life and then people have to find out about it. Damn sight easier than trawling through hundreds of threads, though.

Perhaps you should collaborate with T2W for "book space" and/or articles :). Things like this shouldn't be lost.

tar

Legendary member
10,441 1,309
Books are ok they can provide you with some perspective in trading but they wont make you successful , no one will become a successful trader from reading or studying a trading book . Its not rocket science prices go up you buy , go down you sell . You need a lot of experience and huge discipline to execute that properly and end up in the black .

Status
Not open for further replies.