If anyone could figure out the markets...

You are either with the price or you are not. There'll be no beating here today, thankyou!

Sorry for the late reply. I was moving house yesturday. Socrates, It depends on your trading style, I have a single edge and watch the market for my setup, I don't trade unless I see it. Of course I could have several setups and then I would have several edges.

Back to the question, I think it was Jesse Livermore who said:

"Always remember; you can win a horse race, but you can’t beat the races. You can win on a stock, but you cannot beat Wall Street all the time. Nobody can.”

and

"I don't have to beat Wall Street. I have to beat myself, my emotions."

I don't understand why someone who points at a website that makes the claim:

"Know The Markets High And Low Before It Gets There, Get Your Complete Market Forecast The Night Before It Even Happens. "

would ask a question on the topic of:

"If anyone could figure out the markets... "

Isn't this just another SPAMMER's thread?

Roll up Roll up

Kiwi said:
I don't understand why someone who points at a website that makes the claim:

"Know The Markets High And Low Before It Gets There, Get Your Complete Market Forecast The Night Before It Even Happens. "

would ask a question on the topic of:

"If anyone could figure out the markets... "

Isn't this just another SPAMMER's thread?

Seems like only three of us ( see the threads above) have twigged this. Seems he is in no hurry to answer us. Maybe he has fled the scene of the crime ;)

And look how easy it is to draw in the punters.

. :D

Last edited:
TradingMasters said:
I trade using software based systems and have been getting some remarkable results, I would say that I don't have to stay up too late watching my trades, I basically set them and forget them and take whatever profit is there or cut my losses if any. I trade with a tight stop and I set my limit far away. Is this a good form or trading or is it suggested that I change my style?
I regret to inform you that I never give trading advice.

However using a tight stop is essential precaution to limit any losses that may arise.

The settting of a limit is a matter of choice.

It is your choice, and if it works consistently for you as you say, I am indeed happy for you.

"Tight stops and far away limits". Good name for a holiday brochure, don't you think?

danfreek said:
Sorry for the late reply. I was moving house yesturday. Socrates, It depends on your trading style, I have a single edge and watch the market for my setup, I don't trade unless I see it. Of course I could have several setups and then I would have several edges.

Back to the question, I think it was Jesse Livermore who said:

"Always remember; you can win a horse race, but you can’t beat the races. You can win on a stock, but you cannot beat Wall Street all the time. Nobody can.”

and

"I don't have to beat Wall Street. I have to beat myself, my emotions."
Ultimately it is all more than a matter of discipline, but more of a question of self governance of the highest order of which self discipline is a component.

If you have just one edge and it works consistenly for you that is all you need.

I am very pleased to hear of your success.

And my very best wishes to you in your new home and I expect it will take you a bit of time to settle down, household moves are such upheavals, but soon forgotten.

Kind Regards.

Anyway! Good day Soccy, and how are you? Fine, i hope! This thread is pure 'FODDER'! Good trading. RUDEBOY!

Speaking of fund managers:
SOCRATES said:
Of course, you cannot expect that all these people be made properly informed otherwise they would all go home and trade for themselves.
This is interesting. I have always thought of these people as "the smart money," well maybe not the *smartest* money, - but the ones with enough capital to move a market if they choose. It would be interesting to know how many of them do go on to be independent traders - and how many are more comfortable drawing the salary.

I mean, if you really believed you understood the markets, wouldn't a person want to trade for themselves? Why deal with the pressures of the office? Perhaps I've just got too much of a maverick streak in me - the idea of have to act a certain way, dress a certain way, drive a certain kind of car.... Ugh. Just the thought of pantyhose and pinchy toed shoes is enough to make me cringe (It is 90 degrees here today, and the humidty is about 90 too).
JO

Re Fund Managers,

My guess is very very few would become independent traders for several reasons. These being:

-Managing others money is very different to trading your own
-Being a sucessful fund manager is not just about good returns.
-Fund Managers get paid whether they have decent returns or not (in general)
-The risk of going it alone is very high
-Fund managers in general conform (to a normal working enviroment and structure)
-Fund managers learn how hard it is to 'beat' the market even with the resources they have.
-By the time they have become 'established' fund managers with decent salaries they will likely have dependants and a good life style to support (so can't accept what they know will be a very risky enterprize).

Tuffty said:
Re Fund Managers,

My guess is very very few would become independent traders for several reasons. These being:

-Managing others money is very different to trading your own
-Being a sucessful fund manager is not just about good returns.
-Fund Managers get paid whether they have decent returns or not (in general)
-The risk of going it alone is very high
-Fund managers in general conform (to a normal working enviroment and structure)
-Fund managers learn how hard it is to 'beat' the market even with the resources they have.
-By the time they have become 'established' fund managers with decent salaries they will likely have dependants and a good life style to support (so can't accept what they know will be a very risky enterprize).
Jumpoff, Tuffty,

In your reply, and it is very comprehensive, you forget to include that if they chose to do that, they would have to give up the infrastructure that supports them.

When pit trading ended on the floor of LIFFE, many floor traders for example tried trading their own accounts. They felt lost. No longer did they enjoy the camaraderie of the bustle and noise of the floor. The screens that faced them were silent, impartial, stoic, disconnected from the benefits of actually being on the trading floor and being able to follow the actions of the big boys, and the giveaway roar that occurs when something really meaningful is going on. Equally the quiet periods in which the paper darts appear and the banter is exchanged.

The same parallel exists off the floor, but ensconced in an institutional environment.

SOCRATES said:
I regret to inform you that I never give trading advice.

Are you sure about that ? I could have sworn that on another thread,',',',' North I tell you North'''''',,,,,,', of course it stayed sideways for a while,',',''''''',,,,'',, then resumed i''''ts Southerly direction .

:arrowl: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowr: '''''''''''''

Yes but not for you personally, or for others not privy to what the postings really meant.

Like a lot of things which are not understood on these boards, some by design and others not.

Your design and your construct and not mine, I assure you....
icon10.gif

SOCRATES said:
Yes but not for you personally, or for others not privy to what the postings really meant.

Like a lot of things which are not understood on these boards, some by design and others not.

Now that really is a limp cop out Soc , I mean, really it is !

No it is not. All of you have taught me not to be generous. I am only following your teachings.

For this reason each and everyone has to do his own homework, it is that simple and not any cop out at all. Generosity is never rewarded ~ it is invairiably abused, is what I have been bitterly been made to learn. It is your call, not mine.

I am more than happy doing my own homework and I totally agree that everyone involved in trading should do the same . There is no quick route to success and discoveries are stored and built up over time to give a rounded picture of what is actually occurring.

Soc, lighten up a bit eh , you can poke fun as you wish , but don't get too upset when we poke back :LOL:

Of course all of it is fun. Not everything can be serious.

But the irony is that what is really serious is treated as funny and what is really funny is treated as serious.

A bit of fun is welcome in an otherwise deadly environment.

Goodnight Counter.