Volume and Price Figures

DGC

Hi

I’m very confused. Can anyone help with this please?

For a while now I’ve been reading a lot on Richard Wyckoff and the association of price and volume, etc. To do my studying I’ve been using Prorealtime’s EOD data feed, basically because it’s free and includes volume.

Now, it’s come to a point where I want to try putting what I’ve learnt into practice. I’ve opened a CFD account with IG Markets and enabled their advanced charts and have been watching the market waiting the appropriate place to open a trade. However, I’ve noticed something very strange; the volume. If I check the EOD figures from IG with the EOD figures from Prorealtime, which are essentially the same data provider, they’re not the same.

I’ve checked with other providers, i.e. Yahoo finance and MSN money and none of them are the same, they tend to be closer to the free Prorealtime figures as apposed to the £30 per month ones from IG. For example: Lloyds TSB (LLOY) 14th May 2010 Prorealtime= 205M, Yahoo= 241M, IG= 76M. Weekly data for 30th Nov 2009, Prorealtime= 2,372M, IG 301M, big differences here.

The prices for all these places differ aswell. Shouldn’t all the figures be the same if they’re coming from the LSE? How can I use volume in my analysis if I’m not sure which figures, if any, are correct. Would I be better off paying for a Reuters or Esignal data feed and using Metastock, would these be the figures and prices to trust or would they also be ambiguous and confusing?

Any help, comments and guidance would be gratefully received.

DGC.

I'm not sure who it was but I remember somebody posting that IG vols are only what has been traded through IG.

Thanks scose-no-doubt.

That would explain the considerable difference. They don't tell you that in the small print, do they!

DGC