If anyone could figure out the markets...

TradingMasters

He/she'd build a system that beats one of them thus become the next trillionaire.

Isn't this true?

The question that begs answering then is... since markets came into existence, how come no one has figured them out yet? Do you feel as if the markets can be beat ?

Thanks
TradingMasters

Many traders find consistent profitability within the markets. But you can't expect to beat the market on every trade.Its a game of probability. And it depends what you mean by figured them out. If making a profit is figuring them out then the answer is yes the markets can be beat.

That is a great answer...well taken :p

techst@ said:
Many traders find consistent profitability within the markets. But you can't expect to beat the market on every trade.Its a game of probability. And it depends what you mean by figured them out. If making a profit is figuring them out then the answer is yes the markets can be beat.

Yes you make a profit but at the expense of how many losses, I feel as if the markets will never be beat :p

techst@ said:

When I mean make a profit I do mean on your overall account not just on single trades. How long have you been trading? Have you studied the markets and books regarding trading? I'll try to point you in the right direction if you let me know what your struggling with.

I wouldn't say that I struggle, I haven't used books I use alot of software and other technical analysis tools to make my decision. I do well in my trades, I wanted to see how others feel about the topic

techst@ said:
When I mean make a profit I do mean on your overall account not just on single trades. How long have you been trading? Have you studied the markets and books regarding trading? I'll try to point you in the right direction if you let me know what your struggling with.

More to the point, consider what it would be like if everyone could figure out the markets.
The consequence would be that there would be no market at all, isn't that correct ?

Yeah, if everyone knew what was going to happen, then there would be nobody to make it happen. The price moves when two people make a trade, that must mean that their opinion is different, as at the time of the trade both people believe that they are better off if they make the trade. So if everyone knew that the maket was going to go up, then nobody would want to sell, so in turn, nobody would be able to buy and therefore the price does not go up. this is slightly blured in the actual markets because of market makers, etc, but it certainly holds true over timeframes of more than a minute or so.

What both of you are saying makes alot of sense, so it like the more seasoned traders will prey on the novice traders?

danfreek said:
Yeah, if everyone knew what was going to happen, then there would be nobody to make it happen. The price moves when two people make a trade, that must mean that their opinion is different, as at the time of the trade both people believe that they are better off if they make the trade. So if everyone knew that the maket was going to go up, then nobody would want to sell, so in turn, nobody would be able to buy and therefore the price does not go up. this is slightly blured in the actual markets because of market makers, etc, but it certainly holds true over timeframes of more than a minute or so.

Effectively, yes, seasoned traders do tend to exploit the mistakes of the novice, but that's only in the short term. Nobody can possibly know what will happen in the markets. Just as techst@ said, it's a game of possibilities, find yourself an edge and trade based on that, and that only.

danfreek, I would mildly disagree with you and would say it is a game of opportunities instead of possibilities. And because it is a game of opportunies having an edge is not enough. You need to have multiple edges to deal with multiple opportunities as and when they arise.

I'd disagree with the statement that professional traders feed off novices..I really do not think novices if we define them as retail count for more than a carbuncal on the smallest toe of a very large elephant (watched too much blackadder)...no , look at the vast amounts of money under 'poor' management and that's the trough to feed out of ..those are the 'novices' ..not necessarily because of their skill levels ,but because of the handicaps they carry with them which may include skill levels ...my viewpoint

Chumpy, I agree with you, and particularly what you point out about "poor" management.

And in a way one has to feel sorry for these individuals being given huge responsibilities and expected to perform in an arena of which to a large extent, they haven't got a clue either.

Then when one of them makes blunders and brings down a bank or an insurance company the poor blighter is crucified, but no one tackles the root cause.

Of course, you cannot expect that all these people be made properly informed otherwise they would all go home and trade for themselves.

In the same way that the market requires constant cannon fodder, it also requires the presence of voluntarily committed slaves, if only they but knew.
icon10.gif

I trade using software based systems and have been getting some remarkable results, I would say that I don't have to stay up too late watching my trades, I basically set them and forget them and take whatever profit is there or cut my losses if any. I trade with a tight stop and I set my limit far away. Is this a good form or trading or is it suggested that I change my style?

SOCRATES said:
Chumpy, I agree with you, and particularly what you point out about "poor" management.

And in a way one has to feel sorry for these individuals being given huge responsibilities and expected to perform in an arena of which to a large extent, they haven't got a clue either.

Then when one of them makes blunders and brings down a bank or an insurance company the poor blighter is crucified, but no one tackles the root cause.

Of course, you cannot expect that all these people be made properly informed otherwise they would all go home and trade for themselves.

In the same way that the market requires constant cannon fodder, it also requires the presence of voluntarily committed slaves, if only they but knew.
icon10.gif

TradingMasters said:
I trade using software based systems and have been getting some remarkable results, I would say that I don't have to stay up too late watching my trades, I basically set them and forget them and take whatever profit is there or cut my losses if any. I trade with a tight stop and I set my limit far away. Is this a good form or trading or is it suggested that I change my style?

If it works consistently, then of course there is nothing to change. If you are interested in having your trades reviewed by the woulda/coulda/shoulda crowd, then the best thing is to post an example chart, showing your entry, your reason for it, your stop, your reason for that, and your exit, and again your reason for exiting. It's great fun for the onlookers and prognosticators, and sometimes entertaining for you too.

To load a chart, reply to the thread, and click on manage attachments. On my screen I have to scroll to the right to see the submit button. I look forward to your reply.
JO

Hidden Advertising ?

TradingMasters said:
He/she'd build a system that beats one of them thus become the next trillionaire.

Isn't this true?

The question that begs answering then is... since markets came into existence, how come no one has figured them out yet? Do you feel as if the markets can be beat ?

Thanks
TradingMasters

What do you think - you have a web site promising such :rolleyes:

TradingMasters said:
Yes you make a profit but at the expense of how many losses, I feel as if the markets will never be beat :p

further to Neil's comment..........

If you feel like that why would you be trying to sell a system?

pete

"Its much easier to predict the next 5 mins of you life, than the next 5 month of you life. The same applies to the markets".

CJ