I need help to join the dark side

-Catalin-

So ladies and gents, I can’t code and there is a chance my dog is more computer literate than myself but I won’t let it stop me. I currently have two strategies with positive expectancies and would like to automate both. I need advice on how I can store it on my own PC rather than the broker’s server, as well as general advice in terms my dog would understand so he can then explain it to me. Many thanks.

That's a tough one, trying to run your own strategy outside your broker's platform is probably going to require some level of computer literacy. I'm guessing you'll need to hire somebody to code up your strategies and then figure out the best way to automate them. Which all depends on which broker you're using, the markets you're trading and the frequency of the trades. Without knowing more about all of that, it's hard to make any recommendations.

Are you using MT4 platform ?
If you are I can recommend a very reasonable coder.

Thanks for the replies, I just got myself on a coding course, hopefully in a few months I will be ok.

@Sharky, It is for the Dax and Dow. All in all, It generates on average 3 signals per week. I use a few brokers but for this, at present, I use IG & PRT which from now on should also allow me to practice coding. For the future I’d like the idea of using a remote server, but I wouldn’t know how that works currently to save my life.

@Pat494 I have never used MT4.

All the best.

I recommend having a look at MT4 or 5 - they are free and are the most widely used.

Any positive expectancy strategy is actually a negative expectancy one as long as it is speculative, because financial markets are an epitome of randomness. Yet if your strategies have a non-speculative edge, you should have no issue partnering with a top coder.

Any positive expectancy strategy is actually a negative expectancy one as long as it is speculative, because financial markets are an epitome of randomness. Yet if your strategies have a non-speculative edge, you should have no issue partnering with a top coder.

Great, thanks.

Are you using MT4 platform ?
If you are I can recommend a very reasonable coder.
I know it is like asking how long a piece of string is but would you please attempt to quantify reasonable? If it matters, most of what I do is based on PA, I hardly use indicators.

hey there ...if you go onto any of the big outsourcing sites a lot of programmers are available at competitive hourly costs ....like

like Freelancer.com

N

Before you speak to any programmers or try to do it yourself, have a think about what your requirements are, for example:

1. On what time-frame would you like it to run? i.e. does it need check the market daily/hourly etc.
2. How resilient does it need to be? What happens if, for some reason, it stops working? what are the risks, how could they be mitigated?
3. Is the system to be fully automated or is some manual intervention required?
4. What are the data requirements? Does it require lots of historical data? Do you have access to the data you need?
5. Does the system need to be able to run backtests or is it just to be used for live running (I presume it will run on a demo account for testing before moving to a live account?).

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, just a quick update, I gave up on the idea ..... I guess I'm too thick. I since went up a few timeframes, my strats still work and my time on the screens is finally reduced. I might not get a signal for a few days (two weeks the most) but so far so good. All the best to you all.

Last edited:
I know it is like asking how long a piece of string is but would you please attempt to quantify reasonable? If it matters, most of what I do is based on PA, I hardly use indicators.
He charges about $100 for an average MT4 programme and takes a few days.
You have to give him the exact requirements though. No airy fairy hopes etc.

He charges about $100 for an average MT4 programme and takes a few days.
You have to give him the exact requirements though. No airy fairy hopes etc.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Unfortunately I spent quite a bit more than that and still failed due to my inability to learn new tricks. I might have another go at some point but will give it a break for a while as it got to me.