How/What Job Can I Get Retrained For To Prosper?

thepixelpusher

I've been a longtime member and enjoyed all the great information here and I'm hoping the "crowdsourcing" for answers here works for me and others in this serious request.

For the 2nd time in 2 years I've been downsized. As I pursue something in my field of experience (usually low pay and long hours) I'm seriously thinking I may consider another job if the retraining is very short and the job is in a field that has less candidates than jobs. Being older and cash strapped from the last time of 1-1/2 years of unemployment means things have to move fast.

I've tried my own business in my field in the last downsizing and it was not enough cash and there are so many out there willing to work for peanuts. With little savings this time I still see the costs adding up fast even when I've dropped all frills and acted super frugal (no cable, etc.).

I'm hoping "crowd-sourcing" here means someone has an "in" as to what jobs are red hot and easy to get into. I know they exist but are not generally known. If I had 2 years I'd go back to school to learn CAD Sprinkler Design for buildings. My brother has this business and it has less candidates than jobs and kids come out of low cost 2-year technical schools making boatloads of cash and SUV's for signing bonuses.

PLEASE keep to the topic of suggesting jobs and not sniping at the unemployed, no political comments or general bickering and no spam or pyramid marketing schemes. This is serious for me and many others here too. We need real answers and someone here has good information to share.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
well if I cant snipe at the parties concerned (having been there my self many times)

look inside yourself and explore what you are good at (for the Long term income)
be brutal on what is available to you short term - and take it as a job....for cashflow
dont get desperate and apply or pay for dead end schemes and opportunities...they are all scams

good luck and go gettum
NVP

I've done all that already and it's not gotten me any traction. I'm fantastic at what I do but the market doesn't bear anymore than it does in this economy and supply of candidates. I'm looking for jobs that are under served by candidates. That's the key.

It's kind of like fishing in the part of the lake where there are little to no fish and each time you drop your hook you hope for good luck when it's not really possible.

There are jobs out there that do well even in a down economy. I'm looking for those, in that list, that require little training to get into them. I need specifics.

Last edited:
I've done all that already and it's not gotten me any traction. I'm fantastic at what I do but the market doesn't bear anymore than it does in this economy and supply of candidates. I'm looking for jobs that are under served by candidates. That's the key.

It's kind of like fishing in the part of the lake where there are little to no fish and each time you drop your hook you hope for good luck when it's not really possible.

There are jobs out there that do well even in a down economy. I'm looking for those, in that list, that require little training to get into them. I need specifics.

then change, adapt survive.......dont restrict your path or thought process ......the modern world requires a more wider approach to reviewing your skills traits and talents.........how can you adapt those traits into other areas ?

theres a lot of books out there regarding how you can brainstorm your skills and broaden the ideas and options (y)

N

Copper mining in Australia is netting AUD5000 per week and I know someone with zero mining experience who got a job. Go ask if you can help out in a mine for free and they pay someone for a blag reference. Keep it schtum.

if i had the specifics why would i tell you ?

you reduce my chance of being sucessful in those fields by one person ?

N

awe..........now we've woken up the gang.........

Copper mining in Australia is netting AUD5000 per week and I know someone with zero mining experience who got a job. Go ask if you can help out in a mine for free and they pay someone for a blag reference. Keep it schtum.

Great suggestion. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
if i had the specifics why would i tell you ?

you reduce my chance of being sucessful in those fields by one person ?

N

Not at all. An under served market and people in it are not threatened by others because there are plenty of jobs. If I had 2 years to retrain I'd be a Fire Sprinkler Designer (people that design the layout of those sprinkler heads in the ceilings of office bldgs). It's a wide open market and the people I know get cash when they refer someone to a company.

Last edited:
Not at all. An under served markets and people in it are not threatened by others because there are plenty of jobs. If I had 2 years to retrain I'd be a Fire Sprinkler Designer (people that design the layout of those sprinkler heads in the ceilings of office bldgs). It's a wide open market and the people I know get cash when they refer someone to a company.

Desparation is the enemy of logic.
Go to a career advisor.
Before that "cut your cloth according to your means.":)

Crowd sourcing ideas is a quicker way to finding answers.

I have been to advisors, many in fact, who don't seem to have any idea what jobs are hot out there. Otherwise I would'nt need to come here to ask this. Trust me, this thread was only started only after exhausting all other avenues of research and networking.

I absolutely live within my means. Frugal is my middle name.

Please let's not focus on the unemployment topic but rather focus on ideas for the solution.

Not at all. An under served market and people in it are not threatened by others because there are plenty of jobs. If I had 2 years to retrain I'd be a Fire Sprinkler Designer (people that design the layout of those sprinkler heads in the ceilings of office bldgs). It's a wide open market and the people I know get cash when they refer someone to a company.

so why train for 2 years ?
just set up a referral database yourself and door knock offices ?
you could generate a lot of commission for yourself ? :smart:

Thats sales ....the best and fastest way to always make money

I've set up a new thread myself in the foyer to see what income generation ideas people may have have in the T2W cosmos...could generate some ideas

i'm not holding my breath though

N

I have looked into things related to the Fire Sprinkler market, but so far no need for the other jobs other than the Hot profession of Designer, which requires at least 2 yrs. schooling.

There is someone with answers for you and I. Some of them are here.

Last edited:
Crowd sourcing ideas is a quicker way to finding answers.

I have been to advisors, many in fact, who don't seem to have any idea what jobs are hot out there. Otherwise I would'nt need to come here to ask this. Trust me, this thread was only started only after exhausting all other avenues of research and networking.

we agree 100% there P........advisors are probably not the best route

I was reading my collection of Richdadpoordad books recently (dont laugh - i read a wide wide cross section of the old $$$ wealth books for ideas)

and he is right in one area...........ideas are 2 a penny .........its the creation and maintenance of an efficient,foolproof system to execute the idea that makes the most money and creates wealth:smart:

N

also I would suggest you research the futurism websites....they are good ?

I used to use someone called faith popcorn to surf ideas and new waves of future opportunities when I was with BA on the commercial side

she also published many moons ago (the popcorn report) and no doubt still does regarding whats next and where to hang ones hat .........

N

this has the makings of a good thread...........and I really hope we can generate some ideas for you P

in my 30+ years of working ive been made redundant about 4 times, resigned twice and was declared a bankrupt in Australia and then New Zealand a few years back with some small business ventures

I am currently employed as an analyst for a Global blue chip and do make a little on the side as a trader (see my 3 year long running thread) .........but now in my 50's (as well) I know I am always perhaps just 3-6 months away from redundancy or unemployment if I dont tow the corporate line or they pull the plug on the uk......and then I have to fend for myself again in the real world

we are all in similar boats my friend ......its just about timing and luck .....

rich dad poor dad is also right about being self-employed and/or an employee.........you are always restrained and imprisoned by an employers whim or your own physical limitations

the real potential freedom is in having a business and being an investor in businesses.....both needing determination , focus , energy , courage , commitment, business experience, skill, a little luck and money !

N

Last edited:
its the creation and maintenance of an efficient,foolproof system to execute the idea that makes the most money and creates wealth:smart:

N

Right. Apple took an existing market and exploited it by making the phone an easy, fun and important mobile hub for people's busy lives. It's driven them to the #1 stock in the world. A company that, in the 90's, Time Magazine had the Apple logo on a tombstone with R.I.P. on it on their cover. Now look where they are. That refined idea propelled Apple to the top.

BTW, I love the Rich Dad Poor Dad series!

Right. Apple took an existing market and exploited it by making the phone an easy, fun and important mobile hub for people's busy lives. It's driven them to the #1 stock in the world. A company that, in the 90's, Time Magazine had the Apple logo on a tombstone with R.I.P. on it on their cover. Now look where they are. That refined idea propelled Apple to the top.

BTW, I love the Rich Dad Poor Dad series!

glad you've read them ..............i had them on the shelf for a couple of years and dusted them off last week or so alongside a lot of other classics

the older I get the more they make sense ......;)

arbitraging cheaper products markets and labour costs used to work (china/india/eastern europe vs west)......

hey perhaps it still can ?

or we reverse the process to give the indian market something that is actually

1) the spec they asked us for
2) works properly
3) is delivered on time ?

(sorry outsourcing in-joke)

N