Best Thread How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

Hi,
Not really. There are some stocks which I trade more than others but not significantly so. I used to have a core list but decided to stop that as I wasn't trading them all that often. Some people like a top down approach, but personally I prefer to focus on stocks which are actually moving. Certainly if you were to notice the gold sector was moving before market open then looking at two or three of the gold stocks would be worthwhile.
Hope that helps,
Richard

Yes I remember seeing your core list it included the likes of AAPL & GOOG. I also remember reading in the beginning of this thread that you did not like trading stocks like that because they were unreadable. My how some forget?

Well in fairness, I think it has been said that it is 80% mechanical. So what are the mechanical rules? Obviously nobody can test it if the rules are not clear, so what you're asking can't happen until the rules are defined.

Would someone provide these mechanical rules?

Mr. Charts could clarify this for you but he must not be bothered by such trivial requests.

Hi D70,
Some questions if you don't mind. Did you use Time and Sales to help with your entry and points? Have you taken time of day into consideration - see post 1418 by Duncanhoo - "Don't bother with this setup between 11:30-1PM EST."?
Zing

What ever happend to Duncanhoo? I would like to know how he has made out since signing up with Mr. Charts.

Hello,
At the risk of embarrassing myself, I will provide a screen shot on some trades and post them to a different thread - as soon as I find one. I don't think it's appropriate to put them in Richard's thread. Much to work on....
Regards,
Zing

Hi Zing189,

Can you screen shot your next 5 trades please?

Hello,
At the risk of embarrassing myself, I will provide a screen shot on some trades and post them to a different thread - as soon as I find one. I don't think it's appropriate to put them in Richard's thread. Much to work on....
Regards,
Zing

You might as well post them on this thread. There hasnt been any new content in a long time.

Hi all,
Is anyone successful with this method using Interactive Brokers charting only?

If yes, how do you manage tracking the previous days high/lows. I ask because entering a trade at the previous day's high or low improves the odds of success (IMHO-comments welcomed) but IB does not automatically draw lines for previous days high or lows (and is horribly slow at updating). I currently track previous high/low by including a view of a 1 wk daily chart.

Any better and cost effective ideas out there?
Zing

You can group 2 charts with different time intervals. e.g. one chart 2 days 15mins. the other one intraday 1min chart.

Hi all,

If yes, how do you manage tracking the previous days high/lows. I ask because entering a trade at the previous day's high or low improves the odds of success (IMHO-comments welcomed) but IB does not automatically draw lines for previous days high or lows (and is horribly slow at updating). I currently track previous high/low by including a view of a 1 wk daily chart.

Zing

Hi all,

Zing

Hey Zing

I certainly agree with what you say, I don't have the 'ideal' solition but I trade a methodology which very similar. So, after using the IB scanner to give me a list of filtered stocks (lets say biggest gainers) I 'highlight and copy' the stocks and then 'paste' into an IB watchlist. One of the columbs is 'spread' to I sort on this and delete stocks accordingly. I then further reduce the list size if necessary by sorting on 'Range'. I will have a max of 12 stocks now so I can create a multiple chart so see trend or otherwise of all of them on one screen (I have four monitor system btw). I will then select the appropriately coloured 'link' so that when I click on a stock in the 'watchlist' it automatically populates two charts with this stocks's data - one is a 32x1 min chart the other is a 2 day x 5 min chart. Looking at the 2nd tells me if above the previous HoD. I then use 'Charttrader' on the first chart to set LMT entry and stops etc.

Crikey, I think I confused myself here but hopefully you get what I mean? If not just ask again LOL.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for the helpful details! I need all the help that I can get. My watchlist shows that it was good day to go long today (QQQ +1.34%, SPY +1.2%) but you would never know that by looking at my P/L for today. My best trade was on TROX - a top gainer for the day. Did anyone else trade TROX?
Regards,
Zing

A comment on a previous posting that I made: I mentioned earlier that I would post some of my trades. I tried to create journal but it was rejected as I need to have a minimum number of postings. Several more to go.....

Hey Zing

I certainly agree with what you say, I don't have the 'ideal' solition but I trade a methodology which very similar. So, after using the IB scanner to give me a list of filtered stocks (lets say biggest gainers) I 'highlight and copy' the stocks and then 'paste' into an IB watchlist. One of the columbs is 'spread' to I sort on this and delete stocks accordingly. I then further reduce the list size if necessary by sorting on 'Range'. I will have a max of 12 stocks now so I can create a multiple chart so see trend or otherwise of all of them on one screen (I have four monitor system btw). I will then select the appropriately coloured 'link' so that when I click on a stock in the 'watchlist' it automatically populates two charts with this stocks's data - one is a 32x1 min chart the other is a 2 day x 5 min chart. Looking at the 2nd tells me if above the previous HoD. I then use 'Charttrader' on the first chart to set LMT entry and stops etc.

Crikey, I think I confused myself here but hopefully you get what I mean? If not just ask again LOL.

Cheers
Steve

Who is Mr charts!

He is a Dentist turned Day-Trader. He lives with his wife and children and enjoys offering them gifts at special times of the year. His gifts to his family and to civilisation in general all stem from Scalping financial stocks and markets.

EOS!

Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for the helpful details! I need all the help that I can get. My watchlist shows that it was good day to go long today (QQQ +1.34%, SPY +1.2%) but you would never know that by looking at my P/L for today. My best trade was on TROX - a top gainer for the day. Did anyone else trade TROX?
Regards,
Zing

A comment on a previous posting that I made: I mentioned earlier that I would post some of my trades. I tried to create journal but it was rejected as I need to have a minimum number of postings. Several more to go.....

Hi Zing

Just my own preference, really, buy I tend to avoid stocks under $20 so TROX wouldn't get on my list. My filter only presents stocks between $20 and $100 which, along with manually adjusting min volume for the day, as the day progresses, helps to narrow down on suitable spread and ATR of stocks. (I notice the ATR on TROX is a bit on the low side for me too).

Cheers
Steve

Mr. Charts,

If you get a chance can you tell me what shows you the market is going to cause choppy trading? It appears when the market is choppy losses seem to pile up. Today seemed very difficult. Is that because the market was flat with no real direction?

Drop me an email and I'll be glad to help.
Richard

Hi Mr. Charts,

I cannot email you through T2W because I have not posted enough comments to satisfy the minimum postings required. But I did figure out what I am doing wrong. I am trading stocks that are not trending as required on this thread. I need to become more disciplined like you.

Hi rob0003,
Google me - Mr. Charts - and you'll soon find my email.
If I put it up here they will ban me !

A Very Happy New Year to all my friends here and even to the people who attack me :)
Life is too short for attacks, innuendo, negativity etc.
As Dave Allen used to sign off, "May your god (or whatever you hold dear) go with you".
Richard

Last edited:
Hi rob0003,
Google me - Mr. Charts - and you'll soon find my email.
If I put it up here they will ban me !

A Very Happy New Year to all my friends here and even to the people who attack me :)
Life is too short for attacks, innuendo, negativity etc.
As Dave King used to sign off, "May your god (or whatever you hold dear) go with you".
Richard
Dave Allen said:
"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you."

happy new year, Richard