How many kinds of traders are there?

ares9245

Guys,

I have applied for market maker(junior arbitrage trader, are they the same?) position.

I don't really know what exactly they do and what other forms of trader there are.
Anyone could give some tips?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Lu

Yes. Cover your tracks. Do your homework. Don’t assume everyone else is stupid. Become a master of disguise.

With all of those tips under your belt you’ll find a better place I’m sure.

I know a lot of knobs, some who are O.K. and a number who are a right good eggs.

I know a lot of knobs, some who are O.K. and a number who are a right good eggs.

The Goodies, The Bastidios and The Stinkers :cheesy:

In my years in IT and working for City firms I had the displeasure of trying to help one out who had a desktop problem.

I asked for his extension and he replied, I'm in the directory look it up and slammed the phone down on me.

I still followed up the support call (the true professional that I am) and he later apologised. I still thought he was a dick head though. A lot of them are. Money and power gets to them. They think they are the centre of all profits and you are merely a servant a cost centre IT.

I think traders in that state are bunch of miserable ******s because even if they are living it up, internally they know no peace or harmony. I think should I pitty the bastidlies... No let them drown in their missery the low life forms that they are... :cheesy:

Guys,

I have applied for market maker(junior arbitrage trader, are they the same?) position.

I don't really know what exactly they do and what other forms of trader there are.

sounds like a fancy way to describe trading calendar spreads in the STIR futures, since you selectively quote the markets in the spreads or legs with a view to getting onto another spread at an advantageous price a bit further along the curve.

A market maker is just someone, anyone, who quotes the market. This can be in an official capacity as a designated market maker (incentivised by the exchange) or indirect liquidity provision.

The other main styles of trading are basically spreaders - ie: calendars in STIRs such as Euribor, Sterling or Eurodollar or crude oil/currencies/bonds/ags, or intermarket spreaders ie: Bund/Bobl/Shatz/Euribor or any other of the numerous variations.

Adise from spreading, the only other style is the outrights, ie: outright long or short - just taking a plain old view on the market going up or down.:arrowu: :arrowd:

thats it AFAIK

are liffe still paying out 8k pcm for making markets in stirs? i heard they got wind of people automating a constant quote 6+ ticks from the inside so although always quoting, they hardly ever there to trade against?

sounds like a fancy way to describe trading calendar spreads in the STIR futures, since you selectively quote the markets in the spreads or legs with a view to getting onto another spread at an advantageous price a bit further along the curve.

Hi Arb,

Could you elaborate on the above if you have a few spare minutes? I've been trying to leg into a few spreads and flies in Short Sterling (mostly 2009 contracts) over the past week, but rarely seem to get any fills.

Cheers,

fcmisc.