IMC Amsterdam test!!

Hi, after you passed the SHL numerical then the telephone interview is coming?? They said I didn't pass the SHL numerical test. Can I ask how much time did you spend on the test? The SHL numerical test is the same with most of investment banks shl test, I have done so many times of the same version 21 minutes shl test and I passed them for the banks. I almost memorised each answer for these questions. I completed the test for amsterdam based IMC 6 minutes ahead, they still said I failed the test. What's their problem????

Hi Mensatrader, sorry to hear that IMC are not taking your application further. I completed the test 1 minute ahead and must have got a few wrong in the process. I guess i got lucky. Did you ask for your test results? In the e-mail they sent they stated " based on your test results and background..." So maybe its worthwhile to ask what there pass mark was. It must suck regardless.

I wish you all the best with your future applications.

Hi Mensatrader, sorry to hear that IMC are not taking your application further. I completed the test 1 minute ahead and must have got a few wrong in the process. I guess i got lucky. Did you ask for your test results? In the e-mail they sent they stated " based on your test results and background..." So maybe its worthwhile to ask what there pass mark was. It must suck regardless.

I wish you all the best with your future applications.

Hi mcharj, thank you very much for your reply. I asked them about my result and they didn't tell me. I suppose the junior trader strategist do not prefer graduate with no experience.

Good luck with your further process!

Hey guys,

why am I not surprised with what you said. These online SHL tests are just a filter for those applicants for which the firms are undecided for. There is no pass or fail, they just want to see if the candidates they prefer can do it reasonably well-and then reject the others.
I have done these damn tests for various banks and passed them with the exception of Barcap ---then again it is well known that Barcap use fake apps.
So, luck is a major factor. And I am convinced that they tend to prefer AT LEAST some experience.

Good luck to all of us for the future.
It doesn't matter if 100 say no, as long as 1 says yes!

Hey guys,

why am I not surprised with what you said. These online SHL tests are just a filter for those applicants for which the firms are undecided for. There is no pass or fail, they just want to see if the candidates they prefer can do it reasonably well-and then reject the others.
I have done these damn tests for various banks and passed them with the exception of Barcap ---then again it is well known that Barcap use fake apps.
So, luck is a major factor. And I am convinced that they tend to prefer AT LEAST some experience.

Good luck to all of us for the future.
It doesn't matter if 100 say no, as long as 1 says yes!

Thanks man.
Barclays SHL numerical test was almost the same with the Amsterdam IMC shl numerical test. I passed the Barclays SHL numerical test, as soon as you passed the numerical, Barclays would send an immediate email to confirm your passing the numerical and to continue the verbal which was much more difficult than the numerical.

Today I got rejected by Optiver. And the HR from Optiver was very sincere and she told me patiently that I got rejected because of two reasons: 1. they prefer candidates who have done internships; 2. The credit crunch made them more selective.
But I personally think the second reason is more important.

Good luck

Can anyone comment on the test itself?
It is the same as Optiver`s, with a lot of fractions?
Or is it like this one DennisFleurbaaij.com?
Failed the Optiver test today because of the great amount of fractions, and the fact that they often place the question mark before the '=' sign. Like 13/36 : ? =3/7

thanks in advance

imc

Can anyone comment on the test itself?
It is the same as Optiver`s, with a lot of fractions?
Or is it like this one DennisFleurbaaij.com?
Failed the Optiver test today because of the great amount of fractions, and the fact that they often place the question mark before the '=' sign. Like 13/36 : ? =3/7

thanks in advance

IMC test consists of three areas. Maths, verbal and diagrams. All by SHL. I found the diagram test the most difficult.

All the best.

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how long it takes for IMC to respond with feedback once you have taken the online numerical test?

I took the test almost a week ago and no feedback yet. What were your experiences?

Cheers..

hummm... I took the first Numerical test but then received a mail for a quick phone interview (15-20min).

"Thank you for taking your time for doing the online test.

Based on the test results and your background I would like to invite you for a short phone interview to speak about your motivation for the position of Junior Trader - Strategist. Besides that I would like to give you more information about IMC and the opportunities.

I would like to ask you if XXX @ XXX Dutch time would suit you? The call will take about 15-20 minutes.

I hope to hear from you.

With kind regards,"

Does it mean I have failed? Because I did not receive an invitation to do the other remaining tests!

thanks!

Hi all!
[This is my first post.]

I don't think you srewed the test alex, thay want to interview you... It's what they call "Speed Dating".

It's a conf call with an HR and 2 or 3 manager (senior traders), a mix between personnality and technical and easy questions (This was what I had by phone for a position in HK, I think it's pretty the same for Amsterdam) -> Confirm the date and time of the interview and GL :)

My question is a little bit different:

I've been invited for a final round interviews with IMC Asia Pacific in HK. I am too happy they took the risk to invite me and pay the plane ticket (PAris - HK) just for interviews...

Do you guys have any tips or idea about what would the tests look? (especially Broker tests, Marketmakers test and trading simulation)

I am really excited to go there but I don't know how to prepare for those interviews..

thanks a lot!

Salut doudi,

Je viens juste de faire le test SHL pour un poste à Amsterdam et je pense que j'ai 1/2 questions auxquelles j'ai pas bien répondu. Tu as une idée du barème ou ils veulent que toutes les réponses soient correctes ?

Merci

Hi all!
[This is my first post.]

I don't think you srewed the test alex, thay want to interview you... It's what they call "Speed Dating".

It's a conf call with an HR and 2 or 3 manager (senior traders), a mix between personnality and technical and easy questions (This was what I had by phone for a position in HK, I think it's pretty the same for Amsterdam) -> Confirm the date and time of the interview and GL :)

My question is a little bit different:

I've been invited for a final round interviews with IMC Asia Pacific in HK. I am too happy they took the risk to invite me and pay the plane ticket (PAris - HK) just for interviews...

Do you guys have any tips or idea about what would the tests look? (especially Broker tests, Marketmakers test and trading simulation)

I am really excited to go there but I don't know how to prepare for those interviews..

thanks a lot!

Hi Stefan,

Well I am sure I had about >80% correct, and still that wasnt enough.... the lady in fact proposed me to be "Assistant Trader" instead...

Looks like the limit is much higher than IB in London and NY :(

Hi Alex,

Actually, the first time they called me, they were saying something about trader assistant as well, but when they sent my id to take the online test, the job offer was saying "junior trader strategist". Maybe "junior trader strategist" = trader assistant. Anyway, if it's on a derivatives trading desk, even as a trader assistant, it's a good experience. I defentively want to trade my own flat book of options, so I guess if you are really motivated, the rest doesn't really matter.

Hi Stefan,

Well I am sure I had about >80% correct, and still that wasnt enough.... the lady in fact proposed me to be "Assistant Trader" instead...

Looks like the limit is much higher than IB in London and NY :(

Well I had a 1-hour interview on monday 19th with the lady (competency based), and told me she would call me back either on Friday 23 or Monday 26 at the latest to tell me if I am to be selected for the A.C.

It's now Wednesday 28 and I still haven't heard of her oO.

What about you stefan? When did you have your interview and did the HR lady get back to you?
I'd be glad to know if its because I havent been slected or because there ahs been some delays in the selection process.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

I did the SHL test on Sunday (25 Oct) and they didn't call me back yet. I am still waiting. How much did it take to call you back ?

Thanks

I took the test Monday Morning and got a call back on Wed (2 days). That was quite fast. Most likely, you'll have a callback by this Friday. Good luck!

Last edited:
Any news Alex ? I did not received any mail yet. I think I am going to call them tomorow.
What kind of question did you had for the 2nd interview ?

I had an online Maths test, then a competency based phone interview. So there is basically only 1 interview (if you're successful, I guess there's still an A.C.).

I think you are asking me about the phone interview, right?
The questions are fairly basic and much less difficult than in other IB.... I was really surprised, like:
- why did u study finance? Why a Master in finance?
- Are you happy to relocate to the NL?
- What makes you fit for the position?
- Tell me a bit about your working experiences.... what have your learnt that you think could be useful to the company?

I was taken quite aback, because she did not ask me for classical competency questions like "Are you a team leader or a team member", "can U show an experience in which you have been entrepreneurial"....

Hope that helps. Im going to call the HR lady today to know whats going on with my phone interview...

EDIT: Just called the HR lady.... she said results will be sent by email / phone conversation this Monday.
And it seems they are making quite a confusion between Trader Junior and Trading Assistant... (it's also the same person who is in charge for these two roles).

Last edited:
Any news Alex ?
They called me this morning and they are going to sent me another link to do more SHL tests...I don't understand how their recruitement works...It's strange any way.
I didn't exactelly had the same questions as you.

shl test for Optiver

Hi Guys,

I believe some of you are not in Netherlands, and thus have had opportunity to take the SHL test for IMC. My question is what is it like ?

Is it like usual Barclays(I banks) SHL numerical test
OR
Is it the one of those fast paced 80 question in 10 minutes kind ????

Appreciate your thoughts and insight

Last edited: