How I Made $2,000,000 --by Nicolas Darvas

This was the first investing book I read. The 'box theory' is very simple and I think still applicable. Then again the market was trending up at that time. Luck played a part in his success.

And it takes money to make money, is it not? He could afford to spend quite a bit on shares and could afford to lose them as well. Who among us is willing to lose our house?!

How I made $2000,000

...........selling some book entitled "How I made $2000,000"!

hungvir said:
This was the first investing book I read. The 'box theory' is very simple and I think still applicable. Then again the market was trending up at that time. Luck played a part in his success.

And it takes money to make money, is it not? He could afford to spend quite a bit on shares and could afford to lose them as well. Who among us is willing to lose our house?!

If you read his book, you will know he also had to get through a bear market. And he started with only a small amount of money, because he started losing heavy on Canadian gold shares.

http://www.pro-trader.com.au/darvastrading.asp

Baruch said:
If you read his book, you will know he also had to get through a bear market. And he started with only a small amount of money, because he started losing heavy on Canadian gold shares.

http://www.pro-trader.com.au/darvastrading.asp

You made me ask myself if I'd read the book at all :)

I'll read it again at some point but if I remember correctly, he was paid (given as a present?) quite a number of shares.

expensif said:
I have got the source code for that one, if somebody is interested. Looks like they´re going to commercialize it or something...

Source code? :rolleyes:

Thanks that was a very insightful link looking at Darvas. In a nutshell Darvas knew how to take a profit ..if he had not you would have seen an article entitled "how I made $200,000 dollars in the stock market".

"Yes, he used a trailing stop, but he never sold a stock because it was "too high". "...he did ,but I doubt he thought of it exactly like that...when you place a trailing stop and you are into profit what you're doing is saying I won't risk giving up more than this amount of open profit .By implication what you are doing perhaps subconsciously is you are saying to balance risk I am capping the downside here which by implication is defining some expectation on the upside you think is still probable. If you really thought the upside was actually never going to be "too high" to sell then you would never need a trailing stop..hope that is understandable as in reading it it does not immediately look the clearest explanation i ever attempted.