How do you trade after a news release or other even creates an abnormally long bar

myownceo727

When looking at a chart pattern or your waiting for resistance to break

and then for some reason you get an abnormally long bar for any reason as such as the result of a news release do your treat the bar as part of the pattern or use it as a deciding factor to execute your strategy if the long bar triggers your rules?

I notice after long bars the price normally ends up snapping back to the original range!

Id like to hear thoughts from more advanced traders!

I trade the ES by the way

and then for some reason you get an abnormally long bar for any reason as such as the result of a news release do your treat the bar as part of the pattern or use it as a deciding factor to execute your strategy if the long bar triggers your rules?

I notice after long bars the price normally ends up snapping back to the original range!

Buying an abnormally long drink?

Its not normally good practise to buy or sell just because of one indicator (like a long bar). You need to take more factors into account.

Support / Resistance
Which way is the market moving

There is a lot more to it. We wish it could be simplified to one variable, but alas that is the world of trading :)

Winattrading

In that case you are back to where you were before the news came out so I would continue my strategy as if the abnormally long bar didn't exist.

A few other rules of thumb:
- if the long bar is against the larger time frame trend then fade it.
- if the long bar is in the same direction as the larger time frame trend go in the same direction.

Nothing is concrete or guaranteed so use sensible money management.

Peter

A few other rules of thumb:
- if the long bar is against the larger time frame trend then fade it.
- if the long bar is in the same direction as the larger time frame trend go in the same direction.

Nothing is concrete or guaranteed so use sensible money management.

Peter[/QUOTE]

so lets say I was planning to fade a retracement back to the range, are you saying that I should ignore the long bar as being part of the range, and that i should Litteraly just act like it never existed

Its not normally good practise to buy or sell just because of one indicator (like a long bar). You need to take more factors into account.

Support / Resistance
Which way is the market moving

There is a lot more to it. We wish it could be simplified to one variable, but alas that is the world of trading :)

Winattrading

what variables do you suggest looking at