Health & fitness

The good thing about free-weights is that they train the supporting muscles.

What do you mean by supporting muscles? the back etc. when doing bicep curls for example?
Basically, I think the dumbells get right into the corners, the knucks and crannies of the muscles and work them, whereas the machine weights just work the middles 50% ( so to speak) of the muscle/s.

In the real world, when a muscle does work to lift a box, you're not just using the biceps. You're using muscles in the hand, the forearm, the shoulder, the core muscles, the legs to greater or lesser degrees. When you use a weight machine, it isolates the biceps to a good degree. This means that you can build bigger biceps but they're useless without the supporting muscles, and using it to its extreme is likely to cause you injuries.

As an example, do shoulder presses with free weights and with a machine. With a machine you can easily stand/sit such that the rest of your body can relax. You can even have your hand relaxed. Now do it with a pair of dumbells (or even, just one dumbell). Your back tenses, your arm tenses, you grip firmly, your sides tense.

I only like the machines for ab pull-downs and lats because I don't have access to a chin-up bar. All my work is directly against gravity.

lifting 10 reps of 20KG in 20 seconds, is no more useful than lifting 5 reps of 10kg , in 20 seconds IMO. Its also about working smarter, and not harder

I used to be a competitive sportsman and the key issue when using weights is "workload" which is (weight x reps) /Time. Based on this the workload in your first example = 10 and in the second example = 2.5 so I would have to say that in the first case it is significantly better than the second.

Paul

I used to be a competitive sportsman and the key issue when using weights is "workload" which is (weight x reps) /Time. Based on this the workload in your first example = 10 and in the second example = 2.5 so I would have to say that in the first case it is significantly better than the second.

Paul

Maybe.

I'm just talking about the feel of perceived strain on the body. i.e. slower repetitions with a pause and less weight can achieve the same feeling of stress on the muscles as a much heavier weight and faster repetitions.
Also, with weight training, technique is important, and breathing/oxygen intake is important for technique and improvement in fitness. It is difficult to maintain the correct technique when doing quick reps. and when lifting/struggling with a heavy weight, not only is it difficult to maintain the correct technique, as your instinct is to rush and get it over and done with ASAP, you are more inclined not to breathe correctly as a result.
For me, with the low weight dumbells, and the slower reps, I feel that i am placing the same strain on my muscles. When doing 12 reps, i may pause for a few breaths after 8 reps, as i know that notdoing so, will lead to me comprimising technique & breathing.

If looking how much your muscles have been pumped during the workouts is anything to go by, i have the feeling that my new 8-12kg dumbell routine is doing more for me - while been more fun, less stressful/lighter, lighter in weight etc.

Last edited:
In the real world, when a muscle does work to lift a box, you're not just using the biceps. You're using muscles in the hand, the forearm, the shoulder, the core muscles, the legs to greater or lesser degrees. When you use a weight machine, it isolates the biceps to a good degree. This means that you can build bigger biceps but they're useless without the supporting muscles, and using it to its extreme is likely to cause you injuries.

As an example, do shoulder presses with free weights and with a machine. With a machine you can easily stand/sit such that the rest of your body can relax. You can even have your hand relaxed. Now do it with a pair of dumbells (or even, just one dumbell). Your back tenses, your arm tenses, you grip firmly, your sides tense.

I only like the machines for ab pull-downs and lats because I don't have access to a chin-up bar. All my work is directly against gravity.

Yes thanks, you make sense. It is possible to cheat to some extent also on some machines - not using certain muscles etc that the machine can and should be used for. eg. a back press machine - a roller that you have to extend backwards from a curled up sitting position, with your feet on a platform. The exercise is designed to use the small group of muscles at the base of the back, but by cheating u can spread the load by maybe as much as 50/50 onto the legs :whistling.

Also with machine weights, the extent to which u can custom fit the range of motion that the exercise provides to your body is also comprimised - eg. for tall people. This can reduce the benefits that any machine can provide.

Maybe.

I'm just talking about the feel of perceived strain on the body. i.e. slower repetitions with a pause and less weight can achieve the same feeling of stress on the muscles as a much heavier weight and faster repetitions.
Also, with weight training, technique is important, and breathing/oxygen intake is important for technique and improvement in fitness. It is difficult to maintain the correct technique when doing quick reps. and when lifting/struggling with a heavy weight, not only is it difficult to maintain the correct technique, as your instinct is to rush and get it over and done with ASAP, you are more inclined not to breathe correctly as a result.
For me, with the low weight dumbells, and the slower reps, I feel that i am placing the same strain on my muscles. When doing 12 reps, i may pause for a few breaths after 8 reps, as i know that notdoing so, will lead to me comprimising technique & breathing.

If looking how much your muscles have been pumped during the workouts is anything to go by, i have the feeling that my new 8-12kg dumbell routine is doing more for me - while been more fun, less stressful/lighter, lighter in weight etc.

I was once well into the weight training, and read all the magazings cover to cover, week to week.

The only conclusion I drew when I eventually lost interest was that for every opinion, there was an equal and opposite opinion. In this case, although most had "gotten huge" by extremely high weights / Low reps, there was always someone who'd managed it the other way.

You're right that slower movement with the same weight equates to much harder work (hence gain), and probably less risk of pulled muscles.

Oh, and drugs help too.

UTB

Oh, and drugs help too.

UTB

It depends what kind of drugs..........I was on poenicillin B4 xmas for an ear infection, and doubt they'd be much use :LOL:.

Is it worth shrinking vital male parts, etc.
Someone recently told me a story of someone they knew of who started on steroids in the late 80's maybe. 6 months later, they had cancer springing up in different bodily locations :eek:.

Also, depends on your goals. Strength? Bulk?

In any case, I do a fair bit of indoor climbing and noticed when I was going regularly, my forearms were almost as big as my biceps. This isn't through reps but squeezing and holding to the point of fatigue. So my grip strength and bulk improved not by moving through the motion under constant pressure but by having 100% required strength at full contraction. Interesting.

Also, depends on your goals. Strength? Bulk?

In any case, I do a fair bit of indoor climbing and noticed when I was going regularly, my forearms were almost as big as my biceps. This isn't through reps but squeezing and holding to the point of fatigue. So my grip strength and bulk improved not by moving through the motion under constant pressure but by having 100% required strength at full contraction. Interesting.

Interesting. Someone told me of this man (can't remember who) who's training method was eg. sit in a chair and just grab the arm & squeeze push etc. Or, just push ones hand together, push your arm, leg etc. hold/tense/resist for as long as possible and release. Get that head shaking :LOL:.

Someone recently told me a story of someone they knew of who started on steroids in the late 80's maybe. 6 months later, they had cancer springing up in different bodily locations

6 months of steroid use would be far too quick for cancer to be able to be caused by it. But I do know of several people who were taking them in the 80s who have since died from cancer or other ailments relating to their use.

Paul

It is a bit like doing the slowest single push-up you can do. Pumping them out by the dozen in one thing, doing a slo-mo is quite another.

Is it worth shrinking vital male parts, etc.

no, not when like me you only have 12" to play with:LOL:

Seriously, I didn't touch them. Fags and booze are my vice.

But I trained with a chap who was obsessed by it, yet hit a wall. I couldn't describe how seriously he took it or how hard he trained, but it was phenomenal. Eventually he broke and found the needle, and my how he grew.

He spent the next year crapping himself about every ache, pain and runny nose he had.

He was also a self centered chuff so when I left we lost contact. The last thing I heard was that he'd been sacked for dealing(n)

UTB

But I trained with a chap who was obsessed by it, yet hit a wall. I couldn't describe how seriously he took it or how hard he trained, but it was phenomenal. Eventually he broke and found the needle, and my how he grew.

He spent the next year crapping himself about every ache, pain and runny nose he had.

UTB

And when u stop training, steroids or not, it all shrinks back to the natural, coach potato levels anyway - so its a pretty futile thing to become obsessed with at the end of the day:cry:.

Sleep Disorders and HGH - Human Growth Hormone

Makes sense really -
A lack of sleep leads to bags/dark circles under the eyes, dull lucking skin, a lack of energy, a feeling of mental bluntness etc. etc.

The body uses sleep time to regenerate. If u don't get enough sleep it stands to reason that your body cannot regenerate to its full level, having the likely effect of wearing you down and aging you prematurely....

Please note; i am not advocating the use of potentially very harmful hormone supplements! Just pointing out why its important to get enough shut eye!

Last edited:
The best cardio IMO is roadbiking! Turn on the iPod and away you go. Try 20-40 miles 1-3 times a week. On the days I don't ride, I bike to the gym and lift weights..then bike back home! hiking is good, canoe paddling, running and even gardening can be good exercise.

Pull ups are good, dips, leg press (for ass muscles and quads), chest press, military press, pushups, crunches, calf press (to get those sexy calf muscles!) and of course free weight lifting...all of these will eventually get you more ripped! I can't seem to get "big" but it will tone the body so the muscles can be visible.

make sure to stretch! I also find that hardcore exercise is the best way to relieve frustrations from trading. Nothing beats a little grunting and profuse sweating.

Yes but the great thing about jumping rope compared to cycling is that a boy racer, half asleep HGV driver, or plain crazy driver cannot come along and splat you. Unless you're skipping in the road of course.

....However, a spinning class is a safe form of cycling!

I regularly go to such a class at my gym. I reckon i burn 1000+ calories in the 45 min class. It's hard work, a tad boring, but i'm glad i've done it aftyerwards, and at least I'm in the company of others going through the same barriers.

Boxercise, and boxing circuits classes are also really good cross-training workouts. I've been told i float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!