Has anybody used this Manual Trading Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am not really happy with these 3 days.....trading in that way isn't fun at the moment...:(

But as I promised, I continue the strategy to take every trade (as ever possible) and go on the last 2 days of this tradingweek. I think it is very important to catch every entry because of the consistency of the whole system....

I observed my emotions while these days and learned a lot.
After being -370 in drawdown yesterday I felt some impatience and dissatisfaction and there was a temptation to trade more, what I did not...:D

At the moment my daily result is: -133pips, with 3 open shorttrades (perhaps four when eurjpy gives me an entry). When I write that I am +40pips in profit....

The daily result will change within the next hours...perhaps to my favor....all is possible:cheesy:

Update: all trades closed: daily result: -83pips

Attachments

• eurjpy_16,6,10.jpg
    eurjpy_16,6,10.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 131
  • eurusd_16,6,10.jpg
    eurusd_16,6,10.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 140
  • gbpusd_16,6,10.jpg
    gbpusd_16,6,10.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 136
  • gbpjpy_16,6,10.jpg
    gbpjpy_16,6,10.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hi mate!

I really admire you for sticking with this.

However, my own personal feeling is that ProFX simply wipes out WEEKS of hard work as soon as markets become choppy.

I had my best ever 3 weeks of trading a while back with ProFX [around 800 pips in 3 weeks], but then saw those 800 pips vapourise as soon as the market stopped trending.........

Maybe best to switch to demo account for a while m8?

Sorry can't be more help!

Rob

Hi,
I am not really happy with these 3 days.....trading in that way isn't fun at the moment...:(

But as I promised, I continue the strategy to take every trade (as ever possible) and go on the last 2 days of this tradingweek. I think it is very important to catch every entry because of the consistency of the whole system....

I observed my emotions while these days and learned a lot.
After being -370 in drawdown yesterday I felt some impatience and dissatisfaction and there was a temptation to trade more, what I did not...:D

At the moment my daily result is: -133pips, with 3 open shorttrades (perhaps four when eurjpy gives me an entry). When I write that I am +40pips in profit....

The daily result will change within the next hours...perhaps to my favor....all is possible:cheesy:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your nice words....:)

I am convinced to find a possibility to become more consistent with profx.
This week I will continue this system, perhaps I can recover from my result til now (-283pips), perhaps my loss will grow within the next 2 days.....

Another approach that I want to try out will be, not to chase such high pipamounts...perhaps I will try that next week.

I don't switch to demo, because the feelings and the behaviour will change completely.
All emotions and thoughts while live trading are very important to handle with....for that reason, I risk this money (I do all trades this week with 0.1 lots)...

Have a good time....

Lucca

Know what you mean about demo, but it's better than losing money.

Glad you're only trading minilots!!

When I first came across ProFX, I looked at using ATR for targets. Much smaller targets, but potentially, more consistent.

Keep us updated. Like I say, I admire you for sticking with this. Most people [myself included] ditched it when it started performing badly.

Your perseverance will surely be rewarded mate!! It certainly DESERVES to be!

Rob

Know what you mean about demo, but it's better than losing money.

Glad you're only trading minilots!!

When I first came across ProFX, I looked at using ATR for targets. Much smaller targets, but potentially, more consistent.

Keep us updated. Like I say, I admire you for sticking with this. Most people [myself included] ditched it when it started performing badly.

Your perseverance will surely be rewarded mate!! It certainly DESERVES to be!

Rob

Hi Guys,

Yes, over on the fxfisherman thread Alex from profx hasn't been live trading much over the last few weeks, it's as if he knows that the results may be mixed at the moment.

Just wish he would share the reasons why he stays away at certain times, would save everyone a few quid and enhance his system too.....very frustrating

Hi Guys,

Yes, over on the fxfisherman thread Alex from profx hasn't been live trading much over the last few weeks, it's as if he knows that the results may be mixed at the moment.

Just wish he would share the reasons why he stays away at certain times, would save everyone a few quid and enhance his system too.....very frustrating

Yes, I can see it on the forexeasystems.com performance page. There are no trades updated....

Anyway, everone has to find his own style, how to trade this system....for that reason, I don't wait on someone like Alex, if he set an order or not....
....but you are right, it would be nice when he would share of his knowledge....

I'm afraid that Alex's knowledge amounts to this:

1. He is a system seller.

2. His system works great in trends.

3. His system has no filter for chop.

4. So it doesn't work in choppy conditions.

5. He only trades it on demo.

6. He only shows winning trades.................

Harsh maybe, but whatever you say, I don't believe Alex trades this strategy day in day out.

Especially for the managed account he claims to run..........

If you can find a way to make it work for you, then great!

Wishing you all much success,

Rob

What moves today, great...and still running....

First in the morning I was -200 pips.....but then the big upmoves began.....and I could catch 353pips....:cheesy:

Todays result:

+153pips

There are 3 short trades running.

Attachments

• eurusd_17,6,10.jpg
    eurusd_17,6,10.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 324
  • gbpusd_17,6,10.jpg
    gbpusd_17,6,10.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 334
  • eurjpy_17,6,10.jpg
    eurjpy_17,6,10.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 454
  • gbpjpy_17,6,10.jpg
    gbpjpy_17,6,10.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2,037
Hi all....

The last day of this heavy week......

Todays result: -160pips

Weekly result: -439pips.......

After trading 5 days this strategy I must admit, that I am not very happy with this result....

I traded this week without guessing or thinking too much, that was great, that was a good feeling, sticking strictly with the rules....... but losing 400pips every week is not my target in trading....:eek:

I will analyze these trades, creating my cinemascope charts with the ideal entries and look, what entries I did......

after that I will decide how to continue next week.

Attachments

• eurusd_18,6,10.jpg
    eurusd_18,6,10.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 263
  • gbpusd_18,6,10.jpg
    gbpusd_18,6,10.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 338
  • eurjpy_18,6,10.jpg
    eurjpy_18,6,10.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,320
  • gbpjpy_18,6,10.jpg
    gbpjpy_18,6,10.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 287
Hi Lucca from a trading room I was in they refer to the next few months as the summer duldrums that will lead to many systems failing. Therefore you may see much more of this as this system works on momentum and if the momentum is not there then it will not work effectively, I wish you well though and will keep following your work thanks very much

Any idea what could be used as a filter for chop?

Well done Lucca nice to see you in profit.

I would ask the same question - does anyone have a response to the chop the market throws up regularly?

Given that MACD is generally used for momentum, or strength of the trend, and Stochastic Oscillator is generally used to indicate a CHANGE of Momentum then there may be a use for a combination of these two indicators, to assist with filtering signals.

I do not know or understand which of these ProFx has used in construction of the system, because the instructions are not clearly enunciated in the manual. I would like someone to list what the 7 ProFx indies are, and what their function is in relation to the signals given - for example we know that all of the indies need to be in agreement, but what are these indicators, and how much weight can we put on them, in order to have some understanding of the kind of trend that is likely to result from a signal?

If we can begin to answer some of these questions, then answers will come.

Personally I like to have a look at what the 15M and the 1H charts are also doing, before entry.

Some folks like to say that because the 4H trend is up, then that is the trend, and so we should be trading with the trend. ie only take LONG positions.

But that fails when the trend changes. Remember trend is set by tick data, and big trends must eventually give way to what the "rudder" - ie the smaller trend - is doing. It is all well and good to accept that once a strong trend is established, then the smaller trends are just 'noise" within the trend, but at some point, the "noise" will be listened to, and the higher TF trend will fail because of the constant pressure of price movement in the lower TF.

Big trends are built from small ones, but once established, small trends are swept along with big trends. "CHOP" is the result of indecision in the trends, as a battle goes on for dominance within trends.

Hope I explained that well enough - someone else might also have a view on this.

So, where is this going?

What we need to have in our tool-kit, is an indicator that tells us that uncertainty is creeping in, and the strength of the trends is no longer reliable.

For me, stochastic fits the bill, and MACD also has a role here.
But does ProFx already have such a filter?
If so, has such filter not been properly explained yet?

After all, ProFx 03 and 04 must have a greater role than we have been told about to this point. And I would like to hear how others have found the reliability of ProFx 05 and 06. A bit has been said about them on the Fisherman thread, but I think if we can explore these a little more diligently here, we may have a better way to filter the trades that simply can not give us our targets.

Failing that, I am loathe to begin adding other indicators, but if it has to be done, then possibly a Stochastic Oscillator, set at the appropriate period, would be my first choice.

Finally, I say to you Lucca, thank you for persevering with your stated aims. Although this week the method has not put surplus pips in your basket, at least you have been able to show what is happening in the lower TF, and the profitability of that.

Have you tried to operate in the 1H TF? I have not actively traded this TF myself, but looking through the charts, I find that a lot of chop is eliminated.
Larger SL needs to be used in the higher TF, which may translate to larger drawdown.

Great work here, and thank you to all contributors.

Best wishes

Ivan

Some very good comments here for anyone who trades systematically. The quotation from Mark Douglas was spot on. Normally our desire to push the limits and experience the thrill of risk serves us well - in fact most human accomplishment and the existence of civilisation depends upon it. Trading is almost the opposite - while we live with risk it rewards us for avoiding the motivation of excitement and adrenaline thus hopefully controlling that risk.

Which book of Douglas' did that come from? I did start reading Trading in the Zone once but didn't really like his writing style.

Some very good comments here for anyone who trades systematically. The quotation from Mark Douglas was spot on. Normally our desire to push the limits and experience the thrill of risk serves us well - in fact most human accomplishment and the existence of civilisation depends upon it. Trading is almost the opposite - while we live with risk it rewards us for avoiding the motivation of excitement and adrenaline thus hopefully controlling that risk.

Which book of Douglas' did that come from? I did start reading Trading in the Zone once but didn't really like his writing style.

Hi Bevok

Sorry - I do not know from which of Mark Douglas' books the quote comes, but I believe both of his best-known trading books are worth the read.

I have been trying to solve the issue of dealing with ranging market behaviour, and have found a very "general" rule on pages 18 and 19 of the Manual.

Rule: 7.3 says: Filter out Tight Ranges

"When the market is in a tight range, ignore upcoming entry signals, as long as the price doesn't leave the range.

"Enter the trade in the direction of the signal after a clear break of the range."

This raises the need for another definition ... what is a "range?"

Trading is always done from the hard right edge of the screen (to steal a phrase coined I believe by Alan Farley) and so it is not known that we may be entering a range at the time it happens. Only in hindsight will we become aware that we are in a sideways market.

Further, human nature (which works against traders) being what it is, will have us desiring to enter our trades at the earliest confirmed opportunity. And the only redeeming part of Rule 7.3 that I can see, is that it says:

"Enter ... after a clear break of the range".

Because of the risk of fake-outs and reversals, it is probably wiser to stand aside from trading, until we are clearly no longer range-bound. Of course, if traders wish to accept the risk of having stop-loss orders taken out, then by all means enter at these "clear breaks" of the range ... if it is possible to identify them. Sometimes, as has been seen recently, that may mean not trading for one or two weeks.

And it may mean missing a couple of trades, as the market resets itself.

From the Manual, the ProFx 03 and 04 "Measure the Trend and Strength."

So what we need to be seeing, is a clear and strong crossing of the zero line. If all we are seeing is a weak continual crossing of the zero line by the ProFx 03/04 then it is not a good setting to attempt to trade. The LENGTH of the histogram bars is significant, and is a firm indicator of the strength of the trend, as is the amount of time (or number of bars) for which the histogram remains under/above the zero line.

The attached chart illustrates this, but doesn't solve the problem of "how do we know we are entering this range consolidation?"

One of the things I believe traders need to do, is familiarise themselves a little more with the machinery of the system, before trying to seriously trade it. The indicators have been included for a very good reason - we need to know why.

Best wishes

Ivan

Attachments

• GBPUSD 30M.JPG
    GBPUSD 30M.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 251
I have constructed three charts with annotations, to show what can be done with the ProFx indicators that can help us.

IMPORTANT: WHEN SETTING UP THE OTHER TF, REMEMBER TO TURN ON "ALLOW DLL IMPORTS" FOUND UNDER THE "COMMON" TAB.

Unless you allow dll imports, the new ProFx07 window will NOT display.

But this is about as far as I can go without input from others who may have similar ideas about it. I am hoping what I have written here can stimulate some of you to see things that I may have missed, and thus improve how we use and succeed with this method.

In the first screen shot below, I have deleted all other indicator windows except the ProFx07. To this chart I have added the customised windows of ProFx07 in both 60M and 240M mode. I am uncertain whether we can view other TF - eg the 120M, but that's not important right now. The DAILY TF can be displayed in the ProFX07.

The idea behind this was to illustrate that while the 30M might be telling us to go Long / Short, in fact the other two TF may be doing the opposite, leading us into a whipsaw trap. We have already experienced many of these particularly in May, but June has also had its share of them.

Now before you go rushing off hoping we have found the filter that removes the whipsaw trades, I want you to consider what I discovered in the next screen shot. If you look closely (sorry for all the clutter on that chart) you will see that there are indeed conflicting signals with the ProFx07.

In the centre of the chart you can clearly see price moving up strongly, for 11 or 12 hours straight. Yet ProFx07 is telling us that for the first 3 of those hours, price should still be trending DOWN. In fact, price rallied by around 75 pips in those 3 hours. There is one thing different here - and that is that I constructed those indicators on a ONE hour chart.

When moving back to a 30M chart, the three sets of ProFx07 windows begin to make sense. If you set up this on your own charts, and zoom out a couple of clicks, you begin to gain another perspective.

What I have found by viewing the zoomed-out charts, is that when in the 30M charts, one should completely ignore anything ProFx07 is displaying in the 60M TF window, and pay attention to the 240M window.

When the 60M disagrees with the 30M, then it is HIGHLY likely that we have a range-bound market.

THIS IS THE MOST REVEALING DISCOVERY I MADE.

Further, when all 3 TF agree, then you possible have a trend that will quite easily yield at least 100 pips. There are still aberrations though, in the 30M TF. If you look at the period in the third chart, where price is falling, but ALL THREE ProFx07 TF ARE SIGNALLING A RALLY!!

This is clearly conflicting.

I am looking for someone with the interest now to validate my findings. So far I have only looked at the EURUSD.

While there appears to be some conflict, we must remember NOT to take any single indicator in isolation, so while I have yet to re-assemble the entire method, to see what the rest of the indicators are doing while the higher TF ProFx07 are revealing their trends, we can not reach any conclusions.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards

Ivan

Attachments

• Customising ProFx07.JPG
    Customising ProFx07.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 246
  • ProFx07 3TF.JPG
    ProFx07 3TF.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 297
  • ProFx07 in 30M with 3 TF.JPG
    ProFx07 in 30M with 3 TF.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 234
I would ask the same question - does anyone have a response to the chop the market throws up regularly?

Given that MACD is generally used for momentum, or strength of the trend, and Stochastic Oscillator is generally used to indicate a CHANGE of Momentum then there may be a use for a combination of these two indicators, to assist with filtering signals.

I do not know or understand which of these ProFx has used in construction of the system, because the instructions are not clearly enunciated in the manual. I would like someone to list what the 7 ProFx indies are, and what their function is in relation to the signals given - for example we know that all of the indies need to be in agreement, but what are these indicators, and how much weight can we put on them, in order to have some understanding of the kind of trend that is likely to result from a signal?

If we can begin to answer some of these questions, then answers will come.

Personally I like to have a look at what the 15M and the 1H charts are also doing, before entry.

Some folks like to say that because the 4H trend is up, then that is the trend, and so we should be trading with the trend. ie only take LONG positions.

But that fails when the trend changes. Remember trend is set by tick data, and big trends must eventually give way to what the "rudder" - ie the smaller trend - is doing. It is all well and good to accept that once a strong trend is established, then the smaller trends are just 'noise" within the trend, but at some point, the "noise" will be listened to, and the higher TF trend will fail because of the constant pressure of price movement in the lower TF.

Big trends are built from small ones, but once established, small trends are swept along with big trends. "CHOP" is the result of indecision in the trends, as a battle goes on for dominance within trends.

Hope I explained that well enough - someone else might also have a view on this.

So, where is this going?

What we need to have in our tool-kit, is an indicator that tells us that uncertainty is creeping in, and the strength of the trends is no longer reliable.

For me, stochastic fits the bill, and MACD also has a role here.
But does ProFx already have such a filter?
If so, has such filter not been properly explained yet?

After all, ProFx 03 and 04 must have a greater role than we have been told about to this point. And I would like to hear how others have found the reliability of ProFx 05 and 06. A bit has been said about them on the Fisherman thread, but I think if we can explore these a little more diligently here, we may have a better way to filter the trades that simply can not give us our targets.

Failing that, I am loathe to begin adding other indicators, but if it has to be done, then possibly a Stochastic Oscillator, set at the appropriate period, would be my first choice.

Finally, I say to you Lucca, thank you for persevering with your stated aims. Although this week the method has not put surplus pips in your basket, at least you have been able to show what is happening in the lower TF, and the profitability of that.

Have you tried to operate in the 1H TF? I have not actively traded this TF myself, but looking through the charts, I find that a lot of chop is eliminated.
Larger SL needs to be used in the higher TF, which may translate to larger drawdown.

Great work here, and thank you to all contributors.

Best wishes

Ivan

Your question "How to avoid chop?"

I have found Bollinger Band Channels help me.....I said "help"--- not that it solves all my problems. I use a deep average, anything over 35 and deviations of over 2.5. What average is used is a matter of preference and everyone's choice is as good as anyone else's except that, as we should all know at this stage, small averages jump around and are more difficult to assess.

As soon as the bands turn inwards, a chop is on the cards.

Your question "How to avoid chop?"

I have found Bollinger Band Channels help me.....I said "help"--- not that it solves all my problems. I use a deep average, anything over 35 and deviations of over 2.5. What average is used is a matter of preference and everyone's choice is as good as anyone else's except that, as we should all know at this stage, small averages jump around and are more difficult to assess.

As soon as the bands turn inwards, a chop is on the cards.

Thanks for your suggestion with bollingerbands....I am not really sure if it helps me to awoid bad entries...because in principle all indicators lag and are always behind the price action....but when the bands help you, great...

My target for the next week is totally different from the last week.
Last week I traded blindly the M15 strategy without guessing. This week I do that:

- trading only 1 pair, eurusd
- daily target +20pips
- using profx M1, M5
- using small stoplosses (20pips)
- try to catch the target with 1 or 2 trades per day

I will go on posting my results.

Good luck to all.

Thanks for your suggestion with bollingerbands....I am not really sure if it helps me to awoid bad entries...because in principle all indicators lag and are always behind the price action....but when the bands help you, great...

My target for the next week is totally different from the last week.
Last week I traded blindly the M15 strategy without guessing. This week I do that:

- trading only 1 pair, eurusd
- daily target +20pips
- using profx M1, M5
- using small stoplosses (20pips)
- try to catch the target with 1 or 2 trades per day

I will go on posting my results.

Good luck to all.

I agree with you about indicators lagging but does that argument apply to Bollingers? The Bollinger reading tells you that the price is overbought or oversold according to the previous "X" number of bars that interest you, ie. the average. If the price says 2.5 deviations, then it is overbought and if the trend is down is that not a good signal?

I've always kept an open mind about Bollingers. I'm not sure about them regards whether the "lagging" argument applies.

I agree with you about indicators lagging but does that argument apply to Bollingers? The Bollinger reading tells you that the price is overbought or oversold according to the previous "X" number of bars that interest you, ie. the average. If the price says 2.5 deviations, then it is overbought and if the trend is down is that not a good signal?

I've always kept an open mind about Bollingers. I'm not sure about them regards whether the "lagging" argument applies.

Hi Spitlink,

To be honest, I never used bollinger bands and don't know much about reading them.

For the moment I stay with this weeks strategy, as less as possible trades, everyday +20pips.

Todays target of +20pips I got with 2 trades and finished looking at the charts.

Hi Spitlink,

To be honest, I never used bollinger bands and don't know much about reading them.

For the moment I stay with this weeks strategy, as less as possible trades, everyday +20pips.

Todays target of +20pips I got with 2 trades and finished looking at the charts.

That says it all! :) You don't need Bollingers, so why use them?

Good trading

Status
Not open for further replies.