Graphics card help

I was aware of the static so took precautions by touching a grounded metal object (my desk leg.)

Before I mess about with gfx cards again I'll pick up a anti-static strap.

Eyefinity 6 it'll have to be be then. Hopefully Amazon can get it to me tomorrow.

EDIT- Wtf, looks like Amazon sold the last one they had in stock just yesterday. If it ain't your day, it ain't your day.

I was aware of the static so took precautions by touching a grounded metal object (my desk leg.)

Eyefinity 6 it'll have to be be then. Hopefully Amazon can get it to me tomorrow.

Hmmm, desk leg may have been problem, chances are its got rubber / plastic feet
or on carpet / wood.

I have to be honest, unless I'm doing something major, I don't always
use a strap, just leave PC mains cord plugged in to wall with power switch off.
As long as you handle the card by the edges only and avoid any contact with
solder joints, gold slot contacts and components, should be OK.

EDIT- Wtf, looks like Amazon sold the last one they had in stock just yesterday. If it ain't your day, it ain't your day.

Out of stock for GFX card yeah?
Try dabs or maplin, they are good:
Dabs

Maplin Electronics

Hmmm, desk leg may have been problem, chances are its got rubber / plastic feet
or on carpet / wood.

I have to be honest, unless I'm doing something major, I don't always
use a strap, just leave PC mains cord plugged in to wall with power switch off.
As long as you handle the card by the edges only and avoid any contact with
solder joints, gold slot contacts and components, should be OK.

Touching the power supply with bear hands should also ensure you and the PC are at same level.

In the old days it was recommended to unplug the power lead from the power supply as some boards still have power flowing through them. Although, I seldom do this my self.

It is usually memory chips and CPU's that are most likely to be effected by electrostatic. As most graphics card now have on board CPU and Gbs of memory onboard they are very susceptible to static discharge too.

Also - ...

Don't press the boards too hard down on to the mother board
Don't tighten screws too much - if you have any. Thumb pressure is sufficient.

An anti-static card is on it's way.

Meh, I just cannot manage with two monitors, looks like I'll be starting next week that way though. I'm finishing early today because I can feel my Friday buzz slipping away with this crap.

I'm even lucky to have two working. The couple of extra monitors I bought a few weeks ago happened to be display port only, the rest are DVI/VGA. The dual gfx card I have only accepts display port, so had I not gone that unusual route I would have nothing:LOL:

fff.jpg

So I wake up this morning ready for another day's work, turn on my computer, enter the password, the familar Windows XP music plays. But before it can finish I get a 'de de de de de de de de de' sound followed by an automatic restart of the system.

Oh dear.

5 mins on google with an error code, suggests it may be the video card. Sure enough, after I replace it with one of my dual cards everything is fine.

So, I wanted to go from four to six monitors, but instead not only did I not get six, I ended up with just two:LOL:

I guess that's what can happen when you screw about with your hardware too much.

I take the computer apart to fit my Eyefinty 6 and think to myself that it's worth just testing the old 4 monitor ATi again. Just incase.

What would you know. It works.

Maybe it wasn't fitted correctly before? Bit of dust in the slot? Who knows, but I'm a few quid better off now because I can stick it on Ebay. Result.

Regarding fitting the Eyefinity : I have my anti static strap. It's connecting to the mains (with power off.) My PSU is good at a rating 2x required by this new card (which has it's own power supply cable.) I've already been down the 'blow up your PSU with a Gfx card that demands too much of it' route. So, hopefully no static calamities here.

Last edited:
For the love of all things holy.

Eyefinity installed with 2x monitors attached. Nothing is displayed on the monitors and there is a loud, continuous beeping sound. Only 1 power cable was connected to the card, two was 'recommended.' I'm back on the 4 monitor card now, everything is working ok.

Any input? Obviously I'm also searching Google. I discovered that this can happen if the card is not connected to a power supply, but I have one connected which should be enough. I guess I'll get online and order a splitter for starters so I can try two.

Jesus, not having much luck :eek:

Sounds like a BIOS beep code, post you BIOS vendor and version,
or google it yourself.
Usually though BIOS beep codes are for something pretty major,
but not necessarily game over for the hardware.

1. Extra power supply lead connected to GFX card OK?
2. PSU rating in watts, I'd guess 600W minimum needed for that, preferably 1000W to be sure.
3. Card seated properly, no obstructions? (case braces, badly sited MOBO components
with oversize card).
4. Dislodged any other components?
5. Too much force when seating card into slot?

Cheers. I'm gonna check that stuff after a beer and Hollyoaks:LOL:

This stuff is frustrating.

Yeah can be a PITA for sure, take it slow and methodical.
Think through every step of what you have done so far.
See if it jogs the memory, something you forgot, or didn't do.

Hollyoaks was rubbish.

1. Extra power supply lead connected to GFX card OK?
2. PSU rating in watts, I'd guess 600W minimum needed for that, preferably 1000W to be sure.
3. Card seated properly, no obstructions? (case braces, badly sited MOBO components
with oversize card).
4. Dislodged any other components?
5. Too much force when seating card into slot?

Power cable fitted correctly. No reason for it to be faulty, the rest of it works ok. Not tested it though, how would I go about that?

PSU is 800w. Recommended 500w+ but this is a gaming card, I'm just running the likes of NT etc.

Card seated properly.

Don't think I've dislodged anything else, other card works fine ( although it would be easy to when you're fitting a breeze block into your PC.)

Not too much force.

I've tried it without the power cable and switched the display ports around. Same deal.

The card is used, therefore the chances it was DOA are higher. I was going to go new, but that Friday I tried and failed with my PCie x 1 slot, it came up on Ebay and I got it cheap, cheap, cheap.

Last edited:
Jesus, not having much luck :eek:

Sounds like a BIOS beep code, post you BIOS vendor and version,
or google it yourself.
Usually though BIOS beep codes are for something pretty major,
but not necessarily game over for the hardware.

Will Google that, not sure what you mean.

The 'beep' is high pitched, loud and continuous. Absolutely no pauses.

It's the type of sound that makes you want to cover your ears and shout 'please make it stop.' If I wanted to extract a confession from someone, I would use this PC with the eyefinity fitted.

Power cable fitted correctly. No reason for it to be faulty, the rest of it works ok. Not tested it though, how would I go about that?
Easiest - find any other component that the connector fits.
Usually 4 pin molex, probably another GFX card to test the lead.

PSU is 800w. Recommended 500w+ but this is a gaming card, I'm just running the likes of NT etc.
PSU sounds OK

Card seated properly.

Don't think I've dislodged anything else, other card works fine ( although it would be easy to when you're fitting a breeze block into your PC.)
Check memory sticks still seated OK?

Not too much force.

I've tried it without the power cable and switched the display ports around. Same deal.

The card is used, therefore the chances it was DOA are higher. I was going to go new, but that Friday I tried and failed with my PCie x 1 slot, it came up on Ebay and I got it cheap, cheap, cheap.
Used may be the problem...

What is your BIOS and version number:
List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 1
The beep codes for your BIOS would be the next step.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Actually thinking of it, some continuous beep codes can indicate no power, loose card or a short.
Dodgy power lead broken internally?

Will Google that, not sure what you mean.

The 'beep' is high pitched, loud and continuous. Absolutely no pauses.

It's the type of sound that makes you want to cover your ears and shout 'please make it stop.' If I wanted to extract a confession from someone, I would use this PC with the eyefinity fitted.

Could be memory chips too. Sometimes they pop-out and need reseating.

You need to count the number of beebs to identify fault; memory, graphics or else etc.

Try this:

1. Take out graphics card and power on without any see how many beebs you get.
2. Take out simm chips and do likewise.

Count the beebs.

Good luck...

What is your BIOS and version number:
List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 1
The beep codes for your BIOS would be the next step.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Actually thinking of it, some continuous beep codes can indicate no power, loose card or a short.
Dodgy power lead broken internally?

Oh yeah, had no other components/ cards to test the power cable with otherwise would have done that. My brother is a electrician/ instrument mechanic so he'll have some gizmo to test it I assume.

Memory seated fine.

BIOS is Phoenix. ACPIC Rev 0303, 1/10/2008. SMBIOS version 2.5. I'm looking now and it doesn't say anything about a continuous beep?

I have to things to check now though. The card with 2x power cables when I receive the extra one and that the existing single cable is good.

Could be memory chips too. Sometimes they pop-out and need reseating.

You need to count the number of beebs to identify fault; memory, graphics or else etc.

Try this:

1. Take out graphics card and power on without any see how many beebs you get.
2. Take out simm chips and do likewise.

Count the beebs.

Good luck...

It's only with this card that I get the continuous beep. It doesn't do it with any other card, or with none at all. It must be an issue specific to the fitting of the eyefinity. Either the card itself or a power issue?

Meanwhile, should probably email the guy I purchased this from and tell him not to spend that money I sent. Might be needing that back if it's his card that's the issue:LOL:

At least through all this I discovered my 4 monitor ATi is not indeed broken. Four is better than the two I've suffered for 10 days.

Oh yeah, had no other components/ cards to test the power cable with otherwise would have done that. My brother is a electrician/ instrument mechanic so he'll have some gizmo to test it I assume.

Memory seated fine.

BIOS is Phoenix. ACPIC Rev 0303, 1/10/2008. SMBIOS version 2.5. I'm looking now and it doesn't say anything about a continuous beep?

I have to things to check now though. The card with 2x power cables when I receive the extra one and that the existing single cable is good.

Phoenix continuous beep:
PhoenixBIOS Beep Codes

Other Phoenix beep codes:
Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes - BIOS Central

Power lead, yeah sounds like your brother will have a multimeter,
simple continuity check is all thats needed.

TBH though, no problems apart from when the new card is in, probably duff card.

Checked Google for the Phoenix continuous beep, including those you posted, and it seems there is no official explanation for what it may mean.

If the multimeter test passes and the 2 x power cable option fails, I'll buy another card. If that then works I'll know the original was junk. If it doesn't then I will be even deeper in the sh*t.

I'll check back in later this week when I have the new part. Thanks for the help.

Checked Google for the Phoenix continuous beep, including those you posted, and it seems there is no official explanation for what it may mean.

If the multimeter test passes and the 2 x power cable option fails, I'll buy another card. If that then works I'll know the original was junk. If it doesn't then I will be even deeper in the sh*t.

I'll check back in later this week when I have the new part. Thanks for the help.

The PC does boot up with video display using one of your own older GFX cards yes?
I was under the impression that is the case, if so, the new card is
the most likely cause.

If the PC won't boot with video using an older card, I would hold off
buying another GFX card until you know if the MOBO or CPU have
been trashed somehow.