Graphics card help

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Cheers. I'm gonna check that stuff after a beer and Hollyoaks:LOL:

This stuff is frustrating.
Yeah can be a PITA for sure, take it slow and methodical.
Think through every step of what you have done so far.
See if it jogs the memory, something you forgot, or didn't do.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
Hollyoaks was rubbish.

1. Extra power supply lead connected to GFX card OK?
2. PSU rating in watts, I'd guess 600W minimum needed for that, preferably 1000W to be sure.
3. Card seated properly, no obstructions? (case braces, badly sited MOBO components
with oversize card).
4. Dislodged any other components?
5. Too much force when seating card into slot?
Power cable fitted correctly. No reason for it to be faulty, the rest of it works ok. Not tested it though, how would I go about that?

PSU is 800w. Recommended 500w+ but this is a gaming card, I'm just running the likes of NT etc.

Card seated properly.

Don't think I've dislodged anything else, other card works fine ( although it would be easy to when you're fitting a breeze block into your PC.)

Not too much force.

I've tried it without the power cable and switched the display ports around. Same deal.

The card is used, therefore the chances it was DOA are higher. I was going to go new, but that Friday I tried and failed with my PCie x 1 slot, it came up on Ebay and I got it cheap, cheap, cheap.

Last edited:

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
Jesus, not having much luck :eek:

Sounds like a BIOS beep code, post you BIOS vendor and version,
or google it yourself.
Usually though BIOS beep codes are for something pretty major,
but not necessarily game over for the hardware.
Will Google that, not sure what you mean.

The 'beep' is high pitched, loud and continuous. Absolutely no pauses.

It's the type of sound that makes you want to cover your ears and shout 'please make it stop.' If I wanted to extract a confession from someone, I would use this PC with the eyefinity fitted.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Power cable fitted correctly. No reason for it to be faulty, the rest of it works ok. Not tested it though, how would I go about that?
Easiest - find any other component that the connector fits.
Usually 4 pin molex, probably another GFX card to test the lead.

PSU is 800w. Recommended 500w+ but this is a gaming card, I'm just running the likes of NT etc.
PSU sounds OK

Card seated properly.

Don't think I've dislodged anything else, other card works fine ( although it would be easy to when you're fitting a breeze block into your PC.)
Check memory sticks still seated OK?

Not too much force.

I've tried it without the power cable and switched the display ports around. Same deal.

The card is used, therefore the chances it was DOA are higher. I was going to go new, but that Friday I tried and failed with my PCie x 1 slot, it came up on Ebay and I got it cheap, cheap, cheap.
Used may be the problem...
What is your BIOS and version number:
List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 1
The beep codes for your BIOS would be the next step.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Actually thinking of it, some continuous beep codes can indicate no power, loose card or a short.
Dodgy power lead broken internally?

Atilla

Legendary member
19,033 2,677
Will Google that, not sure what you mean.

The 'beep' is high pitched, loud and continuous. Absolutely no pauses.

It's the type of sound that makes you want to cover your ears and shout 'please make it stop.' If I wanted to extract a confession from someone, I would use this PC with the eyefinity fitted.
Could be memory chips too. Sometimes they pop-out and need reseating.

You need to count the number of beebs to identify fault; memory, graphics or else etc.

Try this:

1. Take out graphics card and power on without any see how many beebs you get.
2. Take out simm chips and do likewise.

Count the beebs.

Good luck...

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
What is your BIOS and version number:
List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 1
The beep codes for your BIOS would be the next step.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Actually thinking of it, some continuous beep codes can indicate no power, loose card or a short.
Dodgy power lead broken internally?
Oh yeah, had no other components/ cards to test the power cable with otherwise would have done that. My brother is a electrician/ instrument mechanic so he'll have some gizmo to test it I assume.

Memory seated fine.

BIOS is Phoenix. ACPIC Rev 0303, 1/10/2008. SMBIOS version 2.5. I'm looking now and it doesn't say anything about a continuous beep?

I have to things to check now though. The card with 2x power cables when I receive the extra one and that the existing single cable is good.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
Could be memory chips too. Sometimes they pop-out and need reseating.

You need to count the number of beebs to identify fault; memory, graphics or else etc.

Try this:

1. Take out graphics card and power on without any see how many beebs you get.
2. Take out simm chips and do likewise.

Count the beebs.

Good luck...
It's only with this card that I get the continuous beep. It doesn't do it with any other card, or with none at all. It must be an issue specific to the fitting of the eyefinity. Either the card itself or a power issue?

Meanwhile, should probably email the guy I purchased this from and tell him not to spend that money I sent. Might be needing that back if it's his card that's the issue:LOL:

At least through all this I discovered my 4 monitor ATi is not indeed broken. Four is better than the two I've suffered for 10 days.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Oh yeah, had no other components/ cards to test the power cable with otherwise would have done that. My brother is a electrician/ instrument mechanic so he'll have some gizmo to test it I assume.

Memory seated fine.

BIOS is Phoenix. ACPIC Rev 0303, 1/10/2008. SMBIOS version 2.5. I'm looking now and it doesn't say anything about a continuous beep?

I have to things to check now though. The card with 2x power cables when I receive the extra one and that the existing single cable is good.
Phoenix continuous beep:
PhoenixBIOS Beep Codes

Other Phoenix beep codes:
Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes - BIOS Central

Power lead, yeah sounds like your brother will have a multimeter,
simple continuity check is all thats needed.

TBH though, no problems apart from when the new card is in, probably duff card.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
Checked Google for the Phoenix continuous beep, including those you posted, and it seems there is no official explanation for what it may mean.

If the multimeter test passes and the 2 x power cable option fails, I'll buy another card. If that then works I'll know the original was junk. If it doesn't then I will be even deeper in the sh*t.

I'll check back in later this week when I have the new part. Thanks for the help.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Checked Google for the Phoenix continuous beep, including those you posted, and it seems there is no official explanation for what it may mean.

If the multimeter test passes and the 2 x power cable option fails, I'll buy another card. If that then works I'll know the original was junk. If it doesn't then I will be even deeper in the sh*t.

I'll check back in later this week when I have the new part. Thanks for the help.
The PC does boot up with video display using one of your own older GFX cards yes?
I was under the impression that is the case, if so, the new card is
the most likely cause.

If the PC won't boot with video using an older card, I would hold off
buying another GFX card until you know if the MOBO or CPU have
been trashed somehow.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
The PC does boot up with video display using one of your own older GFX cards yes?
I was under the impression that is the case, if so, the new card is
the most likely cause.

If the PC won't boot with video using an older card, I would hold off
buying another GFX card until you know if the MOBO or CPU have
been trashed somehow.
Oh yeah, both of them work.

I got the impression from the seller that this wasn't a card he had used personally. If that's the case he likely had no idea it was done for, if indeed it is.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Oh yeah, both of them work.

I got the impression from the seller that this wasn't a card he had used personally. If that's the case he likely had no idea it was done for, if indeed it is.
OK, should be fine getting a new GFX card then, maybe brand new to be sure?
BTW - always check the anti static bag before opening new card, look for damaged
or broken off components - I had that once, capacitor loose in bag, card knackered...

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
OK, should be fine getting a new GFX card then, maybe brand new to be sure?
BTW - always check the anti static bag before opening new card, look for damaged
or broken off components - I had that once, capacitor loose in bag, card knackered...
May aswell, if it turns out to be this card it would've been worth the extra few hundred or so to go new in the first place. I've learned some new stuff though, which may include : don't be a tight ass.

WR1

206 9
you could always buy one of these as a stop gap
Matrox MGA G200 G2QUADPPL 32 MB SGRAM PCI Graphics adapter 0790750107288 | eBay

used to be industry standard - i have a few and have worked flawlessly for a number of yrs

i had the more expensive and noisy G450s and there was no difference, so kept the G200s and sold the G450s
picked one up for £8 once - possibly the best £8 ever spent!

best used with XP
but there are drivers for Vista that are supposed to also work with Win 7
just have to google for the G450 divers and Win 7 and someone has covered it in a blog
might be useful for someone anyhow

Last edited:

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
you could always buy one of these as a stop gap
Matrox MGA G200 G2QUADPPL 32 MB SGRAM PCI Graphics adapter 0790750107288 | eBay

used to be industry standard - i have a few and have worked flawlessly for a number of yrs

i had the more expensive and noisy G450s and there was no difference, so kept the G200s and sold the G450s
picked one up for £8 once - possibly the best £8 ever spent!

best used with XP
but there are drivers for Vista that are supposed to also work with Win 7
just have to google for the G450 divers and Win 7 and someone has covered it in a blog
might be useful for someone anyhow
These graphic card shenanigans have broken me, so i'm going easy (and more expensive) street. Are you saying they can be used with existing pcie cards though, or is it one type or the other?