Graphics card help

L

Liquid validity

0 0
sometimes or often cards of different manufacturers just wont work together
because of the drivers and assume down the same slot types
Very true, YANF says they are all ATI though, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Unless drivers are different builds...
Could try using the same driver.

WR1

206 9
might worth a try using the same drivers, but most cards seem to be extremely picky

also a USB - DVI adapter box will normally work ok for one extra screen possibly two - but some also have problems when you add a few more
i have some on special offer if any one wants a few :)

a dedicated card or two are best

the weathers far too nice to pulling cards in and out
and that may actually cause more harm than good

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
Cheers for the ongoing help chaps.

I thin i'm right in saying that pcie 1 cards can be used in the x16 slot. If so, my x1-x16 adapter is junk. I stuck it in the pciex16 slot with one of the cards.....and nothing.

Liquid

I disabled hardware acceleration.....no luck. I've checked the device manager with each configuration, and all it has shown is whatever gfx card is in the x 16 slot. No exclamation marks etc. I've had PCie selected as the primary in the BIOS.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
So I wake up this morning ready for another day's work, turn on my computer, enter the password, the familar Windows XP music plays. But before it can finish I get a 'de de de de de de de de de' sound followed by an automatic restart of the system.

Oh dear.

5 mins on google with an error code, suggests it may be the video card. Sure enough, after I replace it with one of my dual cards everything is fine.

So, I wanted to go from four to six monitors, but instead not only did I not get six, I ended up with just two:LOL:

I guess that's what can happen when you screw about with your hardware too much.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
So I wake up this morning ready for another day's work, turn on my computer, enter the password, the familar Windows XP music plays. But before it can finish I get a 'de de de de de de de de de' sound followed by an automatic restart of the system.

Oh dear.

5 mins on google with an error code, suggests it may be the video card. Sure enough, after I replace it with one of my dual cards everything is fine.

So, I wanted to go from four to six monitors, but instead not only did I not get six, I ended up with just two:LOL:

Nevermind. It was an ATI 2450, £250 new, but I got mine for £40 brand new and sealed on ebay so no loss.

I guess that's what can happen when you **** about with your hardware too much.
Did you wear an anti static strap or at least have the case plugged into
wall (mains wall socket switch off...)?
Could be static fried it...

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
I was aware of the static so took precautions by touching a grounded metal object (my desk leg.)

Before I mess about with gfx cards again I'll pick up a anti-static strap.

Eyefinity 6 it'll have to be be then. Hopefully Amazon can get it to me tomorrow.

EDIT- Wtf, looks like Amazon sold the last one they had in stock just yesterday. If it ain't your day, it ain't your day.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
I was aware of the static so took precautions by touching a grounded metal object (my desk leg.)

Eyefinity 6 it'll have to be be then. Hopefully Amazon can get it to me tomorrow.
Hmmm, desk leg may have been problem, chances are its got rubber / plastic feet
or on carpet / wood.

I have to be honest, unless I'm doing something major, I don't always
use a strap, just leave PC mains cord plugged in to wall with power switch off.
As long as you handle the card by the edges only and avoid any contact with
solder joints, gold slot contacts and components, should be OK.

L

Liquid validity

0 0

EDIT- Wtf, looks like Amazon sold the last one they had in stock just yesterday. If it ain't your day, it ain't your day.
Out of stock for GFX card yeah?
Try dabs or maplin, they are good:
Dabs

Maplin Electronics

Atilla

Legendary member
19,037 2,678
Hmmm, desk leg may have been problem, chances are its got rubber / plastic feet
or on carpet / wood.

I have to be honest, unless I'm doing something major, I don't always
use a strap, just leave PC mains cord plugged in to wall with power switch off.
As long as you handle the card by the edges only and avoid any contact with
solder joints, gold slot contacts and components, should be OK.

Touching the power supply with bear hands should also ensure you and the PC are at same level.

In the old days it was recommended to unplug the power lead from the power supply as some boards still have power flowing through them. Although, I seldom do this my self.

It is usually memory chips and CPU's that are most likely to be effected by electrostatic. As most graphics card now have on board CPU and Gbs of memory onboard they are very susceptible to static discharge too.

Also - ...

Don't press the boards too hard down on to the mother board
Don't tighten screws too much - if you have any. Thumb pressure is sufficient.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
An anti-static card is on it's way.

Meh, I just cannot manage with two monitors, looks like I'll be starting next week that way though. I'm finishing early today because I can feel my Friday buzz slipping away with this crap.

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
I'm even lucky to have two working. The couple of extra monitors I bought a few weeks ago happened to be display port only, the rest are DVI/VGA. The dual gfx card I have only accepts display port, so had I not gone that unusual route I would have nothing:LOL:

fff.jpg

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225

Oh dear.

I guess that's what can happen when you screw about with your hardware too much.
I take the computer apart to fit my Eyefinty 6 and think to myself that it's worth just testing the old 4 monitor ATi again. Just incase.

What would you know. It works.

Maybe it wasn't fitted correctly before? Bit of dust in the slot? Who knows, but I'm a few quid better off now because I can stick it on Ebay. Result.

Regarding fitting the Eyefinity : I have my anti static strap. It's connecting to the mains (with power off.) My PSU is good at a rating 2x required by this new card (which has it's own power supply cable.) I've already been down the 'blow up your PSU with a Gfx card that demands too much of it' route. So, hopefully no static calamities here.

Last edited:

YouAreNotFree

Experienced member
1,295 225
For the love of all things holy.

Eyefinity installed with 2x monitors attached. Nothing is displayed on the monitors and there is a loud, continuous beeping sound. Only 1 power cable was connected to the card, two was 'recommended.' I'm back on the 4 monitor card now, everything is working ok.

Any input? Obviously I'm also searching Google. I discovered that this can happen if the card is not connected to a power supply, but I have one connected which should be enough. I guess I'll get online and order a splitter for starters so I can try two.

L

Liquid validity

0 0
Jesus, not having much luck :eek:

Sounds like a BIOS beep code, post you BIOS vendor and version,
or google it yourself.
Usually though BIOS beep codes are for something pretty major,
but not necessarily game over for the hardware.

1. Extra power supply lead connected to GFX card OK?
2. PSU rating in watts, I'd guess 600W minimum needed for that, preferably 1000W to be sure.
3. Card seated properly, no obstructions? (case braces, badly sited MOBO components
with oversize card).
4. Dislodged any other components?
5. Too much force when seating card into slot?