Geopolitics and the Consequences

Signalcalc

Veteren member
Due to popular demand and because there is no appropriate thread for interesting Geopolitical discussion.

It's all going Pete Tong o_Oo_O

Good idea SC,

I used to follow international developments very closely but spend less time now as apathy takes over.

Well worth following though especially for trading gold oil and currencies.

Sell the dollar buy the euro 😁

Good idea SC,

I used to follow international developments very closely but spend less time now as apathy takes over.

Well worth following though especially for trading gold oil and currencies.

Sell the dollar buy the euro 😁

Lets see if some of these speculations come true.

The latest stupid idea is to send a British aircraft carrier to the South China Sea. Probably at the request of US forces.
About as provocative as having Chinese warships in the Channel !!
Somebody ought to mention to Mrs Useless that Britain is no longer the strategic power it once was.

The latest stupid idea is to send a British aircraft carrier to the South China Sea. Probably at the request of US forces.
About as provocative as having Chinese warships in the Channel !!
Somebody ought to mention to Mrs Useless that Britain is no longer the strategic power it once was.

Absolootly right Pat...though imo, constructing military bases on uninhabited atolls in disputed waters a few miles off the coast of just one of the claimants and a thousand or so away from one's own sends a very clear message: Put up or Shut Up.

So which course of action do you favour? Shutting up?..or perhaps just leaving it in the hands of our our American cousins and that beacon of international diplomacy, Donald Trump....meanwhile: Huawei.

Map of the area for context:
Spratly_Islands.png

International claims etc:

The Chinese leadership should have studied history.
They are making the classic mistake of nearly every Empire.
And what is that you may ask ?
They are over expanding while things are going their way.
Circumstances can rapidly change leaving a vacuum inside the big Empire.
Implosion caused by external and internal forces is the inevitable result.

It’s a disturbing enough news item, but does the lack of condemnation from international governments tell us any about the geopolitics at play?

Five 'terrorists' beheaded by Saudi Arabia were gay, say confessions

Absolootly right Pat...though imo, constructing military bases on uninhabited atolls in disputed waters a few miles off the coast of just one of the claimants and a thousand or so away from one's own sends a very clear message: Put up or Shut Up.

So which course of action do you favour? Shutting up?..or perhaps just leaving it in the hands of our our American cousins and that beacon of international diplomacy, Donald Trump....meanwhile: Huawei.

Map of the area for context:
View attachment 262151

International claims etc:

Out of curiousity, how do you perceive the status of the Falkland Islands?

It’s a disturbing enough news item, but does the lack of condemnation from international governments tell us any about the geopolitics at play?

Five 'terrorists' beheaded by Saudi Arabia were gay, say confessions

Sounds like they are demonstrating support to the Sultan of Brunie to me. Saudis can say and do whatever they like coz they can afford to do so. Money trumps principals. :devilish:

Sounds like they are demonstrating support to the Sultan of Brunie to me. Saudis can say and do whatever they like coz they can afford to do so. Money trumps principals. :devilish:
Without principals any group becomes no better than a gang of thieves and murderers

Out of curiousity, how do you perceive the status of the Falkland Islands?

Different. The Falklands are inhabited and the Spratlys not. No doubt the Kelpers keep the flame for the Empire but they're not part of a plan to change the balance of power in Latin America.... and unless I'm much mistaken there's been little Chinese style of tourism installations - examples of which below:

f-spratlys-a-20170701-870x720.jpgFiery-Cross-reef-China-reclamation-harbor-South-China-Sea.jpeg1920.jpg

Mind you, Falkand Islanders are a force to be reckoned with and woe betide anyone who gets in their way:

Falkland_Islanders.jpeg

Without principals any group becomes no better than a gang of thieves and murderers

...so, that would be principals without principles?...or that they lack leadership...and principles as well?:unsure:

Even better, we sell them the knives to carve up their enemies with. We get to keep clean hands and fill our pockets.
Different. The Falklands are inhabited and the Spratlys not. No doubt the Kelpers keep the flame for the Empire but they're not part of a plan to change the balance of power in Latin America.... and unless I'm much mistaken there's been little Chinese style of tourism installations - examples of which below:

View attachment 262177View attachment 262178View attachment 262179

Mind you, Falkand Islanders are a force to be reckoned with and woe betide anyone who gets in their way:

View attachment 262180

Well maybe in another 200 years people will be writing how the Chinese gained full ownership of the Islands at the turn of the 2nd millennium and place may get turned into a museum, assuming of course it doesn't lie 50 ft below sea level by then.

Perhaps there is more similarity with the island of Mururoa which happens to be out in the middle of nowhere but now clearly belongs to the French.

I think its a bit of a game really. It's ok to go and plunder far away lands as long as one can hold onto it for a couple of hundred years and then it sort of belongs to victorious conquerer in all glory, until a bigger force comes along and takes it off the other.

If habitants are the stumbling block then that begs the question who Australia belongs to or US of A for that matter?

I guess China is a little late for this game of colonising the World. Nevertheless one must try.