Best Thread FXCM Discussion

How to See Tick Volume on Trading Station Charts

Since trading on the forex market is not centralized, the actual volume of currency being traded at any given moment is unknown. Tick Volume measures how frequently the price changes in a given time interval and uses that as a proxy for true volume.

The idea behind this is that prices will tend to change more rapidly during periods when more people are trading. To see the tick volume on your Trading Station charts, right click on the chart and then select Show Tick Volume in the menu that appears.

86982d1304938878-market-scope-charts-faq-shot1.png

You will then see the Tick Volume appear as a bar graph below the main chart frame.

86983d1304938994tmarket.png

Alternative volume indicators are available as custom indicators at FXCodeBase.com. Please let me know if you have questions about this or any other features of the Trading Station charts.

I’ve been watching the latest developments in Cyprus as I’m sure many other traders have been. Over the past year, you have seen FXCM’s director of government affairs Charles Delano and I talk at length about safety of funds after the MF Global and PFG Best situations, and events in Cyprus continue to highlight how important it is. There have been reassurances from brokers about the safety of client funds but a true test would be to request a withdrawal to ensure the bank account holding client funds truly is outside of Cyprus. I hope everything works out in the end for customers to retain their full funds.

The transparency of a broker’s finances, particularly how much excess capital they have on hand, is important to know in events like this to see if they can sustain the type of hit they will take as a result of the bank levy and continue normal business operations. FXCM is a publicly traded company on the NYSE and our financial information is listed on our website. As of September 30, 2012, FXCM had $230 million in our own net cash available.

I'm glad to read posts on the forum from traders saying they have been able to withdraw funds from their trading accounts in Cyprus so far. One concern is that the new bailout terms might end up hurting traders even more than what was originally proposed. The new terms state that while bank accounts with balances below 100k EUR will now remain intact, accounts with balances above 100k Euros including corporate accounts could face a "haircut" of around 30% instead of the 10% that was originally proposed. That's a big hit for any business to take: http://www.leaprate.com/forex-indus...ut-agreement-is-worse-for-the-fx-brokers.html

We have spoken at length about financial transparency needed within the forex industry so that traders can have a better idea of how much capital their broker has on hand, debt outlook, etc so traders can be better informed about the broker they are trading with. It would do a great deal to put traders at ease if companies would publish exactly how much exposure they have. How much money do they have in the affected Cyprus banks and how much is with banks outside? Do they have enough money to keep their business running even with a 30% hit to their funds in Cyprus? Another concern we are hearing from traders is the possibility of capital controls which could restrict how much money you can withdraw especially for money leaving the country. This may be the second major topic of the crisis: http://blogs.wsj.com/eurocrisis/2013/03/25/cyprus-bailout-qa/

It will be important to watch how things play out this Thursday when the banks in Cyprus are scheduled to re-open, just before the long Easter weekend.

Last edited:
How to See Trade Sessions on Trading Station Charts

Previously, I posted about how you can find and install custom indicators for the Trading Station Charts at FXCodeBase.com. Today, I wanted to tell you more about one of these custom indicators.

tradesession2.png

It's called TradeSessions, and it highlights the primary daytime business hours for the main financial centers. Red is for New York. Green is for London. Light blue is for Sydney, and dark blue is for Tokyo. By knowing when it's daytime in a particular region, you can easily see when there is likely to be more volume or volatility in a particular currency.

You can download TradeSessions for free at FXCodeBase.com. Please let me know if you have questions about this or any other features of the Trading Station charts.

Easter Holiday Trading Hours

Below are the CFD trading hours for Easter. Forex trading hours are as normal.

cfdhoursmarch2013.png

All times above are in GMT.

Last edited:
How to Transfer Indicators to Another Chart

Once you have set up your indicators on a Trading Station chart, it is possible to save them as a chart template. You can then apply that same template to other charts in the future. Here's how:

Step 1: Setup the charts to include your favorite indicators. In this case, we’ve added Bollinger Bands and the ADX indicator.

mbs9yq.png

Step 2: Click on File in the upper left corner and then click on Templates and select Save Template.

1zfihoo.png

Step 3: Enter the name of your new template in the Save Template dialogue box.

2w6uj2h.png

How to apply this template to a new chart

Follow these simple steps to apply your new template to any chart:

Step 1: Open a new chart to apply your new template

2sagd37.png

Step 2: Click on File in the upper left corner and then click on Templates and select Apply Template.

153pwdx.png

Step 3: Click on the line with the template that you would like to apply

6iemgz.png

Step 4: Select Open and your template will be applied to the chart

200ybut.png

Please let me know if you have questions about this or any other features of the Trading Station charts.

How to Send Suggestions Directly to Our Developers

Feedback from our clients is an invaluable resource in helping us continue improving the Trading Station charts. I always welcome your feedback here on the forum, but if you have a suggestion for a particular feature or chart function that you would like to see added to platform, here's how you can send it directly to our software developers from the Trading Station:

Step 1: Clicking on "Help" on the top right hand corner of the Trading Station and then "Provide Feedback"

providefeedback.PNG

Step 2: From there please fill out all the required fields and click on "Send Your Request".

providefeedback1.PNG

New Update Released for Trading Station Mobile

An new update has been released for the Trading Station Mobile platform for smartphones and tablets. New users will automatically download the latest version. Existing users can install the update at the Google Play Store for Android devices or the Apple App Store for iPad and iPhone. Go to Settings > About on the platform to confirm you have the latest version of Trading Station Mobile (Version 1.6.032913).

trading-station-mobile-overview.jpg

New Features

• Faster Login Procedure
  • Option to Store Multiple Usernames
  • New Account Menu
  • MyFXCM Button for Deposits and Withdrawals
  • Economic Calendar Notifications
  • Economic Calendar Filter
  • Collapsible Daily Rows in Economic Calendar
  • DFX News Notifier Indicator
  • Real Time News feed for German and French
  • Trading History Arrows
  • Ability to Save Chart Templates
  • Ability to Customize Pip Format and History Size
  • Ability to Display Calendar Event Description
  • Ability to Run Combined Account Statements
  • Ability to Resize Subchart (Oscillator Indicator) Window
  • New Chart Menu Layout
  • New Pivot Points Indicator
  • Account bar fields are now selectable
  • Additions to Chart View Settings
  • AutoScale Button for Charts
  • Ruler for Price/Candles/Pips
  • Crosshair on chart for Open, High, Low, Close

Re: How to Transfer Indicators to Another Chart

Thanks Jason for this most timely set of posts which have answered th questions in my mind ! I had wanted to know if charts could be saved in Marketscope ! Info about how to create templates and apply them to different charts has been a additional knowledge-bonus !

Now I have just on suggestion to the FXCM Team. I think it is open knowledge that FXCM team also provides the charting software from the Daily FX platform - PowerCharts. It serves a very useful backup (using 2 PCs). But the shock comes when one fine morning the set of saved studies disappear into stratospehre and one has to reprogram the whole lot again - sometimes brain-busting if in a hurry ! Is is not possible to allot a sort of email based registration so that the Saved Programmes would not dsappear. It would save a lot of time for the traders who rely on the escellence of those charts ! It would be of immense help. I have made the same request from the DailyFX forum to Mr. Gregory who moderates that forum and may be as a result of his intervention those charts which I had programmed are still holding but I have no confirmation yet that it would not happen - the disappearance act- and put the users to programming again !

Thanks for your very informative post !

Happy Easter !

Vilas.

Once you have set up your indicators on a Trading Station chart, it is possible to save them as a chart template. You can then apply that same template to other charts in the future. Here's how:

Step 1: Setup the charts to include your favorite indicators. In this case, we’ve added Bollinger Bands and the ADX indicator.

mbs9yq.png

Step 2: Click on File in the upper left corner and then click on Templates and select Save Template.

1zfihoo.png

Step 3: Enter the name of your new template in the Save Template dialogue box.

2w6uj2h.png

How to apply this template to a new chart

Follow these simple steps to apply your new template to any chart:

Step 1: Open a new chart to apply your new template

2sagd37.png

Step 2: Click on File in the upper left corner and then click on Templates and select Apply Template.

153pwdx.png

Step 3: Click on the line with the template that you would like to apply

6iemgz.png

Step 4: Select Open and your template will be applied to the chart

200ybut.png

Please let me know if you have questions about this or any other features of the Trading Station charts.

Re: How to Transfer Indicators to Another Chart

Thanks Jason for this most timely set of posts which have answered th questions in my mind ! I had wanted to know if charts could be saved in Marketscope ! Info about how to create templates and apply them to different charts has been a additional knowledge-bonus !

Now I have just on suggestion to the FXCM Team. I think it is open knowledge that FXCM team also provides the charting software from the Daily FX platform - PowerCharts. It serves a very useful backup (using 2 PCs). But the shock comes when one fine morning the set of saved studies disappear into stratospehre and one has to reprogram the whole lot again - sometimes brain-busting if in a hurry ! Is is not possible to allot a sort of email based registration so that the Saved Programmes would not dsappear. It would save a lot of time for the traders who rely on the escellence of those charts ! It would be of immense help. I have made the same request from the DailyFX forum to Mr. Gregory who moderates that forum and may be as a result of his intervention those charts which I had programmed are still holding but I have no confirmation yet that it would not happen - the disappearance act- and put the users to programming again !

Thanks for your very informative post !

Happy Easter !

Vilas.

Hi Vilas,

I'm glad to hear you found my earlier post useful. In regards to the PowerCharts, settings on those java-based charts are saved in the cache of your web browser. When the browser cache gets cleared out, or gets full, that is when your saved chart settings can get lost. It's interesting you asked about some kind of email-based registration. We are currently exploring a way to have traders save their chart settings and link them to their account login. That way they can then login to any computer and bring up their saved settings. Most likely this would not be on PowerCharts but on a possible future update of Trading Station. I'll let you know here should that feature be added.

Jason

Hi Everyone,

We've recently received reports of traders with other brokers being prohibited from using certain trading strategies like BTN Lightning. Apparently these brokers have gone as far as to freeze the accounts of their clients suspected of using these strategies and even removed past profits from client accounts.

Strategies that involve scalping or trading during news can present challenges for brokers in managing their risk if they operate a dealing desk or if they use STP/NDD but have only one liquidity provider. A sudden influx of buying or selling by many clients all at once can create great difficulty for such a broker, especially during illiquid market events. Not managing this risk effectively can result in the broker taking losses when their clients are profitable. Since these brokers are taking the market risk on the other side of their clients' trades, a profit for the client can mean a loss for the broker. In the end, the broker's interest in remaining in business will often be a deciding factor in how they operate.

At FXCM, we welcome all trading strategies on our No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution (scalp, trade the news, use any EA). On our NDD model, we offset client orders with 10+ liquidity providers which include some of the largest banks in the world. We make our money from client trading volume, not client losses. If you have a profitable strategy that is no longer welcome at your current broker, I encourage you to try FXCM's No Dealing Desk forex execution for yourself.

You've heard FXCM speak at length over the past year about the importance of taking caution in choosing a broker especially in light of recent events with MF Global, PFG, Worldspreads, and Cyprus. You need to make sure you know who you're trading with.

Jason

DailyFX News on Trading Station Mobile

Last week, I mentioned that a new update had been released for Trading Station Mobile (version 1.6.032913). Today I wanted to highlight one of the new features that's been added.

The DailyFX News Notifier lets you view the latest articles, real-time news and the economic calendar from DailyFX.com on your smartphone or tablet.

fxcmmobiledailyfxarticl.jpg

To access the DailyFX News Notifier, select DailyFX News from the menu at the bottom of the Trading Station Mobile platform. By default, it will display real-time news.

fxcmmobiledailyfxcalend.jpg

You can switch to see articles or the calendar by selecting them from the drop down menu at the top left of the DailyFX News Notifier.

You've heard FXCM speak at length over the past year about the importance of taking caution in choosing a broker especially in light of recent events with MF Global, PFG, Worldspreads, and Cyprus. You need to make sure you know who you're trading with.

Definitely, I couldn't agree more, do your due diligence and stay away from the dodgy brokers.

Forex Capital Markets LLC Ordered to Pay More Than $14.2 Million to Settle CFTC Charges Relating to Its Failure to Supervise Customer Accounts

You should have continued by saying: '...that provide the vast majority of Forex liquidity for turn-over by retail traders in retail currency transactions.' Then your statement would have been more complete. Claiming that the "Interbank is not a centralized market," does nothing to remove its existence from reality. Of course, it exists. In fact, you defeated your own statement at the end when you declared the Interbank to be a "network of banks." I think you might be splitting hairs here.

Re: DailyFX News on Trading Station Mobile

Last week, I mentioned that a new update had been released for Trading Station Mobile (version 1.6.032913). Today I wanted to highlight one of the new features that's been added.

The DailyFX News Notifier lets you view the latest articles, real-time news and the economic calendar from DailyFX.com on your smartphone or tablet.

fxcmmobiledailyfxarticl.jpg

To access the DailyFX News Notifier, select DailyFX News from the menu at the bottom of the Trading Station Mobile platform. By default, it will display real-time news.

fxcmmobiledailyfxcalend.jpg

You can switch to see articles or the calendar by selecting them from the drop down menu at the top left of the DailyFX News Notifier.

Hi Jason, just researching for a portable device that will allow me to run marketscope 2 charts anywhere I go etc.

Have you a list of suitable devices ? I don't mind a small screen, but I do need it to run full marketscope charts , which I can then zoom in for detail if need be.

Otherwise am I stuck with a micro laptop ?

I want to export all my settings to a portable device, preferably smaller than a laptop , but it must allow all indicators (custom too) etc as with running marketscope on a normal pc/laptop.

Here dell have the xps 10 tablet. For example http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/XPS-10-tablet/pd?oc=sbnb1003&model_id=XPS-10-tablet&

So, I could get a ' manbag ' (perish the thought) to slip this into , but could I export my desktop trading station which runs marketscope 2 onto the Dell xps 10 tablet, for example. Full functionality of charts is vital you see, so looking for the smallest device that will facilitate that.

Thanks in advance mate.

Last edited:
Re: DailyFX News on Trading Station Mobile

Hi Jason, just researching for a portable device that will allow me to run marketscope 2 charts anywhere I go etc.

Have you a list of suitable devices ? I don't mind a small screen, but I do need it to run full marketscope charts , which I can then zoom in for detail if need be.

Otherwise am I stuck with a micro laptop ?

I want to export all my settings to a portable device, preferably smaller than a laptop , but it must allow all indicators (custom too) etc as with running marketscope on a normal pc/laptop.

Here dell have the xps 10 tablet. For example Dell XPS 10 Tablet

So, I could get a ' manbag ' (perish the thought) to slip this into , but could I export my desktop trading station which runs marketscope 2 onto the Dell xps 10 tablet, for example. Full functionality of charts is vital you see, so looking for the smallest device that will facilitate that.

Thanks in advance mate.

Hi Spinola,

Custom indicators and automation are only available on the desktop version of Trading Station. For that you will need a device using a Windows OS. As far as portable devices go, if you want a tablet, Microsoft's Surface runs on Windows 8. If you want to go the netbook route, there are plenty than run on Windows.

Personally, I use the Toshiba nb505 to run Trading Station Desktop when I'm travelling. It works fine, but the 10.1 screen makes it hard to look at more than 1 chart at a time. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Surface but want to wait until Microsoft comes out with a newer version of their tablet.

Good hunting!

Jason

Thanks Jason, that points me in the direction I need to go. With all these unrelenting tech instruments coming out of late, I've lost sight of the wood for the tree's !

Cheers mate.

:D

One day , we'll all be trading from a smart watch ! (y) Beam me up Scotty.

Thanks Jason, that points me in the direction I need to go. With all these unrelenting tech instruments coming out of late, I've lost sight of the wood for the tree's !

Cheers mate.

:D

One day , we'll all be trading from a smart watch ! (y) Beam me up Scotty.

Never been a watch guy myself. I'd prefer Tom Cruise's setup in Minority Report.

Here Tom is trying to decide where to place his entry order on EUR/JPY:

originalxg.jpg

Hi Jason. Can you tell me why FXCM don't pay interest to their client for the fund that is deposit in the account? FXCM only pay or charge the rollover interest. But the other broker I trade with pay me interest for the funds in my account.

They offer a SAVING account BUT this cannot be used for trading unless you ask to transfer funds to your trading account where you do not earn interest.
So how does TD Waterhouse (your broker) improve upon FXCM ?

"What does a TD Savings Account offer?

The multi currency Savings Account from TD Direct Investing is an instant access deposit account, which will earn you a rate of interest on your savings that are not being used for funding investments.

Access four major currencies (Sterling, Euro, US Dollars and Canadian Dollars) so you can perform transactions in multiple currencies from a single online account.

It is quick and easy to transfer your savings to your Cash Management Services Account so you can react quickly to trading opportunities or pay for transactions that are due to settle.

Please note that money will not be automatically taken from your savings account to pay for trades. You will need to transfer funds from your multi currency Savings account to your Cash Management Services Account in order to pay for trades " :whistling

Jason,

I have been looking on the FXCM Apps website at EAs. Has anyone used any of these? Can you adjust the variables to suit?

Thanks