FX traders: What are your trading hours?

My main trading hours are:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Newk,
I think you have answered the question yourself.
As oilfxpro says "Probably has to do with daily range from midnight . By open of U S session more than 60 % of daily range may have been consumed ,leaving very little reward left ...for the risk involved"
You state that you manage to make money in the morning so obviously you are doing something right,why do you need to be a slave to the screen? Go to the gym the shops, singing ,dance whatever and come back next morning you will be refreshed and be a better trader.

When I started trading forex years ago I would sit in front of my screens for 12-14 hrs a day. I had no life! I would get upset if I saw that the Asian session had moved a hundred pips before I got up in the morning, so I would start watching the market longer hours and got more and more run down and miserable.
Now I don't give a t*ss what happens to the market and how much the thing moves with or without me.I trade from 6-12GMT. Watching price on and off.So I probally only trade 4hrs a day.I make my money before NY even wakes up.I found, like stated previously, the london session is far easier to trade and the market can still put in its daily range.
I've found what works for me and I stick with it.I am very picky about my set ups and if the market doesn't set up the way I want it to I just walk away.I think over the long term one can't maintain a clear mind if your watching a screen for 12+ hours a day every day.Your health will suffer somewhere down the line.

I am qualified to comment on the other issues that affect automated trading, since I have not completed a reliable programme that will stand the test of time

And from the looks of it, you never will . . . .

If one creates a program which adapts to the changing market conditions ,the vast majority of other problems are eliminated

Platforms change and programmes have to rewritten etc , so there is other continuing work all the time

The advantage being one does not become a slave of the markets.

hmmmm . . . do you actually think before you speak? Or does that escape you too? Mike has already stated that he has to put in extra work because markets change and yet here you are harping on about "the vast majority of other problems". And then go on about platform change and programmes being rewritten . . .

Mike, I can only guess that you do what you do and have not gone back to the 2x2 hour sessions is because you make more money this way?

And from the looks of it, you never will . . . .

hmmmm . . . do you actually think before you speak? Or does that escape you too? Mike has already stated that he has to put in extra work because markets change and yet here you are harping on about "the vast majority of other problems". And then go on about platform change and programmes being rewritten . . .

TT

Yes I was just agreeing only with the extra work bit.

Markets might change but if you do your job properly in the first place and devise systems that work in all types of market conditions, one does not have put much extra work.So get your act together and devise systems that work in changing markets

OILFXPRO

Mike, I can only guess that you do what you do and have not gone back to the 2x2 hour sessions is because you make more money this way?

I hate to admit it, but at this moment in time, I don't. I could probably justify the effort and the resulting benefits, but its as much a psychological need on my part to put the hours in.

TT

Yes I was just agreeing only with the extra work bit.

Markets might change but if you do your job properly in the first place and devise systems that work in all types of market conditions, one does not have put much extra work.So get your act together and devise systems that work in changing markets

OILFXPRO

Typical, from the textbook reply, as always. You know, if I were being malicious I'd say that you don't have the slightest idea what it is that you are spouting about. How about you do YOUR job properly in the first place, instead of coming on here telling us about your EA that someone codes for you and you tout about how profitable they are, and yet you have the audacity to say the above.:LOL::LOL:

Mike, if that's your present situation are you thinking of moving back to 2x2 hour sessions, or is there too much at stake and you got yourself in a routine that's hard to break away from?

Mike, if that's your present situation are you thinking of moving back to 2x2 hour sessions, or is there too much at stake and you got yourself in a routine that's hard to break away from?

I'll be sticking with the long days for a while longer, mainly due to the time money and energy already invested, and because I believe its a price worth paying, but its not something I would necessarily recommend.

. How about you do YOUR job properly in the first place, instead of coming on here telling us about your EA that someone codes for you and you tout about how profitable they are, and yet you have the audacity to say the above.

You guys ain't got a clue how to devise systems for changing markets in the first place.If u knew how you wouldn't be hanging around free message boards,u would be doing it for a trading house, the fact that u are here says it all.

To tackle a market rquires many skills ,unfortunately the message board programmers haven't the foggiest as to what to program .Many of them go into the market with one or two skills in their programmes.It is a bit like a builder going to work with only one tool/skill in his tool box ie a hammer , he gets to work and finds he needs ten other tools in his tool box.So next time think before making statements

OILFXPRO

You guys ain't got a clue how to devise systems for changing markets in the first place.If u knew how you wouldn't be hanging around free message boards,u would be doing it for a trading house, the fact that u are here says it all.

To tackle a market rquires many skills ,unfortunately the message board programmers haven't the foggiest as to what to program .Many of them go into the market with one or two skills in their programmes.It is a bit like a builder going to work with only one tool/skill in his tool box ie a hammer , he gets to work and finds he needs ten other tools in his tool box.So next time think before making statements

OILFXPRO

so tell me, dear boy, you going on about your tools that other people program for you? And also the fact that you went on open source forums and took some code off them? And also the fact that you don't know how to answer the most elementary of technical questions regarding indicator addition? And the fact that you constantly try to tout your EA and indicators but don't really know anything technical about them, just cover it up in copyright/trade secret talk? Does all that make the post above of yours credible? Answers on a postcard please. . . . .

And in case you are wondering, I'm here for amusement. I don't ever intend to program indicators or EA, although I'm sure I could and could definitely do a whole better job at it than you or your programmers can.

OILFXPRO

This doesn't really make much sense at all. Why would I possibly want or need to work for anyone else ? :confused:

This doesn't really make much sense at all. Why would I possibly want or need to work for anyone else ? :confused:

Zupcon

If u knew you would do it for yourself but you don't know .I would not work for somebody else

OILFXPRO

Zupcon

If u knew you would do it for yourself but you don't know .I would not work for somebody else

OILFXPRO

right.

so if we knew we would be doing it for a trading house.

and yet you say that if we knew we would do it for ourselves, but we don't know

and yet, since you are trying to give an impression that you know, you say that you won't do it for somebody else?

Now tell me, oily, what part of the this question you do not understand: are you retarded - or are you retarded?

right.

so if we knew we would be doing it for a trading house.

and yet you say that if we knew we would do it for ourselves, but we don't know

and yet, since you are trying to give an impression that you know, you say that you won't do it for somebody else?

Now tell me, oily, what part of the this question you do not understand: are you retarded - or are you retarded?

Temptrader

Most of the whiz kids would look for jobs in the city on 6 figures plus 6 figure bonuses , if they knew how to design great systems , u guys still hang around free message boards

Are u really retarded?You seem not to understand these exchanges that u started in insulting manner.Since you tend to forget the orignal point ,I will detail the whole question.

and yet you say that if we( you and Zupcon) knew how to design systems for changing markets we(you and Zupcon) would not do it for yourselves but for a risk free 6 figure salary plus bonus , but we(u and Z) don't know how to design systems for markets which change.

OILFXPRO

Last edited: