FTSE100 July 2004

Finirama said:
Reason for the tight stop was because i was away from the charts...i don't play with stops anymore...don't need them and copy petes sentiment exactly....food for the MMs

Yeah I have read that a lot......but often wonder...isn't one man's stop another man's limit in many cases? So would be swings and roundabouts for the MM's? Pls feel free to enlighten me on that.

Tnx

All i know (believe) is that Steal for Free r SHADY B#'STARDS and swing the price well off in both directions so as to make extra bucks of suckers who have tight stops.....so in essence my last trade was a sucker trade!!!!! (circumstances though)... i am talking about rolling cash on index prices here

And another thing, by marking prices up/down they also create a bias inticing more people to trade...see it all the time....just my view

Obviously u have suffered @ their hands Fin! Btw, I wasn't disagreeing with u...I don't have a view either way, but each time I read that I wonder......

i have indeed.

I will NOT be doing a summary as Mully does cause its too much work and i don't get out of bed until about 10ish....... so somebody else can do the honours!!

Any suggestions on how we can make things a bit more interesting on the thread?
Daily competion on close perhaps?
Or is there anything in particular that people want to cover?

Let me know
Fin

You might of seen this elsewhere but thought i would attach it since talking about shady MMs.

Attachments

• THE DEADLY ART OF STOCK MANIPULATION.doc
    34 KB · Views: 391
alliance said:
Obviously u have suffered @ their hands Fin! Btw, I wasn't disagreeing with u...I don't have a view either way, but each time I read that I wonder......

There is a principle involved. If the person providing a price is the same one carrying out a stop or limit instruction, then there is the opportunity for manipulation. That is not to accuse anyone of anything. It is simply a statement of fact. I am sure that providers have pretty tight rules about these things but you can be sure they won't be disdvantaged by them themselves either.

Draw your own conclusions and act accordingly.

Regarding stops and SB companies. I have thought that their song should be ' Swing High, Swing Low, Sweet Spread, Coming For To Take You Out '

The weekend sell-off appears to be more of a buy in,.I know the dow is up but as we know it can drop very quickly especially during the last hour. Am I missing something ?

Regards

bracke

Hi Bracke:
Thot u had deserted us! Since I am a lil on the wrong side of this move, I hope ur right and the US maintains it's slideeeeee to the close tendency's ;)

alliance said:
Hi Bracke:
Thot u had deserted us! Since I am a lil on the wrong side of this move, I hope ur right and the US maintains it's slideeeeee to the close tendency's ;)

Doing a bit of lurking, I get the need every now and then.

I still have my long Sept ftse at 4490. I have not closed it as it has 8 weeks to run but my stop is placed at what I think is a strategic position, time will tell.

Regards

bracke

Well it managed to struggle its way up..but as i said b4 it doesn't look to strong...pullback and close slap bang on 100ema on the day chart.

haven't been here for quite a while-I trade ftse index options and I trade futures as a 'side bet'.Recently decided my long at 4410 would hit it's 4412.5 limit as I went off for a bicycle ride-oops! That's my 3rd big stupid loss,and wiped out and then some,all my gains on IB. I'm a good trader,but lousy money manager-I accept losses as part of the game,but rarely think to leave sensible stops in place.Still it's not as if I'm using a spreadbetting firm-I know how hard it is to make 10 ticks in a trade-if the SB firm is taking 6,that's not smart trading.Cheers.

Windlesham1 said:
haven't been here for quite a while-I trade ftse index options and I trade futures as a 'side bet'.Recently decided my long at 4410 would hit it's 4412.5 limit as I went off for a bicycle ride-oops! That's my 3rd big stupid loss,and wiped out and then some,all my gains on IB. I'm a good trader,but lousy money manager-I accept losses as part of the game,but rarely think to leave sensible stops in place.Still it's not as if I'm using a spreadbetting firm-I know how hard it is to make 10 ticks in a trade-if the SB firm is taking 6,that's not smart trading.Cheers.

An expensive bike ride. Have you calculated how much it cost per mile !

Why did you not put a sensible stop in place ?

Regards

bracke

Caution

bracke said:
An expensive bike ride. Have you calculated how much it cost per mile !

Why did you not put a sensible stop in place ?

Regards

bracke
Bad habits,after a string of successes.I had twice missed closing the trade for 6 ticks,and just expected the ftse to 'wobble around' the same area-nobody expects 8 straight down days. I have an extensive library of trading books,but the rarest information is the warning about the euphoria of sucessful trades. I've had a 96% success rate,trading through my broker since Nov '03,but my IB account was for 'scalping' the little trades-I think I was just used to little moves,and should have put a stop in place. Assuming I can trade successfully again,it may take a while just to get back to parity. One technique I use-trade the cash chart-the futures chart is full of the noise of losing trades!
PS - the bike ride?Try £1,000 a mile!

IB = interactive broker fees of only £1,70 per side-ie to trade one future or option £3.40-that's all folks.

Morning All,

Hope you all had a good weekend. Still feeling a bit weary after T-in-the-Park.

Failed attempt to move higher this morning so we are back under under the 100ema on the 30 min chart (which for me acts as resistance), and just had the retest of Fridays close ...so where now? If we break on the upside- i'm looking at 400 and if we break that then upto 420.

On the downside, i've got Fridays open and swing restest at 360 and the low at 320.

Wakey Wakey!...where is everyone?

Wall St disappointed on Fri nt by not slidinggggggg lower, however still running my ftse short(sept) from 384 and keeping the faith ;)

Finirama said:
Are you upto scratch now on divergence Alliance??!!!

:eek: 'Fraid not Fin! All the thumbnails onsite have gone AWOL it seems, so couldn't access them over weekend or this AM. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

How was T? Watched some of it on telly but shame weather was so crappy....still, we should be used to it ...it is July after all :mad: