FTSE, DAX, DOW Trading Ideas and discussions

SPY Open Interest and Levels: Taking open interest at face value, it suggests that the market will be rangebound next week, with very little room to move higher, but room to give back some of last weeks gains. Having said that, I would reiterate that just because it has room to move lower it does not necessarily make shorting the best set-up. If the market is truly breaking out, a very tight sideways range may play out. Given the strength in the NDX, the financial sector, and earnings thus far being more positive (and whether deserved or not are being rewarded), my main bias is a mostly sideways market with shallow dips being bought. Having said that I am always open to being wrong and have a plan for different outcomes. Below I have given a brief outline of different scenarios I have a game plan for (more detailed analysis and daily updates are available in my premium service).
Above 213 offers little risk/reward to the upside and there will likely be some give back. If, however the strength continues to new highs in a parabolic fashion and does not give much back take that as a sign that the move could be a trap and a correction is coming. If that is the case though wait for a signal to get short because the move can be large before turning back (and if you like weekly call options, this would be the time to take advantage).
Between 211.50 (gap from Thursday) and 213 suggests healthy consolidation giving the market an upside bias.
Below 211 and there is potential for the gap area from Monday to be tested which aligns with the second highest strike puts near 209.
Below 209 starts to become more bearish as 207 is the next support and suggests the market move up last week was not indeed a breakout in the making.
Finally, I want to note that the VIX expires Wednesday morning and there is a decent probability that the VIX moves up early in the week to the 14/15 area. If that should happen and SPY drops to one of the support areas mentioned above it is worth a dip buy as long as their are signs present that the market is not in a free fall (breadth indicators, continued tech and financial strength etc).
To Summarize: As of now my bias is a sideways market with dips being an opportunity to get long. Any further parabolic move above 213 without consolidation would suggest a potential for a short term blow off top in the making. Below 209 and last week may have been a trap.

Good luck next week. If you are looking for much more analysis and guidance to trading the recent volatility (including trading options in high beta momentum stocks)
from Sassy options

DOW

Some more charts to oogle at fwiw.

Attaching the same charts in P&F view just out of interest. Likely to make more sense to you Mr D. P&F does seem to have less noise and easier to read breakouts.

I see a LH so last weeks efforts from the bulls were significant but can't help thinking it was simply a Grexit relief rally with not much substance. MACD has pointed up so there is momentum but also good many signals with a negative divergence in the longer weekly time frames of much weakness.

I've stuck that blue arrow in there indicating the move up braking the downward sloping trend line. That was all Grexit stuff from the 13th onwards.

Sharp turn is coming but mugs game calling it. So I'll keep my black grizzly jaws shut. :cheesy:

Having said that I fancy a down/up/down week for the DOW. Lot's of earning reports coming out so should be a good week. (y)

Attachments

• DOW_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    DOW_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    42 KB · Views: 100
  • DOW_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    DOW_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    42.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
DAX

Showing similar breakout to the DOW and consolidated at PP - 11700.

Has momentum and having made a HH from about a fortnight ago and recovering the gaps down, is attempting to break above 11800s (May's highs). Whether bulls have enough steam and good news follows remains to be seen.

Euro is holding at 1.08 and expecting it to bounce towards 1.10. Can't see DAX going anywhere much. Concur with sentiments that we may be consolidating and seeing sideways moves with a downward bias.

Attaching P&F chart for view and shows tredlines a little bit off due to scaling. However, clearly shows LH @ PP-R2 at 11805.

Attachments

• DAX_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    DAX_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    33.7 KB · Views: 140
  • DAX_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    DAX_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    38.6 KB · Views: 150
SPX

SPX chart is scary imo. The first weekly chart clearly shows a continued negative divergence of MACD coupled with a massive burst up having breached three long term upward sloping trendlines in Red.

Having watched D's horror movie I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing drops in volumes and negative divergence with where the market is going.

I do feel a few stocks in total bubble territory skewing the indeces. APPL is likely to be one of them and Tuesday / Wednesday will be riveting. Especially in light of recent developments in China. So straps on for Wednesday morning with a spare chute imo.

Problem is when I look at daily SPX chart it looks very bullish. We've broken above the blue trendline and the gusto with which it's made the highs leaves me out of breath. Think I need to visit spec-savers or something.

I've left the old trendlines 2084 and 2045 in there and feel we will visit these stops again very soon.

I love the daily P&F chart for the Daily SPX in comparison here. The key S/R levels are so easy and clear to see.

PP-S1 @ 2037 looks like a very strong S to me.

Attachments

• SPX_W_150719_Sun.GIF
    SPX_W_150719_Sun.GIF
    37 KB · Views: 99
  • SPX_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    SPX_D_150719_Sun.GIF
    38.9 KB · Views: 80
  • SPX_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    SPX_D_150719_Sun_PF.GIF
    26.3 KB · Views: 156
5 minute data
these inputs give me the right feel of the price action
tracking the trend from 13 july
we are at 50% ar4ea of the latest push upwards...a very sensitive are
could go either way
breakout points/aqua and trend supports are on
there will be other horizontal supports that you can add with candle/bar

dobré ráno (Czech) :)

DAX - 4H Charts - PP Levels...

Markets are icky pooh imo. Have bad vibes. So I guess they'll rise. :LOL:

No real sensible opinion. All mixed up. So I'll watch and take direction from the move on DAX.

fwiw - I fancy a test of PP-S1 @ 11630 for starters.

Attachments

• DAX_4H_150720_sod.GIF
    DAX_4H_150720_sod.GIF
    42.2 KB · Views: 166
you are definitely swearing at us !!

dobré ráno (Czech) :)

DAX - 4H Charts - PP Levels...

Markets are icky pooh imo. Have bad vibes. So I guess they'll rise. :LOL:

No real sensible opinion. All mixed up. So I'll watch and take direction from the move on DAX.

fwiw - I fancy a test of PP-S1 @ 11630 for starters.

a nice one to watch
eurusd on a downtrend on 5 min since last week
now recoiling into res
bad bounce ..shorts in for a kill

a new minor downtrend started on dax this morning on 1 minute
yes..so may get attilla s 11630 for a bull test
watch the bounce from that

you are definitely swearing at us !!

I would never swear at any Dentist, Mr D :LOL:

Might be swearing at the Dax though. :idea:

I see Euro as rising, with a stabilising patient. On 15m looks bullish to me.
I have Parabolic SAR with P&F indicating buy. Chart coming up.

Attachments

• Eruo_15m_150720_sod.GIF
    Eruo_15m_150720_sod.GIF
    41.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited: