From professional poker player to professional trader?

over that sample i paid 90k in mgr. Made about $35k in rakeback from that im guessing.

Yeah, I figured something like that. Which sites do you play? FTP I can see, iPoker I take it?

Nice. Is that PokerOffice? And why is it some of your games show 'hours' of 688 etc? They can't be cash game!? :eek:

software is poker tracker. but i use holdem manager now instead, its better software, provides more stats.

all cash games :)

I just realised i really dont care that much about trading. Its so much more fun to win someones money. I need a holiday and to get my dick wet. I dont need to start from scratch. Also, i know its bad to be emotionally invested in something. But my im basically institutionalised, ive played poker every day almost for 4 years. Its what i know. My brain is basically a range calculating machine, thats all im good for.

:LOL: You sound well qualified...and i'm not kidding btw.

Patience, discipline,risk management and a sound understanding of when to press your advantage.

If you can do all four of the above, then perhaps you should really have a go at trading. I'ts not like trading has to be all time consuming...there are many ways to trade just allowing orders to do the work.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I am also a professional poker player looking to transition into investing and found this interesting. As I have a very similar skill set to the OP I feel that trading is an avenue worth pursuing. However, I am a bit weary about career options in other realms of finance/market analysis if trading does not work out.

I have a degree in finance and a small amount of professional experience (which I have not used in 2 years because I have played poker instead), but if I give trading a shot and it does not work for me, how difficult is it to transition into a salaried role as an analyst or something? Is trading even remotely helpful on a resume if I apply for a different type of financial role? I'm essentially interested in exit strategies if I try trading and learn that it is not for me.

yeah... trading is gonna have far more volatility than that

I would hope your trading graph would look significantly better than this and with far less volatility after nearly 1 million trades.

I hope I'm never in a position where I've made personally 1 million trades!

(unless it's cos I'm immortal. That'd be alright)

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I am also a professional poker player looking to transition into investing and found this interesting. As I have a very similar skill set to the OP I feel that trading is an avenue worth pursuing. However, I am a bit weary about career options in other realms of finance/market analysis if trading does not work out.

I have a degree in finance and a small amount of professional experience (which I have not used in 2 years because I have played poker instead), but if I give trading a shot and it does not work for me, how difficult is it to transition into a salaried role as an analyst or something? Is trading even remotely helpful on a resume if I apply for a different type of financial role? I'm essentially interested in exit strategies if I try trading and learn that it is not for me

I would hope your trading graph would look significantly better than this and with far less volatility after nearly 1 million trades.

"an analyst or something?" what exactly? neither of those terms are particularly specific. first, trading and research analyst require completely different skills. there are probablly few people in the world who can do both. second, to be a research analyst at an IB you need to be well-qualified. IBs usually hire one or two analysts in a year so it is far more difficult than trading and slightly more than investment banking (altho this doesn't mean anything). if your degrees aren't from oxbridge, lse, ucl or warwick the process will be difficult. in addition, the idea of a horizontal switch within an IB is slightly ridiculous at least within decent IBs for the first reason i have given. third, if your talking about buyside, in most cases refer to point 2 (in major financial centres, to work on the buyside you either need to have worked in IR or IB before moving to buyside). however, in peripheral financial centres it will be a lot easier (i.e amsterdam). obviously, traders on the buyside are again completely different. in the vast majority of buyside, traders are execution-only at make no decisions so obviously there would be no oppurtunity for a move.

short answer - no. but it depends. your lack of detail makes it difficult to go beyond the platitudes i have extended above.

btw if your from the US your better asking at wallstreetoasis.com

[lots of good stuff]

btw if your from the US your better asking at wallstreetoasis.com

Thanks for your response. Yes, "analyst" is very vague. I was a financial analyst for a few months prior to playing cards for a living. My primary responsibilities were division-specific financial statement analysis to find weak points within the company. I am 26 now, so I am weary of trying to become a trader (high turnover I imagine), burning out 2 years later, and trying to compete for jobs with recent college graduates. My two years of poker has set me far enough behind as it is in terms of my prior career trajectory. I am willing to take risks, but I want to gauge how big of a risk this venture might be for someone in my situation before jumping in.

I am from the USA, so I will post this on wallstreetoasis as well. Thanks again.

Andy, how has the US shutdown affected you? Are you now re-considering trading as an alternative? Previous poster - I'm guessing that is why you are here asking the question too?