Free Trading Competition

Mr Spread Better

Hi, just to let everyone know that Paddy Power Trader is running a free trading competition, kicking off this Sunday 29th January. It’s a short competition and ends just four weeks later on Thursday 25th February. First prize is €3,000 in Trading Resources in a live Paddy Power Trader account. Runner up prizes amount to €2,750 in Trading Resources. You’ll be able to go long and short on indices, forex, commodities and company shares – over 1,000 markets. Plenty of choice to make your money. There will be weekly updates in The Sunday Times business section and the leaderboard will be updated daily on the Competition webpage.

Anyway best of luck. There are some pretty good prizes to win. You can sign up at this link:
http://www.paddypowertrader.com/competition/

Any questions, please ask.

There's no closing date for the competition – you can enter right up to the final date. As far as numbers go, the leaderboard will be updated every day. It will have the usernames of everyone that’s entered. You’ll be able to see from that how many people have entered.

There was a previous competition in August last year. It was a smaller than this one. As far as results go, I can’t remember who won. I'm afraid I actually can’t remember much of the details about it except that it did happen.

Hi, just to let everyone know that Paddy Power Trader is running a free trading competition, kicking off this Sunday 29th January. It’s a short competition and ends just four weeks later on Thursday 25th February. First prize is €3,000 in Trading Resources in a live Paddy Power Trader account. Runner up prizes amount to €2,750 in Trading Resources. You’ll be able to go long and short on indices, forex, commodities and company shares – over 1,000 markets. Plenty of choice to make your money. There will be weekly updates in The Sunday Times business section and the leaderboard will be updated daily on the Competition webpage.

Anyway best of luck. There are some pretty good prizes to win. You can sign up at this link:
http://www.paddypowertrader.com/competition/

Any questions, please ask.

No sign of a leaderboard. Is this comp running?

Hi Jack, the leaderboard was updated at about 18:00 yesterday evening. It's in an i-frame though and could be caching on you. Hit F5 and it should do the job.

Will competitors be able to reset their accounts when they have blow their money?. Hope not. what did the winning trader have last year? can different people enter from the same ip address? many thanks

Hi Jack, the leaderboard was updated at about 18:00 yesterday evening. It's in an i-frame though and could be caching on you. Hit F5 and it should do the job.

Just realised that the leaderboard doesn't appear using Chrome, but works with IE. Only other problem is that my registered name isn't on the board? Is it based on closed trades or account balance?

Hi Julian, you won't be able to reset your account when you lose your money, but there can be multiple entries from the same IP address. I think that the winner last time got up to about £200K, something like that. Those competition accounts are still valid but all their account balances have been reset to £10K for this competition.

Hi Jack, I wouldn't worry about not being on the first leaderboard. There were some problems with updating it last night including that caching issue. As long as you signed up through the "Create Competition Account" through the Competition page, your account will be in the competition. The second leaderboard, updated at about 14:30 today, will be more complete. If your username doesn't appear on that one, please let me know.

Oh and the winner and leaderboard is determined by Account Valuation. So you don't have to close your trades at the end. If you have a balance of £30K and open profit of £5K, your Account Valuation will be £35K and that's what will be used in the calculations.

Oh and the winner and leaderboard is determined by Account Valuation. So you don't have to close your trades at the end. If you have a balance of £30K and open profit of £5K, your Account Valuation will be £35K and that's what will be used in the calculations.

OK, thanks.

Looks like the only way to do well in these things is to take insane risks and get lucky. No point in trading 'normally'.

Looks like the only way to do well in these things is to take insane risks and get lucky. No point in trading 'normally'.

Unfortunately you're right. It is a flaw in the way that the trading game is constructed in that it doesn’t mirror real trading enough. All the different options of how to run the game were looked at and the current way seemed the simplest and most value adding method. I suppose the trading game is a bit like a poker tournament whereas normal spread betting is like a poker cash game. There are two different strategies to use in poker tournaments and cash games but the underlying principles are the same. You probably will have to get lucky to win the trading game, but there's definitely some skill involved.

But all suggestions are welcome as to how the game could be improved next time. I know that everyone in Paddy Power is willing to try anything to help clients with their trading and keep them happy.

Can you update the leaderboard? My friend didn't sleep last night as he was worried about the competition.

Unfortunately you're right. It is a flaw in the way that the trading game is constructed in that it doesn’t mirror real trading enough. All the different options of how to run the game were looked at and the current way seemed the simplest and most value adding method. I suppose the trading game is a bit like a poker tournament whereas normal spread betting is like a poker cash game. There are two different strategies to use in poker tournaments and cash games but the underlying principles are the same. You probably will have to get lucky to win the trading game, but there's definitely some skill involved.

But all suggestions are welcome as to how the game could be improved next time. I know that everyone in Paddy Power is willing to try anything to help clients with their trading and keep them happy.

It's hard to see an alternative. Unless people actually stand to lose real money by doing badly, the competition will always be won by someone who completely disregards the normal rules of trading. More like 100% risk than 2%!

How about a £50 entrance fee, matched by the organiser, then you get to keep any profit left in the account by the close? With only £100 margin you'd have to be very skilful and careful not to blow the lot with a couple of trades.:)

Can you update the leaderboard? My friend didn't sleep last night as he was worried about the competition.

Hi,

The competition page leaderboard is down at the moment. Sorry about that. This isn't ideal but the latest leaderboard has been simply posted into this blog:
http://www.paddypowertrader.com/blog/index.php/competition/Fantasy-Trading-Competition-Week-3/

The leaderboard will updated again at 15:00 today. I'll put it in a blog post that will appear on the Competition page. I'll also post the link on this forum.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

It's hard to see an alternative. Unless people actually stand to lose real money by doing badly, the competition will always be won by someone who completely disregards the normal rules of trading. More like 100% risk than 2%!

How about a £50 entrance fee, matched by the organiser, then you get to keep any profit left in the account by the close? With only £100 margin you'd have to be very skilful and careful not to blow the lot with a couple of trades.:)

Worldspreads are running a competition using a live account. see link.http://www.worldspreads.ie

I have no affiliation with worldspreads