Forum Search...

I'll look into this tomorrow Richie...

Sharky... perhaps we should have another look at the whole search-concept. I've noticed a lot of veteran members helping point out the direction for newbies who are looking for information.

Because of all the hundreds of threads that often reside in a forum, it can feel like searchin for a needle in a haystack sometimes.

I am just floating an idea here, but perhaps (this might be asking a bit too much) the whole idea can be turned into a more evolutionary search function the likes of musicplasma.com. Users can put in a key word and they the search function returns key threads (for instance Price/Volume), and on screen they get to see keywords that relate to the topic, which if you click on them transfer to the appropriate thread/forum.

This will probably be considerable work to implement, not to mention making a database of keywords, but I remember you saying you had a lot more to time for the site this year Sharky. :p

Two thoughts spring to mind....

1) We ditch the header search mechanisim from a drop-down 'choose the section' to a single unified search thats powered by google. Basically a search for '1-2-3' would search the entire site and return this: site:trade2win.com 1-2-3 - Google Search but in a nicely formatted page within the trade2win website

2) We'll be upgrading to a new version of the forum software shortly, this will support the use of tagging for threads - so you can add tag keywords to thread, and then if you prefer you can search by tag (similar to digg.com)

Two thoughts spring to mind....

1) We ditch the header search mechanisim from a drop-down 'choose the section' to a single unified search thats powered by google. Basically a search for '1-2-3' would search the entire site and return this: site:trade2win.com 1-2-3 - Google Search but in a nicely formatted page within the trade2win website

2) We'll be upgrading to a new version of the forum software shortly, this will support the use of tagging for threads - so you can add tag keywords to thread, and then if you prefer you can search by tag (similar to digg.com)

Two reactions...

(1) I think ditching the current search mechanism for the Google one, is a step in the wrong direction. Then there's no way to look up posts from a certain member, a feature which I've always found useful.

(2) That sounds like a very useful addition (y)

As long as we're reviewing the search function, finding the posts of a particular member in a particular thread would be helpful, particularly those threads that are very long.

FW: We wouldn't be ditching the forum search - just the one in the header (right at the top of the page), you'd still have all the forum functionality with searching.

DB: In fact you can already, at the top of the page -> Search This Thread -> Advanced Search -> Member Name

FW: We wouldn't be ditching the forum search - just the one in the header (right at the top of the page), you'd still have all the forum functionality with searching.
Sorry, my mistake. I hardly ever use the search at the top of the page, it's too limited.

DB: In fact you can already, at the top of the page -> Search This Thread -> Advanced Search -> Member Name

What would be really neat is a way to export all of the posts that the search returns into an open-source format. Kind of like making your own "best of T2W"-collection.

Maybe the search options could also include a filter to search on "quality posts". Suppose you want to look up the latest 10 posts who received the most "recommendations" (reputation points). Or you want to see the posts from member x who got the most recommendations. I'm sure you can think of other combinations.

Bully

pseudo straddle, we notice you haven't posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question

Okay Okay Leave me alone Already!

I'm getting the opposite to the OP -

I put "ftse trading system" into the advanced search [ including quotes ] and got nearly 400 pages of results - that can't be right, surely?

?
:confused:
Ta!

Okay Okay Leave me alone Already!

I'm getting the opposite to the OP -

I put "ftse trading system" into the advanced search [ including quotes ] and got nearly 400 pages of results - that can't be right, surely?

?
:confused:
Ta!

Are you sure? I get 579 if I don't use quotes but only 2 results if I use quotes (one being your post).

Ahh that explains it! OK, what browser do you use, what keyboard have you got, UK, US, Euro? Can you try copying and pasting "ftse trading system" directly from here into the search box. Let's try and figure it out whats going on.

How on earth do you get the Site search facility to work. I am an an IT consulatnt and have tried it on 3 different computers and every single one does not work correctly

As an example, I enter the search term "forex news", entered in quotes and I request that it 'Search Titles Only". What is returned is anything with the word forex rather than "forex news". It makes the search facility unusable when wanting to limit the list by using combined words.

If it helps, I have a standard 101/102 keyboard UK layout.

Any ideas?

searched with your terms and got this result, is it the same as yours?

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?searchid=1881719

without quotes I got

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?searchid=1881700

NO - I get 28 pages. The screen shows that the search term keywords are "Forex News" but it is just using Forex as the search term.

BTW, when I use your link I get 2 entries and the serach term on the screen shows exactly as I have enetered it but they are totally different results. It has to be something to do with not recognising the quotes on my UK keyboard.

This is the page I get

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?searchid=1881625&pp=25

NO - I get 28 pages. The screen shows that the search term keywords are "Forex News" but it is just using Forex as the search term.

BTW, when I use your link I get 2 entries and the serach term on the screen shows exactly as I have enetered it but they are totally different results. It has to be something to do with not recognising the quotes on my UK keyboard.

This is the page I get

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/search.php?searchid=1881625&pp=25

I have no Idea why the search terms are giving different results, site technicals of this nature are not my area, hopefully admin will see this and answer quickly for you.

Thanks Lightning Q for responding.

At least it has highlighted the exact nature of the problem. I am a bit of a techie myself and sure it is to do with the keyboards but not sure how I can get around it.

Hopefully, the techies will be able to resolve it.

I'm not sure what's going on there! Basically it seems to return results of any thread with an occurance of Forex or News when Freefox performs the search, rather than "Forex News" as it should. Works fine for me. Can you tell me freefox exactly where you're searching from (which page, header, drop down or advanced search). And default settings, screenshot would be handy.