Finding Good Market Range

cd173

Hello All

No surpise I'm finding the DAX lately a little hard going! Looking at charts a year or two ago, it seems it had much more range intraday. These days it seems very 'choppy' (if that's the right word) and wonder if this has also occurred on other markets?

Obviously strategies have there good and bad times, but what causes a market to reduce in range and are there calculations to find markets with good trading range intraday? (maybe a silly question?)

Are there still plenty of DAX traders out there?

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
C

cd173 said:
Hello All

No surpise I'm finding the DAX lately a little hard going! Looking at charts a year or two ago, it seems it had much more range intraday. These days it seems very 'choppy' (if that's the right word) and wonder if this has also occurred on other markets?

Obviously strategies have there good and bad times, but what causes a market to reduce in range and are there calculations to find markets with good trading range intraday? (maybe a silly question?)

Are there still plenty of DAX traders out there?

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
C

i used to trade the dax, when it was dancing... since i have moved onto stir's the main contender now i think is the euro dollar future, seems to have nice ranges

Hi Jimmy1

Yes indeed, the EUR/USD futures are looking v good at the mo, range wise.
Currently working on a strategy for it.
So is this the death of the DAX?

hi who knows with the dax, i suppose it depends on how much you want to take out of it, if it only moves in 6 tick ranges maybe use it for sclping 2 ticks?
i now mainly scalp, it suits me move, how many ticks do you like getting out of the avg trade?

I generally go for a 5 to 6 point move with 4 point stop about 5 - 10 trades per day. About 60%-70% success rate on 5min chart. At first glance works well on EUR/USD also.
Would have thought the DAX would be v popular due to contract amount?
What sort of system/time frame do you use (if you don't mind sharing of course)?

Anyone know of a website that charts free delayed intraday DAX?

So, if the dax slows down, ftse slows, eur/usd a bit choppy of late until it makes it mind up which way to go.

Does this mean all the smart money is waiting; or in other markets. If so how best to find out which market, be it bonds, currencies, etc,etc?

options

Interesting post....smart money knows when to stay out the market maybe?
I would have thought a quiet market is due to economic events in part.
Or maybe markets just aren't as good as they used to be due to lack of confidence in the global market.
Back to my original point, how to find a wide ranging intraday market?
Is there some sort of calculation that can be done?
For me the wider the range is a winner.

Anyone??

Cheers
C

jimvt said:
Anyone know of a website that charts free delayed intraday DAX?
... and here's one that charts free LIVE Dax, with no relay, technical analysis parameters available, etc. etc. : http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=^GDAXI

It's not streaming: you have to click on "refresh" to update it. But better than a delay?