ETX prices froze at about 2:50pm - anyone else experience this?

scottfrasernz

Hi

I tried to close a FTSE 'UK 100 daily' position at about 2:50pm today. At this exact moment my prices froze on the ETX platform. The prices shown in the 'Watchlist' window continued to update and flash as usual however, so it appeared that only the prices shown in the 'Open Positions' window were frozen.

To be fair I should state that I can't be 100% certain the 'UK100 daily' prices were still updating in the Watchlist window, as the price was obscured by the 'Close Position' pop-up I had opened.

This situation persisted for several minutes, meanwhile the price continued to fall (I was long). Not only was the price frozen but I could also not close my position, edit stops etc - I could only sit there watching the price fall and a very nice profit turn into a loss.

About 5 minutes later ETX had the courtesy to call me. I was advised that their platform completely froze at that point in time.

Did anyone else experience this, and do you think I should follow this up with ETX? If so, any suggestions as to how I approach this?

Many thanks

Scott

Last edited:
Looking at my charts again it may have been more like 2:35pm. I can't be precise as there is no record of the sell order in their system, I assume because my 'Open Positions' window was locked up.

Be grateful for any input on this from other spread bettors.

ETX called again to update me - the chap was very courteous and identified himself as the head of indices trading. He told me that only the Dow and FTSE index prices were affected by this issue. In fairness to ETX I would like to update the thread title to correct this, but it seems the forum doesn't allow me to do that.

ETX called again to update me - the chap was very courteous and identified himself as the head of indices trading. He told me that only the Dow and FTSE index prices were affected by this issue. In fairness to ETX I would like to update the thread title to correct this, but it seems the forum doesn't allow me to do that.

Did they reimburse you for your loss? This sounds more like a spreadbetting company trick to take money off you.

lol a full 5 posts before the paranoid with a persecution complex come out to play :LOL:

(I've lost money to ETX, but only through bad trades - they've never seemed dodgy to me :))

lol a full 5 posts before the paranoid with a persecution complex come out to play :LOL:

(I've lost money to ETX, but only through bad trades - they've never seemed dodgy to me :))

Amazing how seldom futures platforms freeze yet SB platforms freeze and spike regularly. It's not easy beating the bookie.

I had this happen to me once, on a crude trade and my broker (not ETX) compensated me.
What have ETX offered to do for you? There is no harm in asking.

Did they reimburse you for your loss? This sounds more like a spreadbetting company trick to take money off you.

You know...very often the best thing to do is nothing. All this nonsense of "having to be seen to be doing something" platforms freeze...so what ...find a work around.

As far as ETX go...decent outfit from what i've seen and customer service is rather good compared to others.